Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,703x in 2,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I've asked the mods to remove the garbage from Cigar. Please don't respond to it.
    That's right, we don't want too diverse conversations around here.....
    "Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
    ----------

Nattering naybob

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RightWingExtremist View Post
    I have a question for you. How could the two precepts of justice be so indifferent, yet having one be so impactful on the other? Most of the artificial legal law here in the US is based in some way or another off of moral religious law, namely from Christianity. But since there has been a sudden animus towards natural moral law in this country, I doubt the two could coexist much longer; and they do coexist, just in a one sided symbiotic kind of way.
    It is? Way I see it is Christian law and legal law may be both based on moral law, but neither is the source. Moral law is, per the Declaration, based on the Laws of Nature and Nature's God. Here is Rothbard on the matter, from The Ethics of Liberty:

The believer in a rationally established natural law must, then, face the hostility of both camps: the one group sensing in this position an antagonism toward religion; and the other group suspecting that God and mysticism are being slipped in by the back door. To the first group, it must be said that they are reflecting an extreme Augustinian position which held that faith rather than reason was the only legitimate tool for investigating man's nature and man's proper ends. In short, in this fideist tradition, theology had completely displaced philosophy. [3] The Thomist tradition, on the contrary, was precisely the opposite: vindicating the independence of philosophy from theology and proclaiming the ability of man's reason to understand and arrive at the laws, physical and ethical, of the natural order. If belief in a systematic order of natural laws open to discovery by man's reason is per se anti-religious, then anti-religious also were St. Thomas and the later Scholastics, as well as the devout Protestant jurist Hugo Grotius. The statement that there is an order of natural law, in short, leaves open the problem of whether or not God has created that order; and the assertion of the viability of man's reason to discover the natural order leaves open the question of whether or not that reason was given to man by God. The assertion of an order of natural laws discoverable by reason is, by itself, neither pro- nor anti-religious.[4]
    Consider, for example, the discussion of Sodom and Gomorrah we had recently. Jesus said one thing, Jude another. I would venture Jesus, even if only the Jeffersonian one, conformed more to moral law than Jude.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nic34 View Post
    Not the point, nic, see the rules: "Moderation of these rules and guidelines with be lighter under forum areas "The Political Forums" and "Politics and News", but will be stricter under "Other Discussions" where more serious discussion is expected." This discussion falls under Other Discussions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Mister D (01-22-2013)

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Alif Qadr's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 254x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cigar is not alone in his mindless partisanship. I took it out on him this morning but it is depressing how low the level of political discussion has fallen in this country. It's almost as if we are rooting for rival football teams.
    There is definitely a correlation between the partisan mentality and the level of games of competition the adherents view and participate in. This is a really sad state of affairs.
    مندوب المختار مختصة هي تستحق ابنه الحكمة من أطفال رحلة ليلية الثناء
    Alif Qadr Muhktar Muhammad Bashir ibn Bani Isr
    باسم "الله الرحمن الرحيم"
    In the name of Allah The Beneficent The Merciful

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alif Qadr For This Useful Post:

Mister D (01-22-2013)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cigar just gave me negative reputation for this post...what?
    He's got no rep power, so it's pointless as he is in his legalisms (trying to keep to topic, lol).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

RightWingExtremist (01-22-2013)

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    RightWingExtremist's Avatar Member
    Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Orion Arm
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41x in 28 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif Qadr View Post
    RWE,
    My personal opinion of the situation is that for a long time in this country, there has been a move to remove all vestiges of anything and everything moral from the lexicon and collective psyche of the US. From the posturing and position of so-called ethics into laws and statutes in the 1980's and 1990's to outright hostility towards anything exhibiting a moral compass.
    Ethics are defined as A SYSTEM or branch of moral philosophy, limiting morality to theory instead of what it used to be known as, which is a sound and solid foundation governing human interaction(s). This is a part of moral relativism, in my opinion. Then again, I am an extremist because I believe in morals and principles that are based in NATURAL LAW. To me, Natural Law are laws that are apparent and not manufactured such as an appellate court decision or a Supreme Court decision, also known as "case law".

See, there I go again digressing. . .
    Welcome to the club buddy, religious types like us are becoming more of an outcast in this "tolerant" country we now live in today. I can remember (even in my limited age) when the ACLU defended religious liberty, using artificial legal law. But alas, it is becoming not so these days.
    It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it. - A.A. Hodge

Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he's losing; nobody wants you to quit when you're ahead. -Jackie Robinson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RightWingExtremist For This Useful Post:

Alif Qadr (01-23-2013)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,582x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nic34 View Post
    If by "diverse" we mean random, off topic personal attacks, correct. This isn't the place for that.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Isn't funny how quick they recite the rules
    In a thread about moral and legal rules reciting rules is not intended to be funny. All those rules amount only to the request to be rational.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41x in 28 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It is? Way I see it is Christian law and legal law may be both based on moral law, but neither is the source. Moral law is, per the Declaration, based on the Laws of Nature and Nature's God. Here is Rothbard on the matter, from The Ethics of Liberty:

Consider, for example, the discussion of Sodom and Gomorrah we had recently. Jesus said one thing, Jude another. I would venture Jesus, even if only the Jeffersonian one, conformed more to moral law than Jude.
    You bring up a good point. But from what I see, our laws have more to do with the morality that was set forth in the Bible (yeah I know, kinda drifting a bit off topic here). To prove my position: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor (perjury under oath, perpetrating hoaxes and the like are illegal) Thou shalt not steal (all types of theft are outlawed here) Thou shalt not kill (murder is illegal). All sorts of case law and/or public law has been fashioned in some way by using these three commandments as a template. I cant help but see a pattern.
    It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it. - A.A. Hodge

Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he's losing; nobody wants you to quit when you're ahead. -Jackie Robinson

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41x in 28 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Of course those with none $#@! and whine like you do.
    Please

Let us not poison this thread with responses to that puerile imp. I've only been here a few days, but I am aware of an ignore function that exists in your account settings. Might I suggest we all try it?

(To clarify, the puerile imp I refer to is Cigar)

That is all.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RightWingExtremist For This Useful Post:

Agravan (01-23-2013),Chris (01-22-2013),Mister D (01-22-2013)

+ Reply to Thread