User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: What do you think would happen if we withdrew from the ME?

  1. #1
    Points: 99,343, Level: 76
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    78610
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33,390
    Points
    99,343
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    4,767
    Thanked 10,575x in 7,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What do you think would happen if we withdrew from the ME?

    We no longer need the oil. In fact the taxpayers have paid to keep us dependent on foreign oil and oil in unfair competition with alternate energy by funding wars that I think all would agree were at least partly fought in relation to oil. Intended or not our actions have delayed alternate energy development.
    We have no right to expect the world to trade oil in our dollars and being dependent upon them doing so is a weakness, not a strength. In fact, how have our actions in the ME NOT done more harm than good to National security?
    We have proof that we really cannot "fix" these countries and that occupation is a fool's errand. We sell or give arms to very, very questionable people and we know that those arms kill allies , at times likely even Americans. Sometimes we arm enemies or potential enemies against one another!
    So why do we continue? What rational definable reason is there for our interference in the ME? What makes it worth the taxpayers dollar and more importantly what makes it worth sending our young to kill and die half a world away? What makes it worth creating two terrorist for each one we kill and piling up hatred and enemies?

    Why continue? What do each of you think would happen if we pulled out, shut the arms deals and military aid down and stopped trying to impose our will while keeping better homeland defense because we'd be more concentrated on it.?
    What do we fear so much that we will sacrifice like this for the results we get?

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Strangelove (12-01-2018),Just AnotherPerson (12-01-2018)

  3. #2
    Points: 97,350, Level: 75
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 2,600
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283362
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,095
    Points
    97,350
    Level
    75
    Thanks Given
    33,725
    Thanked 14,723x in 11,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We trade all over the world. Do you believe oil is the only thing we trade?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (12-01-2018)

  5. #3
    Points: 99,343, Level: 76
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    78610
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33,390
    Points
    99,343
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    4,767
    Thanked 10,575x in 7,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    We trade all over the world. Do you believe oil is the only thing we trade?
    Your in luck MV as I can transulate that . What you're really saying is

    "You got nothin but you are too $#@!y to admit it.
    Clearly the OP was NOT about normal "trade"

  6. #4
    Points: 97,350, Level: 75
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 2,600
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283362
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,095
    Points
    97,350
    Level
    75
    Thanks Given
    33,725
    Thanked 14,723x in 11,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Your in luck MV as I can transulate that . What you're really saying is
    "You got nothin but you are too $#@!y to admit it.
    Clearly the OP was NOT about normal "trade"
    I am trying to educate you.

    We have trade all over the world. You asked about getting out of the Middle East because we no longer need their oil. Oil is not the only reason we stay engaged. Nor would disengagement mean we would increase the pace of moving to alternative fuel sources.
    You need a mulligan.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

  7. #5
    Points: 22,697, Level: 36
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Dr. Strangelove's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    18323
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    N. California, Sierra foothills
    Posts
    8,272
    Points
    22,697
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,622
    Thanked 2,084x in 1,699 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PEACE WOULD BREAK OUT!And the chimes of freedom would ring!Poor nations could prosper!Trade would flourish!


    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. --H.L. Mencken,

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Strangelove For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (12-02-2018)

  9. #6
    Points: 11,784, Level: 26
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    18992
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,944
    Points
    11,784
    Level
    26
    Thanks Given
    1,539
    Thanked 953x in 698 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Op! Well one thing is we want to asert our control everywhere. Second I think it has alot to do with just plain greed of the military industrial complex. We do really funny business. We arm the "so called" bad guys, we create them actually. Then we say we have to erradicate them. So we are making big money selling arms to the rebels, and we also make big money killing them. I think war is business.

    I do not think the ME is better off with us there. We have caused far more harm than we have ever caused good. In fact I dont think we have ever caused good only harm. Like Yemen, how is our helping to drop bombs on civilians saving them from the Houthis? It is like saying we need to save them by killing them.

    If we were not spending all of this money on the wars in the ME we would not be in the kind of debt we are and we could do so much more for our own nation.

    On top of this it was said that we needed to open up oil drilling on our soil so that we could become energy independent. But we are exporting our resources instead of using them for ourselves and at the same time we are still buying from others. Not only that we get most of our oil from Canada not SA. We are now the no 1 producer of oil in the world.

    So many lives have been lost. So many innocent civilians have died for no reason except control and power and greed. We have destroyed civilizations. We have also destroyed our young men and women who we have sent into harms way to fight for a lie. We have cost American families their daughters and sons. We have cost our young soldiers, by them having to live with what they know.

