Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,495x in 2,836 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    this is a public political forum you do not have the privilege of choosing just specifically you want to talk to. If that is the case, take it to pm's where no one will inject themselves into your so-call private conversation.
    today's victim card:

you still don't get it.........................you'll never get it
    We'll this affirmation didn't take long. LOL!!!!!
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-16-2018),Orion Rules (10-16-2018)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Sea lioning is a passive-aggressive trolling tactic commonly used online that you may have experienced before. (The term comes from a web comic strip involving a sea lion character who appears out of nowhere to persistently interrogate another character who was speaking to someone else with repeated "civil" requests for information.) It involves repeated, disingenuous requests for basic information offered under a pretense of civility that are intended to gradually wear down the other party until they become frustrated. Here's sort of how it typically works:

YOU: I take position X.

SEA LION: *randomly intervenes in conversation you were having with someone else* I would like to agree with you, but I don't know anything about this issue. Could you explain it to me, with sources, as apparently my fingers are broken and I cannot use Google to research basic information on my own?

YOU: Here is some basic information on this subject explaining what is at issue and my position: *links it took you 30 minutes to round up*

SEA LION: I don't accept your sources. What else do you have for me?

YOU: Okay then, here is what my lived experienced around this issue has been. *spends another 20 minutes writing out an explanation*

SEA LION: I don't accept your lived experience either. What else do you have for me?

YOU: You know what, $#@! off! You're clearly just trying to get on my nerves.

SEA LION: Hey, there's no call for yelling. Why are you so upset? I was just wanted to have a civil, reasonable conversation in good faith and be educated about this issue. You made a claim on the internet. Are you saying that you're unable to substantiate your opinion?

I was recently dealing with one such person elsewhere. Do you ever encounter this kind of annoying behavior?
    You must have missed the thread where I was informed that there is no such thing as passive/aggressive.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,265x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmeister View Post
    We'll this affirmation didn't take long. LOL!!!!!
    for what? The truth?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sea lioning is a passive-aggressive trolling tactic commonly used online that you may have experienced before. (The term comes from a web comic strip involving a sea lion character who appears out of nowhere to persistently interrogate another character who was speaking to someone else with repeated "civil" requests for information.) It involves repeated, disingenuous requests for basic information offered under a pretense of civility that are intended to gradually wear down the other party until they become frustrated. Here's sort of how it typically works:

SEA LION: *randomly intervenes in conversation you were having with someone else* I would like to agree with you, but I don't know anything about this issue. Could you explain it to me, with sources, as apparently my fingers are broken and I cannot use Google to research basic information on my own?

YOU: Here is some basic information on this subject explaining what is at issue and my position: *links it took you 30 minutes to round up*

YOU: Okay then, here is what my lived experienced around this issue has been. *spends another 20 minutes writing out an explanation*

SEA LION: I don't accept your lived experience either. What else do you have for me?

SEA LION: Hey, there's no call for yelling. Why are you so upset? I was just wanted to have a civil, reasonable conversation in good faith and be educated about this issue. You made a claim on the internet. Are you saying that you're unable to substantiate your opinion?

I was recently dealing with one such person elsewhere. Do you ever encounter this kind of annoying behavior?
    Hell-o IMpress Polly, could they have been the same person since the same type of thing happened before? (Because it is a 'known' from before). Their whole worry seems to be economic, but more than that even, how they feel the need to exert power and control over someone they have never even encountered anywhere except in a forum. It's the only place they can get away with it, because anywhere else, it wouldn't be happening. There is no equality with them, they are your higher power always, and you better never forget it either. You will always be deemed as a lesser denomination than they are, but who would wish to be like them even, or be present in their company anywhere? They can't even get along with themselves and expect you to. They are skilled in lies and willful misrepresentations, that's all.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for what? The truth?
    No. The existence of sea lions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-16-2018)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,265x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmeister View Post
    No. The existence of sea lions.
    they are very fierce creatures....proud to be called one......can I get an "amen?"
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are very fierce creatures....proud to be called one......can I get an "amen?"
    Amen brother.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (10-16-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public forums are open to anyone. There are no private conversations.

The rest is a good, simple definition of deflection. It's pretty common. "I'm losing so I need to deflect."

I will take issue with the "source" statement. I doubt you would accept Fox News or Hannity as legitimate sources any mote than I accept CNN or MSNBC.

Otherwise you're spot on. It's not rare.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I just call them trolls. I noticed this tactic from the very beginnig. I didnt know it had a name though. But yeah pretty pathetic. I also call it Scientology like tactics. The scientologists use this when attacking others. It is a form of mental attack. The trolls use this tactic to wear you down so that you will leave the forum. If they do not agree with your views they do not want you there. Thank you for sharing that. People should know.

You should also know that there are many organizations that are heavily funded by people like the Kochs and Soros, and they do pay people to post in forums. Of course they would like to change the political climate. They would like to bust a forum down to only have members of the side of their liking. Or views that line up with their beliefs. they understand the power of opinion and they know if they say something publicly online that others will think it is a real persons opinion, and then others are likely to adopt that opinion, and spread it in the real world. But many times these are not real persons opinions but the opinions of a corporation who is trying to change minds.

Conspiracy, I don't think so.
    You didn't understand the OP. If everyone you disagreed with was run off, you'd have nothing to do.

You say that the Koch brothers pay people to do this and then you say you don't think it's a conspiracy.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You didn't understand the OP. If everyone you disagreed with was run off, you'd have nothing to do.

You say that the Koch brothers pay people to do this and then you say you don't think it's a conspiracy.
    I understood it well, and you are one of the biggest trolls on this forum! Call it what ever you want, but you are one of them. It is not a matter of someone just disagreeing, it is a matter of trolling they are two different things. Say what ever you want. You are the ones trying to push people out of the forum and make it an echo chamber. It didn't work did it!
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (10-16-2018)

+ Reply to Thread