Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,994x in 55,615 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    You didn't actually address what Who said. You just mocked it and dismissed it.

Isn't that something you criticize others for doing?
    No one mocked anything.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,911x in 54,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's a story, no more. It's even prefaced as a theory, a theory of taxation.

I criticize people mocking others, like you do.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries - that's just what passes for discussion on this forum most of the time.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Docthehun's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,497x in 2,935 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young my dad said he didn't want to hear me beetch about income tax. He said it showed you were making money. A self-made multi-millionaire, born in 1922 who just passed away at the tender age of 96'. He was smart and reasonably sharp. I was amazed at the number of well wishers, from old timers to kids.

He was really rolling in the dough in the 70's and here's how he put his personal situation. He asked me if I would take a job if my take home pay was $500,000 a year plus good benefits. I said, "In a heartbeat!" "Me too.", he responded. He said it didn't matter to him that his gross pay was $960,000.

So complaints about the rich getting screwed by taxes somewhat baffles me. Bearing in mind that a fair segment of those individuals don't actually have a job. I suppose someone here will claim they wouldn't take the 500 grand a year, simply on principal.

One other thing. Corporations don't enjoy special rates on capital gains. Same rate as regular income, which of course the new tax law conveniently lowers to 21% (Provided their "effective" rate isn't already lower; like Ford & GE.).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Docthehun For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (10-23-2018),Dr. Who (10-23-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    As long as the top 3 percent organize and order our lawmakers to make the laws and the system favor them, then it should be called out and criticized.
    If the top 3% pay 80% of the taxes what is the fair amount. Should they pay 100%?
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Here's a taxation theory for everyone. People who make very little make the least use of infrastructure municipally, at the state and at the federal level. They get an hourly wage and pay the lowest level of income taxes. They receive no break on sales taxes. They travel very little except to work and home, they live in relatively underserviced neighborhoods, their children attend no-frills schools and when they need services like the police, they take a number. They aren't generally making much if any use of interstate roads, or lobbying any level of government for much of anything.

People who are part of the 1% derive income from big businesses that are taxed lower than individuals on the basis that taxing personal income is better than taxing the heck out of businesses. The more that people make, the more that they use infrastructure whether it is directly, because they drive everywhere and expect that there will be businesses that service their needs in pricey more manicured and better policed parts of cities or because the income that they depend on often comes because of infrastructure, legislation and trade agreements provided by government.

Furthermore, the less you make, the more that the actual cost of living takes from your earnings i.e if 80% of your income is needed to provide minimal shelter, housing and sustenance, then if you are taxed at more than 15%, then there is no buffer for emergencies or inflation, nevermind any form of entertainment. The less people make the more of their income is paid into consumption taxes. On a relative basis, the poor pay more tax than the rich.
    Even accepting all of that, what incentive does a business have to expand if it means paying most of it in taxes. What do I, as an investor, gain if the profits are taxed at a high rate? Every dollar a corporation is taxed is a dollar I can never get?
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,911x in 54,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    No worries - that's just what passes for discussion on this forum most of the time.
    It was a made up narrative.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Even accepting all of that, what incentive does a business have to expand if it means paying most of it in taxes. What do I, as an investor, gain if the profits are taxed at a high rate? Every dollar a corporation is taxed is a dollar I can never get?
    If you are earning more than what you would earn in interest in a savings account or on the rate of return on bonds, then you are making money. Furthermore, the more successful the business, the more that is left in net earnings. However, if you think about it, either corporations pay higher taxes or individuals pay higher taxes, so what isn't paid by corporations is paid in personal taxes. Either way, you aren't going to keep it all.

I'm not really advocating for higher taxes on business in general, but I would rather see the lowest tax rates on small to mid-size business vs big business. Big business does not employ the majority of the people. They are the most likely to rationalize admin functions and outsource work, so from the perspective of driving the economy, lowering their taxes makes less sense than lowering the taxes of smaller businesses that provide the most employment. That better economy will directly benefit big business and offset the higher tax implications with greater earnings. As Henry Ford determined, paying his own workers more translated to greater car sales. People have to have disposable income in order to really benefit the economy.

Everyone benefits from economic growth and that doesn't happen when wages stagnate and they stagnate when small to mid-size businesses are not doing well. Then people are not spending money and nobody is winning. Furthermore, you don't want your economy to be dependent on big businesses that are too big to fail. You need most of your eggs invested in small to mid-sized businesses, so that if and or when those big businesses do something ridiculously greedy and foolhardy or simply move elsewhere, the entire economy doesn't suffer their fate.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread