User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Postmodernism Breeds Conflict

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,897x in 54,715 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How Postmodernism Breeds Conflict

A history from postmodernism from moral relativism to moral positivism.

How Postmodernism Breeds Conflict

When Allan Bloom published The Closing of the American Mind in 1987, he described an American academy awash in postmodern relativism. Universities, rather than pushing students to find the truth, were inculcating the moral virtue of “openness,” such that the only belief that united anyone was that truth is relative. “What right,” Bloom described students perpetually asking, “do I or anyone else have to say one opinion is better than the others?” Postmodern academics themselves were aware of the phenomenon. In a 2004 essay in the journal Critical Inquiry, social theorist Bruno Latour noted, “Entire PhD programs are still running to make sure that good American kids are learning the hard way that facts are made up.”

...Today’s students, the products of generations of postmodern relativism at every level of American education, are not the amoral hedonists that conservatives feared (a new study published in Child Development showed that teens are having sex, dating and drinking less than they used to). But neither are students the peaceful coexistors that progressives hoped for: One in five students now say that it’s acceptable to use violence to disrupt a controversial speaker. Indeed, campuses today are typified by the opposite of relativism: a new moral positivism. Young people are now comfortable asserting proscriptive norms and calling out rule-breakers, creating a taboo-laden culture that few anticipated.

...Knocking down external truths doesn’t breed peace. It turns society into a field of conflict between personal truths that compete against one another with less and less restraint. It creates social conditions that reward extremism, which becomes a useful adaptation in a Hobbesian moral landscape. Peace, it turns out, comes from hegemonic values — on agreement between us about what is true.

Postmodernism was supposed to liberate us from myths masquerading as facts. The problem is that a society can achieve nothing — including liberty, including social justice — without collective trust. And trust depends on fellow citizens feeling bound together by shared truths, values, and, yes, myths. Without them, society atomizes and degenerates into a war of all against all, an agglomeration of “selves” seeking to project power — the only truth that postmodernism knows. If we’d prefer to have a society instead of scorched earth, we must agree to be bound by truths and values and myths that lie outside ourselves. These truths and values and myths will be imperfect, they will be contingent, and they will be ripe for critique. But if we decide they don’t exist at all, soon enough, neither will we.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-14-2018)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Postmodernism huh? you betcha, that there thingy thing done wreaked the minds of the average American so much they is truly surely conflicted. I'd bet 98 percent of Americans have no idea what PM is although they may think it has something to do with afternoons. Ah come on, the end is always near for right wing writers, I can't call them thinkers. And don't that conflict with their other great fear, PC, not your laptop but political correctness. You can't have both destroying America now can we? On the one hand we don't know what's right or wrong and on the other we think too much emphasis is on right or wrong. Bah humbug.

"In our postmodern culture which is TV dominated, image sensitive, and morally vacuous, personality is everything and character is increasingly irrelevant." David F. Wells

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-donald-trump
    Last edited by midcan5; 10-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,527x in 94,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    LOL Postmodernism huh? you betcha, that there thingy thing done wreaked the minds of the average American so much they is truly surely conflicted. I'd bet 98 percent of Americans have no idea what PM is although they may think it has something to do with afternoons. Ah come on, the end is always near for right wing writers, I can't call them thinkers. And don't that conflict with their other great fear, PC, not your laptop but political correctness. You can't have both destroying America now can we? On the one hand we don't know what's right or wrong and on the other we think too much emphasis is right or wrong. Bah humbug.

"In our postmodern culture which is TV dominated, image sensitive, and morally vacuous, personality is everything and character is increasingly irrelevant." David F. Wells

Of your ~2800 posts perhaps 3 or 4 were worthwhile- I thanked you maybe once. This one is not one of them.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,897x in 54,715 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    LOL Postmodernism huh? you betcha, that there thingy thing done wreaked the minds of the average American so much they is truly surely conflicted. I'd bet 98 percent of Americans have no idea what PM is although they may think it has something to do with afternoons. Ah come on, the end is always near for right wing writers, I can't call them thinkers. And don't that conflict with their other great fear, PC, not your laptop but political correctness. You can't have both destroying America now can we? On the one hand we don't know what's right or wrong and on the other we think too much emphasis is on right or wrong. Bah humbug.

Based on you're response, I'd say you belong to the 98%. It's odd, though, you quote someone who seems to understand it: ""In our postmodern culture which is TV dominated, image sensitive, and morally vacuous, personality is everything and character is increasingly irrelevant." David F. Wells"
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread