Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong

(Reason) New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong

Baylen Linnekin | September 22, 2018

A comprehensive new study on cholesterol, based on results from more than a million patients, could help upend decades of government advice about diet, nutrition, health, prevention, and medication. Just don't hold your breath.

The study, published in the Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology, centers on statins, a class of drugs used to lower levels of LDL-C, the so-called "bad" cholesterol, in the human body. According to the study, statins are pointless for most people.

"No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading physicians have claimed" in the study, reports the Daily Mail. The Express likewise says the new study finds "no evidence that high levels of 'bad' cholesterol cause heart disease."

The study also reports that "heart attack patients were shown to have lower than normal cholesterol levels of LDL-C" and that older people with higher levels of bad cholesterol tend to live longer than those with lower levels.
    Once again, the totally corrupt US government is caught promulgating faulty and dangerous dietary and health guidelines.

The number of people in America who have died or gotten sick because of US government policy is easily in the millions.

Unsurprisingly, these dangerous policies are driven by special interest groups who profit from government propaganda and regulations: The medical establishment with their pill factories and drug pushers (AKA physicians), the sugar industry which sells the heroin version of food, the prison and law enforcement complexes which suck up billions in tax dollars, etc. They are the ones pushing this garbage on the American people.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

donttread (10-15-2018),Just AnotherPerson (10-14-2018),ODB (10-14-2018),Peter1469 (10-14-2018),The Xl (10-15-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My entire life medical studies that guide our lives keep turning out to be wrong. Then you have to do the opposite then they find out thats wrong.

Recently I read drs have been treating high cholesterol when its triglycerides are the killer.

My father who signed his name with an X always said I dont listen to them, I do everything in moderation, it worked for him he lived to be 87 and was a heavy smoker for over 70 yrs and smoked till the day he died.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-14-2018),Peter1469 (10-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,547x in 94,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Once again, the totally corrupt US government is caught promulgating faulty and dangerous dietary and health guidelines.

The number of people in America who have died or gotten sick because of US government policy is easily in the millions.

Unsurprisingly, these dangerous policies are driven by special interest groups who profit from government propaganda and regulations: The medical establishment with their pill factories and drug pushers (AKA physicians), the sugar industry which sells the heroin version of food, the prison and law enforcement complexes which suck up billions in tax dollars, etc. They are the ones pushing this garbage on the American people.
    Your brain is largely made up of cholesterol. You need it to live. This is not new news. Perhaps mainstream medicine is waking up regarding this issue. I prefer HDL to be higher than LDL, but you can control that with diet.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (10-14-2018),Just AnotherPerson (10-14-2018)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought that the scaremongering about eggs was nonsense and the whole cholesterol theory was weak. I think that, as you correctly identify, that excessive sugar and starch in people's diets is primarily responsible for obesity, diabetes and a decline in health and that comes down to processed foods that are full of sugar and chemicals. I think that there is also a culture of overeating which also promotes obesity and health problems. Restaurants tend to encourage people to overeat rather than be accused of being stingy with food (well, except for the really high-end places that don't serve enough to feed a small child). I once ordered roast beef at the Mariott Hotel in NYC and received a 3-pound roast on my plate, plus sides. I asked who else was going to eat this with me because it could serve a family of five.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Common (10-14-2018),Ethereal (10-14-2018),Just AnotherPerson (10-14-2018),Peter1469 (10-14-2018)

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Discover) The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race

The advent of agriculture was a watershed moment for the human race. It may also have been our greatest blunder.

By Jared Diamond|Saturday, May 01, 1999

...One straight forward example of what paleopathologists have learned from skeletons concerns historical changes in height. Skeletons from Greece and Turkey show that the average height of hunger-gatherers toward the end of the ice ages was a generous 5' 9'' for men, 5' 5'' for women. With the adoption of agriculture, height crashed, and by 3000 B. C. had reached a low of only 5' 3'' for men, 5' for women. By classical times heights were very slowly on the rise again, but modern Greeks and Turks have still not regained the average height of their distant ancestors.

Another example of paleopathology at work is the study of Indian skeletons from burial mounds in the Illinois and Ohio river valleys. At Dickson Mounds, located near the confluence of the Spoon and Illinois rivers, archaeologists have excavated some 800 skeletons that paint a picture of the health changes that occurred when a hunter-gatherer culture gave way to intensive maize farming around A. D. 1150. Studies by George Armelagos and his colleagues then at the University of Massachusetts show these early farmers paid a price for their new-found livelihood. Compared to the hunter-gatherers who preceded them, the farmers had a nearly 50 per cent increase in enamel defects indicative of malnutrition, a fourfold increase in iron-deficiency anemia (evidenced by a bone condition called porotic hyperostosis), a theefold rise in bone lesions reflecting infectious disease in general, and an increase in degenerative conditions of the spine, probably reflecting a lot of hard physical labor. "Life expectancy at birth in the pre-agricultural community was about twenty-six years," says Armelagos, "but in the post-agricultural community it was nineteen years. So these episodes of nutritional stress and infectious disease were seriously affecting their ability to survive."

The evidence suggests that the Indians at Dickson Mounds, like many other primitive peoples, took up farming not by choice but from necessity in order to feed their constantly growing numbers. "I don't think most hunger-gatherers farmed until they had to, and when they switched to farming they traded quality for quantity," says Mark Cohen of the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, co-editor with Armelagos, of one of the seminal books in the field, Paleopathology at the Origins of Agriculture. "When I first started making that argument ten years ago, not many people agreed with me. Now it's become a respectable, albeit controversial, side of the debate."

