Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,825x in 10,123 Posts
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Look we don't know how many mouths and writers the words of Jesus have been through, so arguing about what he said might just be arguing about what someone else said he said.
    The Gospel of John was written by his brother. He was with Jesus. Pretty good reference. The others were written by men who talked to the Apostles. That's what biographers do.

I believe the scriptures are what the Church says it is. If you don't, then you can't discuss it. If Jesus didn't say something in your opinion we have no ground to debate.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    That is the truth. But there are some gnostic gospels that are said to be from the time of Christ. But still it is true that Jesus himself didn't write them. But there are many accounts from many different writers of the same stories. But you are not wrong though.
    A highly controversial group in the history of the Christian church, the Gnostics believed our world was actually created by an evil being named Demiurge. They still believe in a pure and good God, but they believe he created a spiritual realm, including eight divine beings called Aeons.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/gnosticism-beliefs-symbols.html

Do you get this? Does this sound like Christianity?
    Last edited by Captdon; 12-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JAP was asking where to find the words of Jesus. I don't know what your answering. It's the Gospels.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I am not here to dispute your personal beliefs. I don't have no problem with any of what you said. I only chimed in because you told a person they couldn't understand because they were not a believer. We are all allowed to believe how we wish. But we should not impose those beliefs on others or try to impose limitations on them. I gave you my thoughts on why a non believer can definitely understand the teaching. But I am not disputing your personal beliefs. But others can believe how they wish as well. I do not feel we should demean them.
    You don't have to believe to understand. You need to know the scripture, the meaning to the people then and the history of the times.. You can't take verses out of context or misinterpret them.

It has nothing to do with personal beliefs. The Scriptures mean what they mean. They never change meaning.

You know I don't care what anyone believes as long as they don't lie about the facts of the Bible. An atheist can understand the Bible. It just isn't that hard. Why would it be?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (12-11-2018)

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,442x in 14,733 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    The Gospel of John was written by his brother. He was with Jesus. Pretty good reference. The others were written by men who talked to the Apostles. That's what biographers do.

I believe the scriptures are what the Church says it is. If you don't, then you can't discuss it. If Jesus didn't say something in your opinion we have no ground to debate.
    Or so the story goes. But weren't parts of the Bible written or "found" centuries after Jesus's death? Wouldn't human interpretation and writing style best explain the huge difference between the Testaments?
    I certainly can discuss the scriptures authenticity, whether I believe "THE church" or not. If I? didn't already know you were Catholic I'd of known just from that turn of "better than the other religions" phrase.
    Last edited by donttread; 12-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
    The comparison made concerns different kinds of power. You are asking why does the world need billionaires. That is up to them, it seems, as few will ever get a chance to be there, no matter their ideas, the way the world is cut-throat over financial matters. But it would still be possible to become one.

It takes a lot of faith to do so, as to not become sidetracked with all the obstacles that may be placed in front of one for varying reasons. And then to become one, where are the benefits? Is it to help others, or discourage them, and then create enemies? Who then are a billionaire's friends? Other billionaires?

A millionaire wants millions, but he is a dirt bag, undeserving of anything except a prison sentence for his crimes. Of course, this is a hypothetical situation, it never could be the truth ever. But in hell, there should be no water. That is because the transportation has been expensive.

Just for expertise's fun, per a person starting off to become a billionaire, a killing is made, they win, gain a large hand, prepare for as they attain more, see the world is in a downward spiral, decide to run for office, win, buy more influence, pay tithes and offenses, win more power, make offers, everyone in power plays.

Is the world a better place for it? It seems to be a mixed toss.

I will stick with a game of Solitaire from a specially blessed pack of cards.

People cannot be trusted and so that is the way things are for the slackers.

Money is a tool. But money for money's sake or "love of money" is said to be the root of evil". Correct?
    Correct.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion Rules For This Useful Post:

donttread (12-11-2018)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You don't have to believe to understand. You need to know the scripture, the meaning to the people then and the history of the times.. You can't take verses out of context or misinterpret them.

It has nothing to do with personal beliefs. The Scriptures mean what they mean. They never change meaning.

You know I don't care what anyone believes as long as they don't lie about the facts of the Bible. An atheist can understand the Bible. It just isn't that hard. Why would it be?
    The $#@!ized religion the pharisees wanted at the Council of Nicea were worked out before as it was the same occultic jew religion that killed the knife being used against innocent creatures God made inside of Genesis chapter one.

That Jesus never said to kill his lambs and sheep, but to be their shepherds as He is the greatest One.

One Law of One you have never heard of how Ra became Baal worship as that is land is languishing.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or so the story goes. But weren't parts of the Bible written or "found" centuries after Jesus's death? Wouldn't human interpretation and writing style best explain the huge difference between the Testaments?
    I certainly can discuss the scriptures authenticity, whether I believe "THE church" or not. If I? didn't already know you were Catholic I'd of known just from that turn of "better than the other religions" phrase.

No, none of the scriptures were written centuries later. None were "found" later either. The Church put it together centuries later.

If you disagree with the scripture you have something to add- possibly. If you don't think they are then you have nothing to add past a book review.

Writing styles don't change the meaning of things. I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Different writers did focus on different things at times. What's out of the norm about that?

John focused completely differently from the other gospels. He starts with Jesus was God.

I use Church because mine goes back to day one. Note: semantic trick to say I wrote The church when I wrote the Church.

The Church put the NT together. You did know that?

You can question anything you want. It's a forum.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
    The $#@!ized religion the pharisees wanted at the Council of Nicea were worked out before as it was the same occultic jew religion that killed the knife being used against innocent creatures God made inside of Genesis chapter one.

That Jesus never said to kill his lambs and sheep, but to be their shepherds as He is the greatest One.

One Law of One you have never heard of how Ra became Baal worship as that is land is languishing.
    If I knew for sure what you were saying here I would report you. I think I know but I'd never be able to prove it.

+ Reply to Thread