User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Gender, Sexuality, Race, and "Trigglie Smalls"??

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Siri, who is bickering?
    Siri logged off.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (11-13-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief. Locals helping impoverished kids is being elitist, but today's federal central planners are not.

Another take, Raking geniuses from the rubbish:
    But should we not also be mindful of what it really means (both to the individuals in question, and to society as a whole) to discard the rest as "residue"? Even if we are forced to be selective due to resource constraints, could our society be better served if we cultivate a more inclusive perspective in academia?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my drunkest state I do no not believe i have cursed that much.

Her sentiments are clouded in her delivery. But I bet she got an A from her professor for her extra credit.

Kids giving political statements in public are just that.... statements. Take them as you will.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Captdon (11-19-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    But should we not also be mindful of what it really means (both to the individuals in question, and to society as a whole) to discard the rest as "residue"? Even if we are forced to be selective due to resource constraints, could our society be better served if we cultivate a more inclusive perspective in academia?
    Right, which is what Jefferson advocated.

And I doubt very much you, Who, disagree with the ends of inclusivity, in education, in society. The difference is the means. Ground up from the bottom up, of the, by the and for the people. Or top down by elite central planners forced on the people.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I doubt very much you, Who, disagree with the ends of inclusivity, in education, in society. The difference is the means. Ground up from the bottom up, of the, by the and for the people. Or top down by elite central planners forced on the people.
    Except that if TJ wanted poor people to participate in academia, he would not have been limiting the offer to just grammar school educations for the clearly exceptional and he wouldn't have been referring to poor people as rubbish i.e. garbage, human refuse. Only a person who believes that they are inherently superior refers to other people as rubbish. If people are rubbish their lives don't matter.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (11-13-2018),Safety (11-13-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Except that if TJ wanted poor people to participate in academia, he would not have been limiting the offer to just grammar school educations for the clearly exceptional and he wouldn't have been referring to poor people as rubbish i.e. garbage, human refuse. Only a person who believes that they are inherently superior refers to other people as rubbish. If people are rubbish their lives don't matter.
    No, the reason the visitor pick out those who excel is to send them up to higher levels, including to the state university.

You probably don't realize it but at the time America and England were transitioning the old world aristocratic hierarchy to the modern Enlightened world. TJ was by habit an aristocrat, in thought an Enlightened individual. He after all penned the famous words in the Declaration that all men are created equal.

Anyway, not my problem you have personal issues with TJ. That misses the point.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some things that should be learned by rote, like spelling and geography. Otherwise learning is a balance between memory and understanding. If you can't recall the facts, all the understanding in the world won't help you to put them in context. The purpose of primary and secondary school is to learn basic information and to learn how to learn. In the later grades, students should be developing critical thinking skills. The early grades are about acquiring a basic educational foundation to build upon. Unfortunately, many kids are pushed through primary grades without learning the very basic skills they need for high school. That's why testing in grades 3 through 6 is so important. These are the truly foundational years, where children learn basic reading, writing and arithmetic and other subject matter that really supports the learning of the first three. The tests determine whether children are meeting the appropriate educational milestones. If they aren't, then they are not going to be prepared to learn more complex information.

The problems in the educational system have been developing in the early grades, where keeping children 'happy' has become more important than ensuring that they meet educational standards and children have become a grand experiment for a multitude of ill-advised educational 'theories' promoted by people who have made a career of developing new theories in order to make a living. They were doing that even when I was in school - it has just become worse over the years. I was the victim of the introduction of 'new math' in the sixties. I could competently add, multiply and divide in 'old math' but was completely lost in 'new math'. I could do calculations in my head and put down the right answer but couldn't do it the 'new math' way, so I lost a lot of marks in math. I ended up hating math because of it. My younger brother was a victim of early 'phonics' experimentation education in primary education - to this day he doesn't spell very well. They eventually got rid of 'new math' in the early 70's but too late for me. They have modified their phonics theories a great deal over the years, recognizing that kids also need to know how to spell, although the anarchistic phonetic theories have continued to pop up over the years, opportunistically. When I was in school, you lost marks in any test, regardless of subject matter for spelling and grammatical errors. I know that has gone by the wayside because I read so many emails, letters and reports from younger people and it's obvious.
    I was taught to learn things. i wasn't taught to pass a test written in DC. All that is is rote whatever you want to call it. I agree that rote is needed for math and spelling. We aren't doing that. We are teaching only to pass a tests.

Where are the English and history papers? That requires thinking on your own.That isn't being done. Talk to public school graduates and you'd think that blank look is normal.
    Early school is just free child care. No way a four year-old should be in "school."
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My children were educated in public schools with a curriculum decided by the state, not the federal government. They can read, write and do math. They are both college educated. They can speak and write understandable English. They can read it. They can do math by hand but they don't have to now. Of course, that was 30 years ago.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    My children were educated in public schools with a curriculum decided by the state, not the federal government. They can read, write and do math. They are both college educated. They can speak and write understandable English. They can read it. They can do math by hand but they don't have to now. Of course, that was 30 years ago.
    Any State can opt to exceed the federal standard.

Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Raffishragabash's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 86x in 75 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay keen bro, ensure to use a relevant comparison so you don't lose the readers ---just in case you meant President T.Jefferson

Jefferson did not have to deal with 1)Black people as, citizens, nor 2)the CRA'64 which protects them from the legacy of slavery Jefferson helped to embed in America's infrastructure.

Yes sir, quite frankly, Jefferson's philosophy is based solely upon Blacks as property/assets within Yonder Ideals For Delving Out White Privileges. True?

Unlike Jefferson, fortunately JFK/RFK/LBJ came along and finally realized, after 100 years, that our racist White Supremacy nation simply was not EVER going to stop cheating in order to compete against Black citizens-ground-up-from-the-bottom-up, of the, by the, and for the USA people.

So unlike Jefferson, they brilliantly drafted the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ((CRA'64)) AKA mother of Affirmative Action in academia.
    Last edited by Raffishragabash; 11-19-2018 at 08:18 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raffishragabash For This Useful Post:

Safety (11-19-2018)

+ Reply to Thread