    Yes it is time for us to end our regime change wars. It is time to stop killing the innocent for greed. It is time to stop creating wars to feed the military industrial complex.

    I do not know exactly what would happen, but I know it wont be what is happening now. I think way less people would be dying, and that they could have the real possibility to rebuild their lives. The Me was a beautiful place before we dropped our bombs, and created rebels. I wonder if it can ever be the same again? Probably not, but we should let them try.

    Thank you for making this thread. Very good!
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 12-01-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

    donttread (12-01-2018),Dr. Strangelove (12-01-2018)

  11. #7
    Points: 99,343, Level: 76
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    78610
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33,390
    Points
    99,343
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    4,767
    Thanked 10,575x in 7,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I am trying to educate you.

    We have trade all over the world. You asked about getting out of the Middle East because we no longer need their oil. Oil is not the only reason we stay engaged. Nor would disengagement mean we would increase the pace of moving to alternative fuel sources.
    You need a mulligan.
    Last edited by donttread; 12-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.

  12. #8
    Points: 99,343, Level: 76
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    78610
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33,390
    Points
    99,343
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    4,767
    Thanked 10,575x in 7,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I am trying to educate you.

    We have trade all over the world. You asked about getting out of the Middle East because we no longer need their oil. Oil is not the only reason we stay engaged. Nor would disengagement mean we would increase the pace of moving to alternative fuel sources.
    You need a mulligan.
    Always remember when you try to educate anyone. You cannot teach that which you do not know.
    But the real question is how can a con like you NOT understand that fair competition with oil would have meant more sales for alternate energy and the competition along with the money would have advanced the product more quickly. That's Capitalism 102.
    Also , while we should be more independent as a nation, we would still trade. But we can and have traded without this amount of interventionism in the ME.

  13. #9
    Points: 99,343, Level: 76
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    78610
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33,390
    Points
    99,343
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    4,767
    Thanked 10,575x in 7,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Great Op! Well one thing is we want to asert our control everywhere. Second I think it has alot to do with just plain greed of the military industrial complex. We do really funny business. We arm the "so called" bad guys, we create them actually. Then we say we have to erradicate them. So we are making big money selling arms to the rebels, and we also make big money killing them. I think war is business.

    I do not think the ME is better off with us there. We have caused far more harm than we have ever caused good. In fact I dont think we have ever caused good only harm. Like Yemen, how is our helping to drop bombs on civilians saving them from the Houthis? It is like saying we need to save them by killing them.

    If we were not spending all of this money on the wars in the ME we would not be in the kind of debt we are and we could do so much more for our own nation.

    On top of this it was said that we needed to open up oil drilling on our soil so that we could become energy independent. But we are exporting our resources instead of using them for ourselves and at the same time we are still buying from others. Not only that we get most of our oil from Canada not SA. We are now the no 1 producer of oil in the world.

    So many lives have been lost. So many innocent civilians have died for no reason except control and power and greed. We have destroyed civilizations. We have also destroyed our young men and women who we have sent into harms way to fight for a lie. We have cost American families their daughters and sons. We have cost our young soldiers, by them having to live with what they know.

    Yes it is time for us to end our regime change wars. It is time to stop killing the innocent for greed. It is time to stop creating wars to feed the military industrial complex.

    I do not know exactly what would happen, but I know it wont be what is happening now. I think way less people would be dying, and that they could have the real possibility to rebuild their lives. The Me was a beautiful place before we dropped our bombs, and created rebels. I wonder if it can ever be the same again? Probably not, but we should let them try.

    Thank you for making this thread. Very good!
    Very good post but you said a mouthful in that first paragraph! We create the enemy.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (12-02-2018)

  15. #10
    Points: 97,350, Level: 75
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 2,600
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    283362
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    47,095
    Points
    97,350
    Level
    75
    Thanks Given
    33,725
    Thanked 14,723x in 11,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Always remember when you try to educate anyone. You cannot teach that which you do not know.
    But the real question is how can a con like you NOT understand that fair competition with oil would have meant more sales for alternate energy and the competition along with the money would have advanced the product more quickly. That's Capitalism 102.
    Also , while we should be more independent as a nation, we would still trade. But we can and have traded without this amount of interventionism in the ME.
    The good news for you is that I know.

    You claimed, with no evidence whatsoever that fair competition for oil would mean more sales for alternative energy. How?

    Try to provide some specifics. Handwaving is fun. Specifics are better.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO