Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I'd like to see a serious version of that argument made about any major religion past or present. Your best bet would be Islam and even then I think one would struggle.
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Anyway, what exactly does pagan religion refer to?
    Pre-civilized religious beliefs and practices that emerged in the context of tribal hunter-gatherers. Specifically, worshiping and communing with nature.

Why would anyone suggest pagan religions were not political?
    I never suggested they were not political. I simply rejected the idea that pagan religions were some kind of political contrivance or subterfuge.

Are we reducing pagan religion to goofy new Age cults and weirdos dressing like what they think Druids might have looked like? Or maybe ugly, depressed lesbians pretending they have supernatural powers? I'm dismissive of this sort of thing because it's faddish and embarrassing to watch. Trying to reconstruct a long dead religion is just kind of silly to be frank.
    Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that those people probably aren't that concerned with your judgement of their religious beliefs and practices.

As to your question, the answer is no. I am not reducing pagan religions to new-age Druidism or Wicca. Naturally, they are both included under the broad rubric of paganism, but they do not define paganism as a whole.

What I think you might mean is something more along the lines of a pagan philosophy of the sacred. There are what are called philosophical pagans. Several of my favorite writers fall into that category. IMO, it's far more respectable.
    Perhaps. I'm not sure what you mean by that, so I can't say for sure.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Pre-civilized religious beliefs and practices that emerged in the context of tribal hunter-gatherers. Specifically, worshiping and communing with nature.

I never suggested they were not political. I simply rejected the idea that pagan religions were some kind of political contrivance or subterfuge.

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that those people probably aren't that concerned with your judgement of their religious beliefs and practices.

As to your question, the answer is no. I am not reducing pagan religions to new-age Druidism or Wicca. Naturally, they are both included under the broad rubric of paganism, but they do not define paganism as a whole.

Perhaps. I'm not sure what you mean by that, so I can't say for sure.
    What I mean is the claim that religions are are essentially political inventions which you appear to reject. I do too. Like I said, I'd like to see a serious version of that argument made about any major religion.

I don't expect them to be concerned. They don't seem particularly concerned with being taken seriously by anyone but (maybe) themselves. So the "broad rubric of paganism" = "worshiping and communing with nature". This would preclude much of what we have traditionally referred to as "pagan" so one would not be wrong in describing "paganism" in this case as something more (post?)modern than ancient let alone historical.

Thank you.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread