Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Diy

One bit of advice that I think every parent should take to heart and impart to his or her offspring is - learn how things work and how to fix them. Do it with everything you own, as much as is practical. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.

I've replaced and repaired a lot of bathroom fixtures in my time, and I didn't think that a commode could do something to surprise or confound me. But the other day, I happened to flush the toilet in the basement bathroom - just making sure everything is in readiness for my youngest, who is coming home tomorrow from a job in Flagstaff - and water began rushing out of the bottom of the tank. I looked and felt around as much as I could, trying to figure out exactly where the water was getting out, and finally ended up calling a plumber.

It was an old gasket that separates the tank from the bowl. It took the plumber all of a minute to see the problem, less than ten minutes to fix it, and I had to pay $180.50.

I suspect that if I'd taken the time, I probably could have found a YouTube video that showed exactly how I could have done it myself, but I took the easy, expensive route, and obviously I regret that now.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (11-11-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple, shut the water off at the valve, flush the toilet to empty the tank, in this case it may have all leaked out.

Remove the water source to the tank, <tubing> undo two bolts life the tank take the old gasket and put the new one and reverse the process.

In all my years and all the homes ive rehabed Ive never seen a toilet that had the gasket between the tank and bowl go bad. They are rubber they dont erode and it just sits there. I think its more likely someone sat down to hard and pushed the tank back and unseated it, or leaned on the tank.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, those wax rings are like 5 bucks and it's really an hour long project unless the bolts/bracket is rusted but it's two bolts, unhook and turn off the water, shop vac the bowl water out.

I've always been like that, I hate paying someone for something I'm capable of doing. Maybe it's a guy thing or a me thing but I feel useless having someone do stuff like that for me.

I change my own oil, fix the $#@! that needs fixed. I crawled under the house a couple times this past Summer to fix a leak under there. I'm renting a place since I'm still trying to sell a home back east and I'm not quite sure where I'll be settling in permanently here and yeah, I could have had the guy I'm renting from fix and me and him wound up fixing it again later when my fix broke lol but I just hate asking someone to do something I can do. And my landlord/neighbor is a really good guy, I get a lot of elk meat from him lol

The biggest thing is being afraid of the unknown. Start tearing $#@! apart and who knows what's in there or what can go wrong. Youtube videos help a lot too, I refer to them constantly. They're not perfect but knowing a little more than you currently know isn't a bad thing. But it's that fear that holds a lot of people back. "$#@!... I don't know anything about plumbing, call a pro". meh... $#@!ing tear it apart, what's the worst that can happen?

I guess that's how I look at it. I told my son after he bent the axle on his ATV and we were fixing it "$#@! breaks and if we do this wrong we'll do it again until we get it right".
    my junk is ugly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (11-11-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive done everything myself for many years, my wife is starting to jab me with do our cabinets in the kitchen look dated or shabby, being married along time, I know thats the first salvo and full blown attack is coming soon. I will be replacing kitchen cabinets, but this time is different, Im paying someone, I just dont have the mindset or desire to do it again.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Simple, shut the water off at the valve, flush the toilet to empty the tank, in this case it may have all leaked out.

Remove the water source to the tank, <tubing> undo two bolts life the tank take the old gasket and put the new one and reverse the process.

In all my years and all the homes ive rehabed Ive never seen a toilet that had the gasket between the tank and bowl go bad. They are rubber they dont erode and it just sits there. I think its more likely someone sat down to hard and pushed the tank back and unseated it, or leaned on the tank.
    No, you should have seen the gasket. It had turned brownish, and was cracked and broken and falling apart. The house was built in '89, so the thing was undoubtedly thirty years old.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ive done everything myself for many years, my wife is starting to jab me with do our cabinets in the kitchen look dated or shabby, being married along time, I know thats the first salvo and full blown attack is coming soon. I will be replacing kitchen cabinets, but this time is different, Im paying someone, I just dont have the mindset or desire to do it again.
    Yeah, I remember buying my first house when I was 23, old mill hunky row house. Me and my father in law and grandfather in law gutted the kitchen and put all new everything in, I mean everything. I think I got my mindset from my father in law, he wasn't afraid to do anything. Grandfather in law showed me how to find gas leaks in lead pipe with a lighter lol

I remember coming home from work to find him in our dining room knocking a wall down with a sledgehammer. I just said "hey" lol, we wound up putting in a bannister on the stairway where there was just a wall.
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,353x in 27,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I earned enough money so I can have a pro fix things. I have never regretted it.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I earned enough money so I can have a pro fix things. I have never regretted it.
    That's kind of arrogant and you really missed the point of the thread.

Thanks anyway.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a stab at anything. In the last 6 months I've done the toilet ring, replaced the living room floor, helped my father rebuild his lawnmower, and recostructed a disassembled project truck I bought for next to nothing because the guy got in over his head.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,806x in 15,377 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    One bit of advice that I think every parent should take to heart and impart to his or her offspring is - learn how things work and how to fix them. Do it with everything you own, as much as is practical. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.I've replaced and repaired a lot of bathroom fixtures in my time, and I didn't think that a commode could do something to surprise or confound me. But the other day, I happened to flush the toilet in the basement bathroom - just making sure everything is in readiness for my youngest, who is coming home tomorrow from a job in Flagstaff - and water began rushing out of the bottom of the tank. I looked and felt around as much as I could, trying to figure out exactly where the water was getting out, and finally ended up calling a plumber. It was an old gasket that separates the tank from the bowl. It took the plumber all of a minute to see the problem, less than ten minutes to fix it, and I had to pay $180.50.I suspect that if I'd taken the time, I probably could have found a YouTube video that showed exactly how I could have done it myself, but I took the easy, expensive route, and obviously I regret that now.
    The top-o-the line gaskets only cost about 5 bucks. Sorry bout the plumber, should have come here first.
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

+ Reply to Thread