User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Ebil Bible Study Thread!

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The title sets the tone.
    Blarg...

You have anything to discuss in relation to Genesis chapter 1 or not?

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evil is Eve's fault. Adam was just not paying attention. You know how that goes.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Evil is Eve's fault. Adam was just not paying attention. You know how that goes.
    As far as stories go, that's pretty standard.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of that is in Chapter 1, btw.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Chris (10-23-2018),IMPress Polly (10-24-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    None of that is in Chapter 1, btw.
    Right, that's chapter 3.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,473x in 36,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Thank you good sir.

This is one of those things that we'll certainly debate. I believe it is both function and form.

Function: to become like God and to do as he does.

Form: in the shape and appearance of flesh and bones.

Needless to say this simple topic has many arguing to this day. I'm inclined to say both because we are often referred to by God as his children. And isn't it natural for the child (pending proper growth/nutrition and intelligent decision making) to grow into the stature of it's parent?

I tend to think so. Naturally, some disagree, and I welcome those positions because I'd like people to garner a better understanding of the Bible and how it is (mis) understood in the modern day.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    I did a little brief reading last night in bed on this subject and there are some other perspectives on this passage that I find interesting and agreeable but I just don't understand what I'll call the anthropomorphic interpretation. I think this is a good example of how an understanding of the Ancient Near Eastern cultural context can help illuminate the Bible for Christians. For example, kings were generally believed to be in the image of god. This phrase referred to the office and role of the king. It was not meant to indicate a physical likeness to the deity. There are inscriptions stating that the Assyrian King Esarhaddon was "the perfect likeness of the god". What was meant by that is that Esarhaddon possessed the some of the qualities and essence of the god. After all, it was the king's role to mediate between the heavens and the Earth. I think it's most likely that the ancient Hebrews would have understood the phrase in much the same way. One aspect that makes the Genesis passage unique is that Adam and Eve are archetypes or at least represent us all in some fashion (don't want to get into an argument with anyone about the historicity of Adam and Eve) and this would seem to suggest that all mankind is made in the image of God. There's something egalitarian about that passage.

I'm drawing heavily on Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Bible by John Walton. I read that a long time ago and (probably a decade ago) and you have inspired me to reread it, Thanks.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I did a little brief reading last night in bed on this subject and there are some other perspectives on this passage that I find interesting and agreeable but I just don't understand what I'll call the anthropomorphic interpretation. I think this is a good example of how an understanding of the Ancient Near Eastern cultural context can help illuminate the Bible for Christians. For example, kings were generally believed to be in the image of god. This phrase referred to the office and role of the king. It was not meant to indicate a physical likeness to the deity. There are inscriptions stating that the Assyrian King Esarhaddon was "the perfect likeness of the god". What was meant by that is that Esarhaddon possessed the some of the qualities and essence of the god. After all, it was the king's role to mediate between the heavens and the Earth. I think it's most likely that the ancient Hebrews would have understood the phrase in much the same way. One aspect that makes the Genesis passage unique is that Adam and Eve are archetypes or at least represent us all in some fashion (don't want to get into an argument with anyone about the historicity of Adam and Eve) and this would seem to suggest that all mankind is made in the image of God. There's something egalitarian about that passage.

I'm drawing heavily on Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Bible by John Walton. I read that a long time ago and (probably a decade ago) and you have inspired me to reread it, Thanks.
    Obviously I'm not as informed on this book you bring up. I can understand why they would see it that way though when you explain it. I suppose the reason why Christians view it the various ways they do is because of the interpolations of men throughout the ages. Although that to me seems rather simple when the Arrival of Christ occurs. A living God among us, walking as a man walks and so forth. Naturally theistic Jews might differ.

But if you sprinkle in the Trinity...well, there are are differing opinions on that as well.

However, for Christianity I'd think it a simple argument - Christ came in the form of a man, why such a struggle to belief that God the Father has flesh and bones like unto his begotten son? And if we're children of God...? So the varying sects differ as they will.

One of the earlier posters remarked on the rib being the source of Eve, I've heard of varying thoughts as to why this is. The one I personally subscribe to is that the rib is close to the heart, to be cherished above all else. Women in Christian societies (or rather societies built by them) presently enjoy the greatest protections and freedoms on this planet. And interesting thought if one cares to examine it.
    Last edited by Cthulhu; 10-23-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

Mister D (10-23-2018)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The meaning of create. It seems to me God in Genesis creates things from other things. There doesn't seem to be any creating something from nothing. This complies with the laws of thermodynamics, that energy nor matter can be created or destroyed, only transformed.
    But why cannot God create something out of what may seem to be nothing, when it is God who was always in the beginning, because with Him, there is no ending, so if there is no end to Him, there can be no beginning of God, just that He always was. And since He always was, always will be, always is, He has the capacity to create from what appears to be nothing, but even to God, nothing is something. He created it all by Himself, and none of it with the 'help' of man, who was His later creation.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,473x in 36,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Obviously I'm not as informed on this book you bring up. I can understand why they would see it that way though when you explain it. I suppose the reason why Christians view it the various ways they do is because of the interpolations of men throughout the ages. Although that to me seems rather simple when the Arrival of Christ occurs. A living God among us, walking as a man walks and so forth. Naturally theistic Jews might differ.

But if you sprinkle in the Trinity...well, there are are differing opinions on that as well.

However, for Christianity I'd think it a simple argument - Christ came in the form of a man, why such a struggle to belief that God the Father has flesh and bones like unto his begotten son? And if we're children of God...? So the varying sects differ as they will.

One of the earlier posters remarked on the rib being the source of Eve, I've heard of varying thoughts as to why this is. The one I personally subscribe to is that the rib is close to the heart, to be cherished above all else. Women in Christian societies (or rather societies built by them) presently enjoy the greatest protections and freedoms on this planet. And interesting thought if one cares to examine it.
    I want to give a thoughtful reply particularly with regard to the Incarnation so I will wait until tomorrow. One question: is this a tenet of Mormonism? I must confess that I know very little about the details of your denomination although I do watch the BYU station from time to time.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    […]

However, for Christianity I'd think it a simple argument - Christ came in the form of a man, why such a struggle to belief that God the Father has flesh and bones like unto his begotten son? And if we're children of God...? So the varying sects differ as they will. […]
    That is because God was the Son of God inside of the son born of a virgin because it was the Holy Ghost that was 'born'. Regarding the Holy Spirit, Mary was a virgin.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

+ Reply to Thread