User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm not voting

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why I'm not voting

I'm done voting, made this decision a while ago but while I recently toyed with the idea of just going out and voting I think I just cemented my decision not to.

I don't believe democracy is a success, I think it's a circus act at best. I've railed on this before and I'll spare you the soap box routine but I started thinking a while back - if I feel this way, that democracy failed why would I even participate in it? What does that say about my integrity on the issue.

So a few months back the feds did that emergency text text test thing where everyone got a text to test some emergency something or another. Yeah, and immediately after that I start getting texts and phone calls telling me early voting is open, Trump is in a town somewhat-ish near me stumping.... coincidence I guess.

Keep this in mind, I'm a very private person, I don't give my phone number out to anyone. I never/rarely get random calls and never get texts from anyone. If I'm asked to give my number out I give a fake or old one, or hers. Now I'm getting several texts and calls every day. I'm tempted to answer one and tell them that I'm not voting because I'm tired of getting these unsolicited calls and texts or otherwise I would have voted but I don't want to give any of whoever is pestering me a confirmation that I'm a live person at the end of this number.

So every day I also get stuff in the mail, these cards and pamphlets warning me that if I vote for this or that person my health insurance will be cancelled or my taxes will triple or something stupid. That was the straw for me, so this strategy must work otherwise I wouldn't be getting barraged with crap but I'm thinking there is a measurable population of voters that come home from work, get their mail, look at one of these cards and say to themselves "oh no, my health insurance will be cancelled if I don't vote for xxx so I better go vote for this person".

Why would I participate in this idiocy? That's what I've been asking myself for a while now and today, one day before the elections it was an easy decision to make. What's the point? Where votes are harvested from fools who give no more thought into their decision than a 3 second glance at a propaganda card.

I'm done, it's a spectator sport for me from now on.
    my junk is ugly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (11-05-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't realize this was a confessional.

Go in Peace.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

exotix (11-06-2018)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cap I think anyone that doesnt vote is a fool
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I'm done voting, made this decision a while ago but while I recently toyed with the idea of just going out and voting I think I just cemented my decision not to.

I don't believe democracy is a success, I think it's a circus act at best. I've railed on this before and I'll spare you the soap box routine but I started thinking a while back - if I feel this way, that democracy failed why would I even participate in it? What does that say about my integrity on the issue.

So a few months back the feds did that emergency text text test thing where everyone got a text to test some emergency something or another. Yeah, and immediately after that I start getting texts and phone calls telling me early voting is open, Trump is in a town somewhat-ish near me stumping.... coincidence I guess.

Keep this in mind, I'm a very private person, I don't give my phone number out to anyone. I never/rarely get random calls and never get texts from anyone. If I'm asked to give my number out I give a fake or old one, or hers. Now I'm getting several texts and calls every day. I'm tempted to answer one and tell them that I'm not voting because I'm tired of getting these unsolicited calls and texts or otherwise I would have voted but I don't want to give any of whoever is pestering me a confirmation that I'm a live person at the end of this number.

So every day I also get stuff in the mail, these cards and pamphlets warning me that if I vote for this or that person my health insurance will be cancelled or my taxes will triple or something stupid. That was the straw for me, so this strategy must work otherwise I wouldn't be getting barraged with crap but I'm thinking there is a measurable population of voters that come home from work, get their mail, look at one of these cards and say to themselves "oh no, my health insurance will be cancelled if I don't vote for xxx so I better go vote for this person".

Why would I participate in this idiocy? That's what I've been asking myself for a while now and today, one day before the elections it was an easy decision to make. What's the point? Where votes are harvested from fools who give no more thought into their decision than a 3 second glance at a propaganda card.

I'm done, it's a spectator sport for me from now on.
    Politics in America have hit an all-time low where fear-mongering is all that's left. It's a continual barrage of bad stuff day in and day out. It's almost as if someone wants a civil war. Perhaps it's a function of the omnipresent media, but people are literally being driven around the bend by the propaganda. You can't even dislike a President anymore without it damning you forevermore as one of "them". I can't help but think that this is playing into some global interest or another.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (11-05-2018),Safety (11-06-2018),Trish (11-05-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Cap I think anyone that doesnt vote is a fool
    Noted
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,543x in 55,054 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (11-05-2018),Cthulhu (11-10-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the frustration and how you've come to your conclusion but in this I have to agree with Common, its foolish not to cast your vote. I hope you will reconsider.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (11-10-2018),Captdon (11-06-2018),donttread (11-06-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cell phone companies need to allow the user to make an allowed caller list the user can program into their phone. i would pay extra for that service. As of now I just clear unwanted texts and hang up on private or unknown phone numbers calling me.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I understand the frustration and how you've come to your conclusion but in this I have to agree with Common, its foolish not to cast your vote. I hope you will reconsider.
    So my vote can be cancelled out by hundreds if not thousands of other votes based on the sign they saw in someone's yard with simply a name on it?

Nah... I don't begrudge you for thinking it's foolish, I think the same thing reciprocally.
    my junk is ugly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Trish (11-05-2018)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The political intelligence of America has been declining for years because people have devalued its importance and the political parties have become nothing more that spokes-agencies for private interests and squeaky wheel fringe groups.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (11-05-2018),Cthulhu (11-10-2018),donttread (11-06-2018),Trish (11-05-2018)

+ Reply to Thread