Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    funnier than some of the tripe you post.......... and more honest
    Awwwwwwww is his little heart broken?
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Awwwwwwww is his little heart broken?
    more tripe...................and unimportant
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    There seems to be a controversy over Narcan the overdose antidote drug, some Police are carrying it and many are not and will not.

Many Deputies in fla are carrying it and this am in the local paper a deputy saved someones life with Narcan in the early am hours.

Some depts are taking the stance that Police Officers are not trained medical personell and if someone where to be adversely affected by the drug theres liability. Thats true lawyers love to sue local govts.

I personally have no firm stance on this, I was wondering what other forum members thought.
    I think it depends on the jurisdiction; our deputies carry narcan; I carry narcan as a fire police officer where I live but it's strictly voluntary for us.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    I don't know why it's the officer's job to save someone from themself in the capacity of ODing on an illegal substance.
    Probably the same reason the officer might try to save someone from jumping off a bridge or building; I don't know of any police officer who'd simply not try to do nothing and let the person die.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Sheriffs and Police Chiefs are viewing this as a liability issue, adminstering CPR is not administering a medication a drug, which narcan is even though its an antidote, there are warnings with Narcan as with any other medication.

To give some background in the 70s lawyers made a living out of suing Police Depts and individual officers for lack of training. Anytime anything occurred there was a lawsuit for lack of training therefore culpability.

Im assuming now that Police Chiefs and in turn mayors and county commissioners are worried about a entirely new expensive form of training for officers to administer a drug without everyone being sued again. In the end its the taxpayers that foot the bill for everything.

Some police chiefs believe that a 911 call with a possible overdose EMTS be dispatched along with the Officer and/or as soon as the officer gets on scene and makes a determination he calls for a wagon.

Like i said Im not firm either way I have no skin in the game either. I wouldnt want to watch someone die I might have been able to save either.

If they are going to carry narcan theres going to have be special training class's that cost a fortune. They cost a fortune because police have to be paid overtime for special training because they cant be trained while they are on duty, they have to be called in on days off etc and even with training there are liabilities.

Trial lawyers are ingenius in coming up with ways to get in someones pocket.
    Last edited by Common; 12-04-2018 at 05:53 PM.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

ODB (12-04-2018)

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ODB's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 440x in 295 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Officers may be the first to arrive on the scene of accidents, overdoses, and other medical emergencies. They are expected to perform things like CPR and first aid until an ambulance arrives. Administering Narcan is reasonable.
    Is the cost of providing Narcan 'reasonable'? Or a completely wasted expense that only benefit the dregs of society?

Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    Probably the same reason the officer might try to save someone from jumping off a bridge or building; I don't know of any police officer who'd simply not try to do nothing and let the person die.
    Ok, given the officer's altruistic value system that's a reasonable viewpoint.
    Last edited by ODB; 12-04-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,300x in 4,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it should be left up to the officer if he or she is comfortable administering this. Todays lawyers will try to put one in prison claiming they did it wrong. It doesn't have to make sense, they will file it anyway.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    I think it should be left up to the officer if he or she is comfortable administering this. Todays lawyers will try to put one in prison claiming they did it wrong. It doesn't have to make sense, they will file it anyway.
    Roadmaster it doesnt work like that, nothing is up to individual officers, officers dont pick and choose what they are going to do and what they are not. They do what they are told to do in writing by their superiors who in turn follow the laws.

If Police in a dept or deputies are going to be ordered to carry narcan, ALL of them will carry narcan.
    There have been situations in the past with bigger depts PBA and FOPS bringing their dept to court to stop and order than adamantly disagree with.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I know that there are some municipalities that give Narcan directly to the homeless and known drug users to cut down on overdose-related deaths. I think both Vancouver and Toronto do it, for example. Narcan doesn't get people high and doesn't harm people if they are not on opiates so there really is no harm in distributing it responsibly.
    Boy Do I disagree with that, giving the homeless anything related to a drug is a NO NO, there are too many mentally ill homeless and too many that prey on others and take every little thing they aquire, they get drunk they get high and too many of them would be eating narcan. You cant entrust the homeless like that you have to set up dispensaries in close proximity of them that are controlled.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    I think it depends on the jurisdiction; our deputies carry narcan; I carry narcan as a fire police officer where I live but it's strictly voluntary for us.
    Police Depts dont have volunarteers that do some things and others that dont, you do what youre told, the dept issues a directive that officers will carry narcan and all officers do.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

+ Reply to Thread