There are at least three sets of reasons to explain the findings that agriculture was bad for health. First, hunter-gatherers enjoyed a varied diet, while early farmers obtained most of their food from one or a few starchy crops. The farmers gained cheap calories at the cost of poor nutrition, (today just three high-carbohydrate plants — wheat, rice, and corn — provide the bulk of the calories consumed by the human species, yet each one is deficient in certain vitamins or amino acids essential to life.) Second, because of dependence on a limited number of crops, farmers ran the risk of starvation if one crop failed. Finally, the mere fact that agriculture encouraged people to clump together in crowded societies, many of which then carried on trade with other crowded societies, led to the spread of parasites and infectious disease. (Some archaeologists think it was the crowding, rather than agriculture, that promoted disease, but this is a chicken-and-egg argument, because crowding encourages agriculture and vice versa.) Epidemics couldn't take hold when populations were scattered in small bands that constantly shifted camp. Tuberculosis and diarrheal disease had to await the rise of farming, measles and bubonic plague the appearance of large cities.

...CONTINUED...
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-14-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I've always thought that the scaremongering about eggs was nonsense and the whole cholesterol theory was weak. I think that, as you correctly identify, that excessive sugar and starch in people's diets is primarily responsible for obesity, diabetes and a decline in health and that comes down to processed foods that are full of sugar and chemicals. I think that there is also a culture of overeating which also promotes obesity and health problems. Restaurants tend to encourage people to overeat rather than be accused of being stingy with food (well, except for the really high-end places that don't serve enough to feed a small child). I once ordered roast beef at the Mariott Hotel in NYC and received a 3-pound roast on my plate, plus sides. I asked who else was going to eat this with me because it could serve a family of five.
    Bingo and everything you said raises triglycerides
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-14-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly true. And people on statins get diabetes. I had several relatives who were put on statins, and developed diabetes right away. Also we need the oil in our body to produce myelin. The statins strip this essential stuff away and people get really sick with stuff like Alzheimer's and nervous system problems. We need Omega 3 fats, sorry I don't know what everything is called been a while since I learned all this. Here is a copy and paste about Myelin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelin
    Myelin is a lipid -rich (fatty) substance formed in the central nervous system(CNS) by glialcells called oligodendrocyte, and in the peripheral nervous system (PNS) by Schwann cells. Myelin insulates nerve cell axons to increase the speed at which information (encoded as an electrical signal) travels from one nerve cell body to another (as in the CNS) or, for example, from a nerve cell body to a muscle (as in the PNS).

Here is info on the foods that can help repair Myelin https://www.livestrong.com/article/1...quid-lecithin/

Myelin, a fatty substance, insulates your nerves and makes nerve impulse conduction faster and more efficient. Trauma and some health conditions can degrade or damage myelin. Certain foods contain building blocks that your body uses to manufacture high-quality myelin to promote optimal nerve function and faster healing of damaged nerves.

statins cause diabetes https://www.consumerreports.org/drug...ger-diabetes-/

Statins and low fat diet may cause Alzheimer's http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/the...se-alzheimers/

I have also heard things like oil is bad for you and eggs, but some say they are very good for you specifically coconut oil and eggs. They say it is a myth that they are bad for you.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had high levels of bad cholestoral and had to have a 5 bypass surgery. I almost died. I take two statins and have it under control. Chloestoral is the problem.''My doctor disagrees and i trust him more than some
    group called
    Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology

Maybe they should have asked me or all the people I went through therapy with. They all had high bad cloestroral
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In terms of statin drugs... I would advise against unless you have explored literally every other option. It's one of the drug classifications that can really cause more harm. But it also helps a lot of people. Still, I told my mom to tell me if she is ever prescribed one. They are too easily prescribed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-14-2018)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    This is exactly true. And people on statins get diabetes. I had several relatives who were put on statins, and developed diabetes right away. Also we need the oil in our body to produce myelin. The statins strip this essential stuff away and people get really sick with stuff like Alzheimer's and nervous system problems. We need Omega 3 fats, sorry I don't know what everything is called been a while since I learned all this. Here is a copy and paste about Myelin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelin
    Myelin is a lipid -rich (fatty) substance formed in the central nervous system(CNS) by glialcells called oligodendrocyte, and in the peripheral nervous system (PNS) by Schwann cells. Myelin insulates nerve cell axons to increase the speed at which information (encoded as an electrical signal) travels from one nerve cell body to another (as in the CNS) or, for example, from a nerve cell body to a muscle (as in the PNS).

Here is info on the foods that can help repair Myelin https://www.livestrong.com/article/1...quid-lecithin/

Myelin, a fatty substance, insulates your nerves and makes nerve impulse conduction faster and more efficient. Trauma and some health conditions can degrade or damage myelin. Certain foods contain building blocks that your body uses to manufacture high-quality myelin to promote optimal nerve function and faster healing of damaged nerves.

statins cause diabetes https://www.consumerreports.org/drug...ger-diabetes-/

Statins and low fat diet may cause Alzheimer's http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/the...se-alzheimers/

I have also heard things like oil is bad for you and eggs, but some say they are very good for you specifically coconut oil and eggs. They say it is a myth that they are bad for you.
    I have always believed that a balanced diet is the key to good health. That and portion control. I like eggs, but I don't eat them every day because then I would get sick of them. I like a lot of things, including meat cooked with a little fat on it, so it tastes like something and doesn't have to be drowned in some sauce to make it palatable. It's not like I eat a lot of anything. I only occasionally even eat a cookie, because I rarely crave sweets.

Genetics play a role in high unhealthy levels of LDL cholesterol, along with obesity and particularly unhealthy diets. You could in fact consume a perfectly good diet and still have excessive LDL levels. Rather than statins, it is probably better to eat high fiber foods that reduce LDL levels naturally. I suspect that some people have higher fiber and exercise requirements than others because of their genetic history.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-14-2018)

+ Reply to Thread