Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,587x in 36,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    I'm not interested in defeating your objection. I don't say that with malice.

Wow, I had a lot more to say on the subject than I thought I wanted to. I've been over and over this for years and the arguments remain static on all sides of the coin.
    No malice perceived.
    In its present formulation it's just a bad argument. Best not to say much, quite frankly.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Helena (11-14-2018)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valley ranch View Post
    The people who today are called jews are not the Hebrew of the Old Testament and do not practice the religion of the Hebrew```
    The Orthodox do.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I think that God as human construct is pretty much the point of the story, C.O. Every society describes and worships the god that they "need", the god that fits in best with their dominant culture, and - most pertinent here - the god that they are, to some extent, capable of understanding. You say that people "aren't blind and think a lot deeper than that". Compared with what? Assume for a minute that an intelligent, omniscient and eternal being does exist; what is the human brain, Man's senses and all of our knowledge of the universe compared with that? We're talking an ant tbrying to figure out how a jet engine works, and then some.
    We aren't trying to figure out God at all. That's an intellectual exercise. I have faith. I don't try to understand God nor do I need to. I'm curious but no more than that. I don't have the capability to understand god bi=ut here i am in the dominant culture.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Taking our own culture as an example it's quite clear that Christianity transformed the "dominant culture" in important ways. Assuming I understand you correctly, I would suggest your perspective is not just simplistic but demonstrably wrong.
    Of course it's a two-way street; the Faith and its dogmas are shaped by the culture in which they are formed, and then, over time, have some effect on the secular culture. What is irrefutable, however, is the fact that cultural accretion occurs - from the secular culture onto the doctrines and practices of the new religion - both at the beginning and especially in subsequent centuries.

A society's God is invariably in favor of what the followers of that God's religion are in favor of, and disapproves of what they disapprove of. Over time, the religion's hierarchy adds to the list of things that are said to be "God's will" according to what they want the people to believe, do or reject. If the religious leaders want to ensure that the people don't eat a certain kind of meat that is subject to contagion, their God will forbid the eating of that meat. If the culture of the time elevates men to a certain status at the expense of women, the dictates of their God will tend to justify that attitude. If the men of a society find it desirable to take many wives, or burn witches, or utterly wipe out an enemy, or do pretty much anything else, the doctrines of their religion will either allow them or command them to do so.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,587x in 36,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Of course it's a two-way street; the Faith and its dogmas are shaped by the culture in which they are formed, and then, over time, have some effect on the secular culture. What is irrefutable, however, is the fact that cultural accretion occurs - from the secular culture onto the doctrines and practices of the new religion - both at the beginning and especially in subsequent centuries.

A society's God is invariably in favor of what the followers of that God's religion are in favor of, and disapproves of what they disapprove of. Over time, the religion's hierarchy adds to the list of things that are said to be "God's will" according to what they want the people to believe, do or reject. If the religious leaders want to ensure that the people don't eat a certain kind of meat that is subject to contagion, their God will forbid the eating of that meat. If the culture of the time elevates men to a certain status at the expense of women, the dictates of their God will tend to justify that attitude. If the men of a society find it desirable to take many wives, or burn witches, or utterly wipe out an enemy, or do pretty much anything else, the doctrines of their religion will either allow them or command them to do so.
    Cultural accretion certainly occurs but the cultural accretions in our particular case took place 1500 years ago when a Syrian religion encountered the Roman and Germanic worlds. In any case, what you said was that the dominant culture determines the religion followed. That's obviously not true. In significant and even crucial ways it's the other way around.

But again aren't we putting the cart before the horse? Can you give us some specific examples of "lists of things that are considered to be God's will" that are not found in the dogma? Secondly, societies don't have Gods. Faiths do. My faith is a global faith with adherents on every continent. Islam is similarly widespread. I think you drastically underestimate the formative impact of religion on culture.

Last, we have many examples where religious doctrine interfered with the desires of the powerful.
    Last edited by Mister D; 11-14-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valley ranch View Post
    The people who today are called jews are not the Hebrew of the Old Testament and do not practice the religion of the Hebrew```
    Correct they are of the Babylonian Pharisee Religion which is not of God.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very, very careful with whom you chat over the fence.

+ Reply to Thread