Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cthulu uses a phone with Tapatalk and hes quite capable of spelling The or anything else correctly.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-23-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I've been invited to participate on this thread. I am not a Bible scholar. I have but casual observations on offer that seem like common sense to me and, as I've already voiced elsewhere, I definitely don't have the energy or motivation to go through the entire Bible this way, on a chapter-by-chapter basis. But still, as to be considerate, since I was mentioned in the OP nonetheless, I have gone ahead and re-read the first chapter of Genesis this morning.

The casual observations that I would have are that...I mean really? This is the 21st century, people. I'm not going to go to all the work of rounding it up for you here (like I said, I'm not that dedicated to this project), but you know as well as I do that there's quite a like of scientific evidence to indicate that the world as we know it took a lot longer than six days to reach something like its present state. I mean this text doesn't even get the known order right. It's common scientific knowledge that sea creatures definitely came before land creatures, for example.

I also find the notion that the first woman was born of a man's body (fully matured and everything, apparently ) a particularly amusing example of the sort of mental gymnastics that the ancients went through to justify patriarchal social relations and make them seem natural. It was obviously self-evident even at the time this was written that all people come out of female bodies, including males. We today know why that is too: because the Y chromosome is NOT actually the historical default of our species, or of any. Female is nature's default sex. Males are but a minor alteration thereof that came into being with the increasing complexity of life forms on Earth. This first introduction to the sexes we get in Genesis disingenuously attempts to reverse that logic to suggest that instead male is somehow nature's default sex and female the alteration as part of what we soon see later is the larger project of rationalizing the notion that it's natural for women to belong to men. It, in fact, has already begun in this chapter, with God supplying the rational that women exist to keep men company rather than for their own purposes.

I mean a rib? Really? How did that work? Let's see a visual representation of the process.

My only other remark is that the belief that the rest of the natural world is just human property (i.e. impossible to abuse) -- the notion that nature belongs to us rather than us belonging to nature -- has since caused a few ecological problems, I would observe. That seems like a rather convenient thing for a divine being with infinite knowledge to proclaim.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 10-23-2018 at 05:36 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (10-23-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I don't know why I've been invited to participate on this thread.
    Really. You'd have to be crazy to post on this thread. IMHO.

... male is somehow nature's default sex and female the alteration as part of what we soon see later is the larger project of rationalizing the notion that it's natural for women to belong to men.
    Agreed.

Furthermore, thanks to women's progressive push toward all things unisex, they are about to be completely eliminated from the historical record in the realm of sports.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except possibly the balance beam.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,486x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The meaning of create. It seems to me God in Genesis creates things from other things. There doesn't seem to be any creating something from nothing. This complies with the laws of thermodynamics, that energy nor matter can be created or destroyed, only transformed.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-23-2018),Cthulhu (10-23-2018)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,861x in 10,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I don't know why I've been invited to participate on this thread. I am not a Bible scholar. I have but casual observations on offer that seem like common sense to me and, as I've already voiced elsewhere, I definitely don't have the energy or motivation to go through the entire Bible this way, on a chapter-by-chapter basis. But still, as to be considerate, since I was mentioned in the OP nonetheless, I have gone ahead and re-read the first chapter of Genesis this morning.

The casual observations that I would have are that...I mean really? This is the 21st century, people. I'm not going to go to all the work of rounding it up for you here (like I said, I'm not that dedicated to this project), but you know as well as I do that there's quite a like of scientific evidence to indicate that the world as we know it took a lot longer than six days to reach something like its present state. I mean this text doesn't even get the known order right. It's common scientific knowledge that sea creatures definitely came before land creatures, for example.

I also find the notion that the first woman was born of a man's body (fully matured and everything, apparently ) a particularly amusing example of the sort of mental gymnastics that the ancients went through to justify patriarchal social relations and make them seem natural. It was obviously self-evident even at the time this was written that all people come out of female bodies, including males. We today know why that is too: because the Y chromosome is NOT actually the historical default of our species, or of any. Female is nature's default sex. Males are but a minor alteration thereof that came into being with the increasing complexity of life forms on Earth. This first introduction to the sexes we get in Genesis disingenuously attempts to reverse that logic to suggest that instead male is somehow nature's default sex and female the alteration as part of what we soon see later is the larger project of rationalizing the notion that it's natural for women to belong to men. It, in fact, has already begun in this chapter, with God supplying the rational that women exist to keep men company rather than for their own purposes.

I mean a rib? Really? How did that work? Let's see a visual representation of the process.

My only other remark is that the belief that the rest of the natural world is just human property (i.e. impossible to abuse) -- the notion that nature belongs to us rather than us belonging to nature -- has since caused a few ecological problems, I would observe. That seems like a rather convenient thing for a divine being with infinite knowledge to proclaim.

Polly, a day is just a reference to time. It doesn't mean an actual day. Even if it did, God would be able to do it.Science can be as wrong as anyone else. How would they know?You're taking things too literally. God is only telling of his power. God created a perfect world and man has been taking care of it poorly.

You do know that man is at the top of the food chain.

If this is going to turn into a believer versus non-believer I don't see any purpose. I'm not here to make Christians of anyone but I'm also not here to defend my Christianity.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Captdon; 10-23-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,861x in 10,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Really. You'd have to be crazy to post on this thread. IMHO.

Agreed.

Furthermore, thanks to women's progressive push toward all things unisex, they are about to be completely eliminated from the historical record in the realm of sports.

Anyone not interested should just stay away.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Why would anyone enter into a discussion with someone who can't even spell "The"?
    Humor, if ewe have none, I grant unto thee my sympathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    He got "ebil" right though.

Go soak your head.
    While I agree, let's keep this civil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I didn't comment on it because if he can't spell "The", anything else he says is irrelevant. This is supposed to be a "serious" discussion. You don't start serious discussions with childish attempts at whatever it was he was attempting.

You thought it was spelled correctly, didn't you?
    Try reading the content of the posts rather than just the title (which was intended to be humorous) and you may find something of note with discussing.

To others: I'd like to remind people this is a Bible study thread.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

Chris (10-23-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,474x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Cthulu uses a phone with Tapatalk and hes quite capable of spelling The or anything else correctly.
    That's nonsense. It was deliberate. It is some stupid thing juveniles have been doing online for a good while because they think it is cool to look retarded. It has no place in adult discussion.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,474x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Humor, if ewe have none, I grant unto thee my sympathy.While I agree, let's keep this civil.Try reading the content of the posts rather than just the title (which was intended to be humorous) and you may find something of note with discussing.
    The title sets the tone.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

+ Reply to Thread