Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I have always believed that a balanced diet is the key to good health. That and portion control. I like eggs, but I don't eat them every day because then I would get sick of them. I like a lot of things, including meat cooked with a little fat on it, so it tastes like something and doesn't have to be drowned in some sauce to make it palatable. It's not like I eat a lot of anything. I only occasionally even eat a cookie, because I rarely crave sweets.

Genetics play a role in high unhealthy levels of LDL cholesterol, along with obesity and particularly unhealthy diets. You could in fact consume a perfectly good diet and still have excessive LDL levels. Rather than statins, it is probably better to eat high fiber foods that reduce LDL levels naturally. I suspect that some people have higher fiber and exercise requirements than others because of their genetic history.
    I admire your eating style. Mine is so the opposite. I love to eat. I don't use portion control at all. About 10 years ago or so I took vows to eat all natural all no processed foods. I didn't eat one drop of flour, bread, or anything from a can. All food was what I cooked and made all natural. I also didn't eat meat or dairy not any. I ate all fruits and vegetable, beans, rice, homemade soups, and nuts of every kind. I was able to eat all I wanted and I maintained a weight of anywhere from 115 to 125 over all 10 years.

I had come up with a theory, you know how I am with my theories. I might be wrong it is just my theory. I thought, that the reason that we get fat when we eat is because we eat processed foods, and our bodies do not know how to process that kind of food, and store it as fat. But when we eat all natural our bodies know exactly how to process that food, because we have been processing that all natural food since humanity began. I think we are not evolved enough to handle the processed foods and our bodies don't know what to do with it. It is only in the last 100 years or so that we have been eating so much processed food.

I think of processed food kind of like a formula almost like fake food just food to feed the masses. I don't know those are just my thoughts on processed foods. Oh yeah and I also allowed myself to eat olive oil, and some frozen vegetables if I was going to be cooking them anyways, since there is nothing added to the frozen vegetables. They are washed and frozen.

I don't want to lie and say I am still eating like that or am still that same weight. I don't need to share, but I believe is speaking the truth. Because of health complications from a medication I took, I had to step off that diet while I heal. Once healed I will go back.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-14-2018),Peter1469 (10-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eggs are good... wait, eggs are bad. No, eggs are good.

Alcohol is good in moderation... wait, no. Yes, but wine. No... wait

Supplements work... wait, no, you have to drink orange juice. No, still doesn't work. Just take this pill, everything will be fine but you might need more, does your foot hurt?

Game
    my junk is ugly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-15-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statins are problematic and cause more harm than good. They are way over-prescribed. But they are a "life-time" drug and a big money maker for Big Pharma. If you must take one, supplement with CoQ10 because statins leach it from your body and you need it to live.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,250
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I admire your eating style. Mine is so the opposite. I love to eat. I don't use portion control at all. About 10 years ago or so I took vows to eat all natural all no processed foods. I didn't eat one drop of flour, bread, or anything from a can. All food was what I cooked and made all natural. I also didn't eat meat or dairy not any. I ate all fruits and vegetable, beans, rice, homemade soups, and nuts of every kind. I was able to eat all I wanted and I maintained a weight of anywhere from 115 to 125 over all 10 years.

I had come up with a theory, you know how I am with my theories. I might be wrong it is just my theory. I thought, that the reason that we get fat when we eat is because we eat processed foods, and our bodies do not know how to process that kind of food, and store it as fat. But when we eat all natural our bodies know exactly how to process that food, because we have been processing that all natural food since humanity began. I think we are not evolved enough to handle the processed foods and our bodies don't know what to do with it. It is only in the last 100 years or so that we have been eating so much processed food.

I think of processed food kind of like a formula almost like fake food just food to feed the masses. I don't know those are just my thoughts on processed foods. Oh yeah and I also allowed myself to eat olive oil, and some frozen vegetables if I was going to be cooking them anyways, since there is nothing added to the frozen vegetables. They are washed and frozen.

I don't want to lie and say I am still eating like that or am still that same weight. I don't need to share, but I believe is speaking the truth. Because of health complications from a medication I took, I had to step off that diet while I heal. Once healed I will go back.
    I admire your ability to go totally vegan - I'm not sure that I could. I have this thing in the back of my head based on all the vegans than I have known. They have generally looked rather unhealthy and it's not the fact that they were thin, because I was rather thin for most of my life ( i.e. at one point 5"9" and 105 pounds), but I didn't look like I was starving. It shows in the face. Perhaps its just the vegans that I have encountered that gave that impression. Vegetarians on the other hand, in my experience, have for the most part been overweight. They consume insufficient protein relative to carbohydrates.

I agree with the fact that our bodies don't know what to do with processed foods and part of me thinks that shortening human lifespan is in the interests of some.

I am averse to medications, beyond the usual over the counter remedies for pain or flu symptoms. There is far too much collusion between big pharma and the medical profession.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-15-2018),Peter1469 (10-15-2018)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I admire your ability to go totally vegan - I'm not sure that I could. I have this thing in the back of my head based on all the vegans than I have known. They have generally looked rather unhealthy and it's not the fact that they were thin, because I was rather thin for most of my life ( i.e. at one point 5"9" and 105 pounds), but I didn't look like I was starving. It shows in the face. Perhaps its just the vegans that I have encountered that gave that impression. Vegetarians on the other hand, in my experience, have for the most part been overweight. They consume insufficient protein relative to carbohydrates.

I agree with the fact that our bodies don't know what to do with processed foods and part of me thinks that shortening human lifespan is in the interests of some.

I am averse to medications, beyond the usual over the counter remedies for pain or flu symptoms. There is far too much collusion between big pharma and the medical profession.
    Wow 5'9 105 that is very slender for sure. Amazing, not me I am 5'3 so I would be considered a chunky girl compared to you. I didn't think I ever looked too thin. But maybe after I got sick yeah it did happen that way. But for the most part I think I was normal, but I could be wrong. Maybe others would have seen me like that. My mother didn't like it at all. She would rather have me as fat. But yeah there are draw backs to being a vegan for sure. I did it as a vow so I stuck with it. But I was very careful and made sure I ate lots of proteins in the form of beans and nuts. I never used the word vegan or vegetarian. I just don't fit in that crowd very well, I am no yoga chick that is for sure. I also eat my food a bit different than most vegans. But you know they say you can't eat potatoes or rice that it will make you fat. I didn't find that to be the case. I was able to eat all I wanted to.

That being said I don't think being completely vegan is the way to go. Even though I would do it again, and hopefully will. I think there is great benefit to eating an egg here and there and having some healthy fats mixed in with a healthy diet. So I would not recommend it to another person.

You are so right about the medication, very smart. I wont even take a Tylenol now. I just trusted it because the prescribing dr was one of the top drs at UW. But now I know better. I now know they are paid commission to prescribe that stuff, in the end it is my own bad for taking it in the first place.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-15-2018),Peter1469 (10-15-2018)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,651x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Once again, the totally corrupt US government is caught promulgating faulty and dangerous dietary and health guidelines.

The number of people in America who have died or gotten sick because of US government policy is easily in the millions.

Unsurprisingly, these dangerous policies are driven by special interest groups who profit from government propaganda and regulations: The medical establishment with their pill factories and drug pushers (AKA physicians), the sugar industry which sells the heroin version of food, the prison and law enforcement complexes which suck up billions in tax dollars, etc. They are the ones pushing this garbage on the American people.
    Yup. Monsanto owned and operated

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Once again, the totally corrupt US government is caught promulgating faulty and dangerous dietary and health guidelines.

The number of people in America who have died or gotten sick because of US government policy is easily in the millions.

Unsurprisingly, these dangerous policies are driven by special interest groups who profit from government propaganda and regulations: The medical establishment with their pill factories and drug pushers (AKA physicians), the sugar industry which sells the heroin version of food, the prison and law enforcement complexes which suck up billions in tax dollars, etc. They are the ones pushing this garbage on the American people.
    I don't understand how this is "the government".

"The government" doesn't make recommendations much less give directions to the AMA, hospitals, or your personal physician regarding your treatment.

The people you need to be pissed at is the pharmacy industry. It's in their best interest to keep selling you expensive drugs you don't need.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-15-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post

"The government" doesn't make recommendations much less give directions to the AMA, hospitals, or your personal physician regarding your treatment.

The people you need to be pissed at is the pharmacy industry. It's in their best interest to keep selling you expensive drugs you don't need.
    Especially a drug like a Statin which is a lifetime long drug. And many are calling for more people to take them.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force on Sunday issued new guidance for the use of cholesterol-busting statin drugs. The report greatly expands the universe of people who should be screened to see if they need the medication to everyone over age 40 regardless of whether they have a history of cardiovascular disease.

The recommendations also support the position of the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association, which in 2013 radically shifted their advice from suggesting that doctors focus on the level of a patient’s low-density lipoproteins (LDL) or “bad cholesterol” to looking at a more comprehensive picture of risk based on things such as weight and blood pressure, as well as lifestyle factors.

“People with no signs, symptoms, or history of cardiovascular disease can still be at risk for having a heart attack or stroke,” said Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, who chairs the task force.
    I would not take them under any circumstance.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,583x in 26,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Did you read the article?

Federal dietary policy is shaped by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), which meets every five years to update its findings. The government touts the DGAC and the dietary guidelines it develops as "an important resource to help our Nation reach its highest standard of health."

The federal government's war on cholesterol, as early DGAC recommendations suggest, dates back decades. For example, the 1995 DGAC report stressed the dangers of dietary cholesterol.

"Most people are aware that high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet are linked to increased blood cholesterol levels and a greater risk for heart disease," it declares. "Choosing foods with less cholesterol and saturated fat will help lower your blood cholesterol levels."

The US government has been pushing anti-fat and anti-cholesterol propaganda for decades.

The US government has been issuing dietary guidelines and regulations for decades. And those guidelines and regulations were motivated largely by the influence of special interest groups like the AMA and the sugar industry.

I criticized them in my opening post. I'm pissed at them and the government.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-15-2018)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,250
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Wow 5'9 105 that is very slender for sure. Amazing, not me I am 5'3 so I would be considered a chunky girl compared to you. I didn't think I ever looked too thin. But maybe after I got sick yeah it did happen that way. But for the most part I think I was normal, but I could be wrong. Maybe others would have seen me like that. My mother didn't like it at all. She would rather have me as fat. But yeah there are draw backs to being a vegan for sure. I did it as a vow so I stuck with it. But I was very careful and made sure I ate lots of proteins in the form of beans and nuts. I never used the word vegan or vegetarian. I just don't fit in that crowd very well, I am no yoga chick that is for sure. I also eat my food a bit different than most vegans. But you know they say you can't eat potatoes or rice that it will make you fat. I didn't find that to be the case. I was able to eat all I wanted to.

That being said I don't think being completely vegan is the way to go. Even though I would do it again, and hopefully will. I think there is great benefit to eating an egg here and there and having some healthy fats mixed in with a healthy diet. So I would not recommend it to another person.

You are so right about the medication, very smart. I wont even take a Tylenol now. I just trusted it because the prescribing dr was one of the top drs at UW. But now I know better. I now know they are paid commission to prescribe that stuff, in the end it is my own bad for taking it in the first place.
    Just listen to the side effects that they are forced to reveal when the advertise new drugs on television. I usually find that the side effects sound worse than what the medication is supposed to be treating! How can that be good?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-15-2018),Peter1469 (10-15-2018)

+ Reply to Thread