Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,250x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Issued leftist talking points are never "obvious facts" to any normal, thinking person. Mocking the faithful is what libs do. You must be so proud.
    I find that the people who most consistently meet an opinion with which they don't agree with a generalization or stereotype - "Libs always do this" or "Right-wingers always do that" - are the ones least likely to be able to actually formulate and express an appropriate, intelligent response.

We all sometimes get to the point in a discussion where frustration may cause us to respond in that way - eventually. I know that I've sometimes generalized about Trump supporters in a less than fair or thoughtful way, for example. However, such generalizations should not be the very first thing one comes back with...nor should they be overly broad.

It probably has something to do with the fact that I honestly and sincerely hold views that are most commonly seen on both sides of the Great Divide, but to me the idea that "all conservatives" or "all liberals" do anything is ludicrous on its face. I see it as shorthand for "I can't think of a good response, so I'll just throw some poop on it".
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all threads about guns, theres always lots and lots of experts. I would like to know how many of you have ever seen a shooting or saw a person brandishing a gun in real life, not on tv or youtube.

Any discussion on guns or shootings is mostly two things, speculation and opinion. There are very few who have experienced it in real life, saw it on a fairly regular basis and actually know something about it upfront and personal and first hand.

Most shootings are for Love, Money or revenge, others are self defense and nutcases that mass shoot people

You will never change murder for Love, Money or Revenge because they will ALWAYS be with us and an issue. Self defense speaks for it self. Mass shooters are whatever you want to call them, mentally ill, unstable, emotionally distraught, or nuts. You arent going to stop that.

Gun Control is meaningless, the bad guys will always get guns, when you restrict gun sales, there will be unscrupulous people right there to fill the need. Just like Prohibition or Marihuana, YOU CANT STOP IT, you will only make the illegal gun trade thrive again.

We cant stop mothers carrying babies across our border, we cant stop TONS of weed and cocaine coming across the border.

Somehow democrat and liberal Politicians want us to believe they are going to control guns, They cant even control antifaa
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Don29palms (11-11-2018),MisterVeritis (11-11-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,598x in 25,151 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lummy,2459638
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Yada yada ... The medical profession's SOP is to research causation and cure.

Unfortunately, "mental illness" is not so simple a study or diagnosis to make as, say, the flu, a broken leg, diabetes or even dementia. Unless the person complains of a problem, their mental state isn't much more than personal opinion, a judgement call that can be agenda imbued.
    In the case of our beloved lunatic liberal democrats, who are all sick in the head, it is almost entirely politically colored and probably motivated.
    warning

Warning

WARNING - @Lummy, it is improper use of the quote function and a violation of the rules to change someone’s quote. Use “...” to shorten a quote - but do not otherwise add to the quote. Thank you.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Lummy (11-12-2018)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    And yet they get guns quite readily. Why do you suppose that is? Apart from the brisk trade in illegal firearms that is the natural consequence of a massive firearms industry in America, there is also the fact that most people don't do much to secure their weapons from theft. Then there is the virtually unregulated aspect of private gun sales which is even more prolific now with the internet. The fact that most mentally ill people are undiagnosed because it's the most underfunded aspect of the health care system is also contributing to the death toll.

Anyway, it is what it is. People will get shot and doctors will continue to wonder why this kind of carnage is OK.
    These incidents are great for gun grabbers agenda but the truth is that the average shooting is one felon shooting another felon with a gun he cannot possess under current law. In other words gun laws don't work. Drug laws don't work. Exotic pet laws don't work. Even immigration laws don't work. We are a free society not well equipped to control the flow of goods or even people .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Lummy (11-12-2018)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    Today

After California Shooting, Doctors Hit Back at NRA for Trying to Silence Them Over Guns

https://www.thedailybeast.com/doctor...them-over-guns

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.DAUluUGqd1Y

Doctors share gun stories, demand action after NRA tells them to ‘stay in their lane’

On Wednesday, the NRA mocked ‘anti-gun’ doctors for advocating for gun violence research. After Thursday’s Thousand Oaks mass shooting, doctors fought back.

Two signs of the times: another mass shooting and more Twitter outrage.

This time, though, the barbs over social media came from the medical community in response to a tweet from the National Rifle Association.

The piling-on began after the NRA tweeted on Wednesday a link to an article from its Institute of Legislative Action.

The article, titled “Surprise: Physician Group Rehashes Same Tired Gun Control Policies,” was promoted with these words: “Someone should tell self-important anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane.

Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control.

Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves.”

The tweet went out hours before a gunman walked into the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California, and killed at least 12 people before turning his gun on himself.

The NRA’s tweet had more than 1,300 likes by mid-Thursday.

But it also riled up people inside and outside the medical field, who replied by the thousands.

I really think these social media post should be reviewed for possible HIPPA violations and if any are found reported to the regulatory agencies.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,297
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,047x in 8,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    These incidents are great for gun grabbers agenda but the truth is that the average shooting is one felon shooting another felon with a gun he cannot possess under current law. In other words gun laws don't work. Drug laws don't work. Exotic pet laws don't work. Even immigration laws don't work. We are a free society not well equipped to control the flow of goods or even people .
    I have no doubt that gun laws per se won't work. Violence in society is a mindset. Not valuing people who are not among your friends, family and general tribe is also a mindset. How society treats people is a reflection of that mindset. An angry, suspicious society that devalues people while exalting money will have trouble with lethal violence. Guns just make the death toll greater. They aren't the problem, but a significant symptom of the problem.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,198x in 6,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made me laugh.

Ann Coulter
    @AnnCoulter

Emergency room doctors pull cue balls, vines & gummy bears out of human orifices every week. That doesn't make them experts on pool, horticulture or chewy candy.
    Judy Melinek M.D.
    @drjudymelinek

Do you have any idea how many bullets I pull out of corpses weekly? This isn’t just my lane. It’s my $#@!ing highway.
    https://twitter.com/drjudymelinek/st...94812872007680

When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (11-13-2018),stjames1_53 (11-13-2018)

Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    exotix's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,534x in 7,660 Posts
    Mentioned
    951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    Made me laugh.

Ann Coulter
    @AnnCoulter

Emergency room doctors pull cue balls, vines & gummy bears out of human orifices every week. That doesn't make them experts on pool, horticulture or chewy candy.
    Judy Melinek M.D.
    @drjudymelinek

Do you have any idea how many bullets I pull out of corpses weekly? This isn’t just my lane. It’s my $#@!ing highway.
    https://twitter.com/drjudymelinek/st...94812872007680

'How and Why ?' ~ Einstein

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,198x in 6,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post

The lefts answer to common sense. Hate.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (11-13-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,426x in 94,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Doesn't seem like anyone has a good answer. The NRA certainly doesn't. Physicians looking for a case doesn't seem like a bad idea since there seem to be common themes. I have read my share of articles about gun violence for university and gun control is rarely what is proposed as a solution; usually demographics and socioeconomic status, as well as psychological factors, are the common themes.
    I don't have a problem with doctors reminding their patients, especially those with kids, to be safe with guns. They shouldn't preach or provide misinformed opinions. And you can always say, thanks, I don't own fire arms.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (11-14-2018)

+ Reply to Thread