User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm not voting

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I feel conflicted about voting in the United States. I do not have the right, yet, but if I did I wouldn't vote for either major party unless a specific type of candidate came forward (and doubtful that would happen, but applies to both parties). Third parties are historically the most successful during economic crises, societal crises, etc. (Perot, Wallace, Roosevelt, for example). I do wish that voting for none of the above or scratching your vote were legal and that more people would consider it if legal as opposed to voting for the least bad option or not voting at all - it might force some change in the system. Maybe stop disenfranchizing third parties and independents when it comes to things like the debates. But both parties have their claws so deep into the electoral process that I do not see it changing anytime soon. It is discouraging.

I also heard on the radio today that my area has the most ballot issues in the country. Something like 40 plus, including school board officials and referendums. How is anyone able to make informed decisions on that many issues? That is obscene. Why is there no special election or interim election set-up to break it up into pieces that are manageable for the average person? You know, rather than having 98% of the population of my state guessing for likely more than half the issues? Realistically, most people will have maybe some ideas about representatives for Congress or state legislature, mostly based on biased advertisements, and zero knowledge of the remaining issues at the local level. Do I want people guessing about changes to the state laws/constitution? Guessing about who should run local government? Guessing who should run the education system that our children will be subject to? It's a $#@!ing $#@! show. Again, disheartening. I fully support putting things like referendums on ballots, but not when that means someone is going to walk into a voting booth and have to have knowledge of so many issues that it is unrealistic to expect the average person to be aware of them all.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (11-06-2018),Helena (11-06-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, how then would you have government leadership chosen? By Divine Right of Kings? By Jousting in the public square? Or would you simply do away with all forms of government and let it be every man for himself?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (11-06-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I feel conflicted about voting in the United States. I do not have the right, yet, but if I did I wouldn't vote for either major party unless a specific type of candidate came forward (and doubtful that would happen, but applies to both parties). Third parties are historically the most successful during economic crises, societal crises, etc. (Perot, Wallace, Roosevelt, for example). I do wish that voting for none of the above or scratching your vote were legal and that more people would consider it if legal as opposed to voting for the least bad option or not voting at all - it might force some change in the system. Maybe stop disenfranchizing third parties and independents when it comes to things like the debates. But both parties have their claws so deep into the electoral process that I do not see it changing anytime soon. It is discouraging.

I also heard on the radio today that my area has the most ballot issues in the country. Something like 40 plus, including school board officials and referendums. How is anyone able to make informed decisions on that many issues? That is obscene. Why is there no special election or interim election set-up to break it up into pieces that are manageable for the average person? You know, rather than having 98% of the population of my state guessing for likely more than half the issues? Realistically, most people will have maybe some ideas about representatives for Congress or state legislature, mostly based on biased advertisements, and zero knowledge of the remaining issues at the local level. Do I want people guessing about changes to the state laws/constitution? Guessing about who should run local government? Guessing who should run the education system that our children will be subject to? It's a $#@!ing $#@! show. Again, disheartening. I fully support putting things like referendums on ballots, but not when that means someone is going to walk into a voting booth and have to have knowledge of so many issues that it is unrealistic to expect the average person to be aware of them all.
    May I ask a very serious and personal question? As an immigrant to this country you seem to have a lot of misgivings about our culture, our economic system and our politics. May I ask then why do you wish to become a citizen of the United States? What is your motivation to do so?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (11-06-2018)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,651x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I'm done voting, made this decision a while ago but while I recently toyed with the idea of just going out and voting I think I just cemented my decision not to.

I don't believe democracy is a success, I think it's a circus act at best. I've railed on this before and I'll spare you the soap box routine but I started thinking a while back - if I feel this way, that democracy failed why would I even participate in it? What does that say about my integrity on the issue.

So a few months back the feds did that emergency text text test thing where everyone got a text to test some emergency something or another. Yeah, and immediately after that I start getting texts and phone calls telling me early voting is open, Trump is in a town somewhat-ish near me stumping.... coincidence I guess.

Keep this in mind, I'm a very private person, I don't give my phone number out to anyone. I never/rarely get random calls and never get texts from anyone. If I'm asked to give my number out I give a fake or old one, or hers. Now I'm getting several texts and calls every day. I'm tempted to answer one and tell them that I'm not voting because I'm tired of getting these unsolicited calls and texts or otherwise I would have voted but I don't want to give any of whoever is pestering me a confirmation that I'm a live person at the end of this number.

So every day I also get stuff in the mail, these cards and pamphlets warning me that if I vote for this or that person my health insurance will be cancelled or my taxes will triple or something stupid. That was the straw for me, so this strategy must work otherwise I wouldn't be getting barraged with crap but I'm thinking there is a measurable population of voters that come home from work, get their mail, look at one of these cards and say to themselves "oh no, my health insurance will be cancelled if I don't vote for xxx so I better go vote for this person".

Why would I participate in this idiocy? That's what I've been asking myself for a while now and today, one day before the elections it was an easy decision to make. What's the point? Where votes are harvested from fools who give no more thought into their decision than a 3 second glance at a propaganda card.

I'm done, it's a spectator sport for me from now on.
    How will things ever change if people that want change and see through the sham don't vote? Why not vote 3rd party? Write in candidates maybe?

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,220x in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post

Funny but many feel as you do but when a candidate comes along that is not part of the machine like Trump many go bonkers and want the polished lying politicians back.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,651x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The political intelligence of America has been declining for years because people have devalued its importance and the political parties have become nothing more that spokes-agencies for private interests and squeaky wheel fringe groups.
    But only because we let them. The country is so rich and lazy that most people accept "A" or "B" without even bothering to listen to "C" or "D" . Normally that would make change impossible. But in this case "A" and "B" know this so they take more of our soul each time. Therefore things do change. They get worse with each passing election.
    We were told that the price of freedom was "Eternal Viglance" . But somewhere along the way we quit making the payments.
    This is how empires fall.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (11-06-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,547x in 55,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The political intelligence of America has been declining for years because people have devalued its importance and the political parties have become nothing more that spokes-agencies for private interests and squeaky wheel fringe groups.

It's called rational ignorance.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (11-06-2018)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Okay, since you have opted out of the decision making process and disregarded your obligations as a citizen, there is no reason for anyone to ever care about or even hear about your opinions on the state of government or society again.
    Cappy, you disenfranchised yourself!
    So you should now STFU on this forum, or just quit!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mini Me For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (11-10-2018)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I thought you were smarter than that. If that is what you believe, maybe you shouldn't be voting. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and completely unexpected from you.
    Her fears are valid! You just ran into a woman who is smarter than you, Festus!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mini Me For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (11-10-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Her fears are valid! You just ran into a woman who is smarter than you, Festus!
    I'll get right on it.

I tend not to let myself be bullied by trailer park leftist hippies though, or any other phonies for that matter.

Another example of why democracy is a farce, bullyism.

+ Reply to Thread