User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Black gun owners ask: Does the Second Amendment apply to us?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Most states do NOT have a "must disclose" law. If you have a legal firearm in your possession, it is none of the cop's damned business. In the majority of states, there is NO legal requirement to disclose that fact.

If the firearm is in a place where you have to reach for your registration or proof of insurance, advise the cop the gun is there and ask him how he wants you to proceed. If you are wearing the gun and he asks you to exist the vehicle, advise him that you are armed and ask him how he wants to proceed. If he asks you if you have any firearms in the vehicle, be honest with him.

If he does not specifically ask you and the vehicle is kept in a place you do not have to access to get your registration and proof of insurance, in most states, you are under NO obligation to advise him that you have a firearm in the vehicle. It is not only none of his business, quite often doing so just complicates matter unnecessarily.
    Cletus you try to hard, disclosure laws or lack of you can place where the sun doesnt shine, if you dont want to get shot do NOT surprise a police officer by having a gun on you that he doesnt know about. Only a DUMBASS would think it was prudent to not tell a cop hes armed LEGALLY, during any kind of interaction.

Every cop Ive known told all their friends and relatives if you are stopped by a cop, make sure he sees your hands, stick them out the window, if its at night turn the interior lights on and put your hands on the steering wheel. If you are armed inform him FIRST before any other verbal exchanges.

Now moving along
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-05-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    In many states your CCW Permit is listed on your driver's license information so as soon as he runs your tags he knows you have a permit. My wife was involved in a fender bender in NC. She has a CCW permit from TN.
    She told the investigating officer she was armed, he said he already knew that when he ran her tag. And that was that. No muss, no fuss.
    Nathan im aware of that but you missed a whole big chunk of a police interaction before he runs your tag

He stops you comes to your vehicle the first question he should have for you is, do you have anything on you or in the car I should know about, you would have to be totally braindead to not say I have a legal firearm on my person.

Theres interaction before he runs your tags to run your tags you were already rummaging for your wallet or in your glove box for your credentials, he may ask you to step out of the vehicle before he runs your tags depending on the nature of the stop.

Lastly dont assume that your wife is going to make a cops antenna go up automatically they do have instincts and experience and training.

Id like to say one more thing, states with no disclosure laws like Florida means you do not have to tell the officer you are armed unless he asks. Florida also has a law that you must inform the officer if you are armed upon being asked. The first thing deputies do in florida is ask if you have a firearm on you. If they dont they are the dumbass's
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-05-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Nathan im aware of that but you missed a whole big chunk of a police interaction before he runs your tag

He stops you comes to your vehicle the first question he should have for you is, do you have anything on you or in the car I should know about, you would have to be totally braindead to not say I have a legal firearm on my person.

Theres interaction before he runs your tags to run your tags you were already rummaging for your wallet or in your glove box for your credentials, he may ask you to step out of the vehicle before he runs your tags depending on the nature of the stop.

Lastly dont assume that your wife is going to make a cops antenna go up automatically they do have instincts and experience and training.

Id like to say one more thing, states with no disclosure laws like Florida means you do not have to tell the officer you are armed unless he asks. Florida also has a law that you must inform the officer if you are armed upon being asked. The first thing deputies do in florida is ask if you have a firearm on you. If they dont they are the dumbass's
    Well, I was rear ended in Ocala Florida and I was never asked if I were armed. I too have a CCW permit from TN and I had TN tags on the car at the time. I wasn't armed since, actually then being a resident of Florida, my TN permit wasn't valid. I will have to say I was out of the car and extremely calm at the time so perhaps the person who hit me was perceived as a bigger threat since she was highly agitated that I would actually stop at a red light before turning.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    As I recall in a relatively recent case, a black man did just that, which panicked the police officer who shot the man as a result of his admission. It's all fine and dandy to say that black people have equal rights to carry guns - unfortunately, because of profiling, black men carrying legal weapons or having them in their vehicles or homes, if known to the police, makes them targets. Let's face it, it even makes white people targets.
    Doc 28 yrs and I never profiled or saw any profiling, if you want to consider sharing descriptions off known individuals then all police profile and still are.

I cant speak for police everywhere, environment makes officers react differently, rural vs city, suburban. Different laws state to state, I can only speak from my experience and much of it can be applied across the board, like informing a police officer you are legally armed during an interaction.

Ive never said police dont make mistakes and ive never said there are not bad cops since the day I hit this forum and you know that.

Heres an inconvenient truth when officers work a black neighborhood they arent discussing white folks. If your zone and I realize they do it different today is a black neighborhood and thats your run everyday you get to know all the players and you exchange that information with other officers on other shifts, if that is profiling then ALL cops profile and always will.

White cops are far more on edge in black neighborhoods there are some realities and inconvenient truths that the most educated individuals are CLUELESS about, alot of people talk and dont know the reality of being in situations, they most always are back seat driving after the fact.

I am not going to go the white cop black person thing again, people make their own problems much of the time.

Cops today do alot of things differently and alot of things I wouldnt do. I have two son in laws that have been cops for years one is a Lt and the other a k9 officer. So I stay a little current on somethings, laws differ state to state and Police arent versed on other states laws.

I do know this my son in laws both believe the standards should be raised to be a Police Officer
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-05-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Well, I was rear ended in Ocala Florida and I was never asked if I were armed. I too have a CCW permit from TN and I had TN tags on the car at the time. I wasn't armed since, actually then being a resident of Florida, my TN permit wasn't valid. I will have to say I was out of the car and extremely calm at the time so perhaps the person who hit me was perceived as a bigger threat since she was highly agitated that I would actually stop at a red light before turning.
    Then the cop is a dumbass, or he determined that you werent a threat for some reason.
    Any officer who works in a non disclosure state is a fool if he doesnt ask in the beginning of an interaction with any citizen if they are armed.

I know you realize that some depts are alot less professional than others and the quality of training can vary dramatically there is much different training and daily interaction between big city cops and rural police officers, they all do the same thing in the end but they have to get there differently, I cant speak for what all cops do or how they do it. I can only speak for what I know and what ive done.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,208x in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc 28 yrs and I never profiled or saw any profiling, if you want to consider sharing descriptions off known individuals then all police profile and still are.

I cant speak for police everywhere, environment makes officers react differently, rural vs city, suburban. Different laws state to state, I can only speak from my experience and much of it can be applied across the board, like informing a police officer you are legally armed during an interaction.

Ive never said police dont make mistakes and ive never said there are not bad cops since the day I hit this forum and you know that.

Heres an inconvenient truth when officers work a black neighborhood they arent discussing white folks. If your zone and I realize they do it different today is a black neighborhood and thats your run everyday you get to know all the players and you exchange that information with other officers on other shifts, if that is profiling then ALL cops profile and always will.

White cops are far more on edge in black neighborhoods there are some realities and inconvenient truths that the most educated individuals are CLUELESS about, alot of people talk and dont know the reality of being in situations, they most always are back seat driving after the fact.

I am not going to go the white cop black person thing again, people make their own problems much of the time.

Cops today do alot of things differently and alot of things I wouldnt do. I have two son in laws that have been cops for years one is a Lt and the other a k9 officer. So I stay a little current on somethings, laws differ state to state and Police arent versed on other states laws.

I do know this my son in laws both believe the standards should be raised to be a Police Officer
    Profiling is just working smart. When an officer is in a neighborhood known for gun violence, working smart means staying alive.

Back in the 70's there was the same outrage about cops shooting unarmed perps. I think education increased and things seemed to simmer down until the recent, and often misplaced, outrages inflamed the issue again.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    As I recall in a relatively recent case, a black man did just that, which panicked the police officer who shot the man as a result of his admission. It's all fine and dandy to say that black people have equal rights to carry guns - unfortunately, because of profiling, black men carrying legal weapons or having them in their vehicles or homes, if known to the police, makes them targets. Let's face it, it even makes white people targets.
    I would like to say one thing to you Doc and Im not getting into a conversation with anyone else about this either.

Why do black Police officers shoot more blacks and are more likely to shoot blacks. Thats something no one ever mentions because it doesnt fit the direction they want to take every conversation about Police.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,474x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cletus you try to hard, disclosure laws or lack of you can place where the sun doesnt shine, if you dont want to get shot do NOT surprise a police officer by having a gun on you that he doesnt know about. Only a DUMBASS would think it was prudent to not tell a cop hes armed LEGALLY, during any kind of interaction.

As I said, regardless of your God complex, whether a citizen is legally armed is no business of any cop unless there is a specific reason. When you were a cop, you probably encountered hundreds of legally armed (and some illegally armed) citizens and never even knew it.

That is the way it should be.

Every cop Ive known told all their friends and relatives if you are stopped by a cop, make sure he sees your hands, stick them out the window, if its at night turn the interior lights on and put your hands on the steering wheel. If you are armed inform him FIRST before any other verbal exchanges.

Maybe every cop you have ever known is on the same ego trip as you. The part about the hands is good advice, except I wouldn't stick them out of the window unless directed. That is far too submissive. Placing them on the steering wheel in plain sight is more than sufficient.

As far as informing the cop about being armed... here is a dose of reality for you. One, it is none of your damned business whether a citizen is legally armed or not. If he has no intent to break the law, you don't need to know and you have no right to know and in most jurisdictions, he is under no legal obligation to inform you. Your statement about shooting citizens shows a dangerous mindset and it is probably very good that you are no longer a cop.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

ODB (12-04-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cletus youre a beta male always projecting online trying to impress others.

You rant and rave and brag about how much you know and you know nothing about the reality of being there and doing it.

The law being in some jurisdictions LIKE IN FLORIDA that you dont have to inform the cop you are armed has nothing to do with being a stupid $#@! and taking an unnecessary chance.

Anyone with a legal gun has every reason not to create a situation where there could be a problem by merely informing the officer you have a legal weapon on you. Anyone that doesnt see the common sense in that is well another cletus.

You keep trying to impress me with what you know by telling me silly $#@! Ive known for decades.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    Profiling is just working smart. When an officer is in a neighborhood known for gun violence, working smart means staying alive.

Back in the 70's there was the same outrage about cops shooting unarmed perps. I think education increased and things seemed to simmer down until the recent, and often misplaced, outrages inflamed the issue again.
    Of course it is the profiling thing was all about projecting and having something to complain about and making excuses, in the end nothing changed, they said it changed but it didnt change.

If your working a white neighborhood you know all the white scoundrels and the same in black neighborhoods.
    The groups that attacked profiling said they were just stocking piling information on blacks to find ways to arrest them. That was just not true.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Hoosier8 (12-04-2018)

+ Reply to Thread