User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Huawei’s CFO Arrested at U.S. Request, Sparking Outrage in China

  1. #1
    Points: 892, Level: 6
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    HumblePi's Avatar Member
    Karma
    55
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    144
    Points
    892
    Level
    6
    Thanks Given
    61
    Thanked 45x in 32 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Huawei’s CFO Arrested at U.S. Request, Sparking Outrage in China

    The CFO and daughter of the founder of Huawei has been arrested in Canada and is expected to be extradited to the U.S. on charges of doing business with Iran which is under U.S. sanctions.

    Huawei's CFO Arrested at U.S. Request, Sparking Outrage in China

    Huawei Technologies Co.’s chief financial officer was arrested in Canada over potential violations of U.S. sanctions on Iran, provoking outrage from China and complicating thorny trade negotiations just as they enter a critical juncture.Wanzhou Meng — also deputy chairwoman and the daughter of Huawei’s founder — faces extradition to the U.S., said Ian McLeod, a Canada Justice Department spokesman, declining to elaborate. She was arrested Dec. 1 after the U.S. Department of Justice in April opened an investigation into whether the leading telecommunications-equipment maker sold gear to Iran despite sanctions on exports to the region.

  2. #2
    Original Ranter
    Points: 170,380, Level: 98
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 3,270
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    41845
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    41,983
    Points
    170,380
    Level
    98
    Thanks Given
    14,071
    Thanked 10,839x in 8,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I heard about it this morning. China says he didn't commit any crime. Maybe they can hide the bill of sale.
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  3. #3
    Original Ranter
    Points: 272,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    770754
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    76,151
    Points
    272,133
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,070
    Thanked 36,896x in 25,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    960 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ship him back on a dingy through the south China sea

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

    MMC (12-06-2018)

  5. #4

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 291,646, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    327521
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    51,645
    Points
    291,646
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    2,804
    Thanked 6,723x in 4,215 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a she not he, she is the daughter of the founder
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  6. #5
    Original Ranter
    Points: 272,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    770754
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    76,151
    Points
    272,133
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,070
    Thanked 36,896x in 25,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    960 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Its a she not he, she is the daughter of the founder
    Miso... hooooowny, $#@!y sucky

  7. #6
    Original Ranter
    Points: 170,380, Level: 98
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 3,270
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    41845
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    41,983
    Points
    170,380
    Level
    98
    Thanks Given
    14,071
    Thanked 10,839x in 8,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the arrest of Huawei's CFO matters.....

    https://start.att.net/player/categor...o_matters-cnn2

    Video.
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  8. #7
    Points: 46,596, Level: 52
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    6997
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,361
    Points
    46,596
    Level
    52
    Thanks Given
    2,038
    Thanked 3,139x in 2,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now second Canadian gone missing in China. First one they know was arrested but don't know where he is, the second they know he was being questioned by his phone call but now can't get in tough with him. Paektu Cultural Exchange CEO, Michael Spavor.


    One ok, two within the last two days, suspicious. Maybe they are trying to tell Canada something.

  9. #8
    Original Ranter
    Points: 490,334, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    418555
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    148,772
    Points
    490,334
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    85,894
    Thanked 69,530x in 47,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    2178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    And now second Canadian gone missing in China. First one they know was arrested but don't know where he is, the second they know he was being questioned by his phone call but now can't get in tough with him. Paektu Cultural Exchange CEO, Michael Spavor.


    One ok, two within the last two days, suspicious. Maybe they are trying to tell Canada something.
    It is funny to watch how "polite" countries react to other countries not only flout international norms, but blatantly flout them.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  10. #9
    Points: 103,938, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,312
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79226
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    35,004
    Points
    103,938
    Level
    78
    Thanks Given
    5,175
    Thanked 11,191x in 8,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    The CFO and daughter of the founder of Huawei has been arrested in Canada and is expected to be extradited to the U.S. on charges of doing business with Iran which is under U.S. sanctions.

    Huawei's CFO Arrested at U.S. Request, Sparking Outrage in China

    Huawei Technologies Co.’s chief financial officer was arrested in Canada over potential violations of U.S. sanctions on Iran, provoking outrage from China and complicating thorny trade negotiations just as they enter a critical juncture.Wanzhou Meng — also deputy chairwoman and the daughter of Huawei’s founder — faces extradition to the U.S., said Ian McLeod, a Canada Justice Department spokesman, declining to elaborate. She was arrested Dec. 1 after the U.S. Department of Justice in April opened an investigation into whether the leading telecommunications-equipment maker sold gear to Iran despite sanctions on exports to the region.

    I think the 8th paragraph says it all when it comes to why we are doing this. If you can't beat em, jail em. LOL
    Am I the only one who sees this ban as hypocritical when we arm dangerous players all the time? At one point you could not legally import Cuban cigars while we armed the ME against each other and no doubt supplies the weapons that killed some of our own.
    Supporting such actions without thought is an example of blindly supporting our government. Would you not question the motives of any other country in this situation?

  11. #10
    Original Ranter
    Points: 490,334, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    418555
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    148,772
    Points
    490,334
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    85,894
    Thanked 69,530x in 47,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    2178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I think the 8th paragraph says it all when it comes to why we are doing this. If you can't beat em, jail em. LOL
    Am I the only one who sees this ban as hypocritical when we arm dangerous players all the time? At one point you could not legally import Cuban cigars while we armed the ME against each other and no doubt supplies the weapons that killed some of our own.
    Supporting such actions without thought is an example of blindly supporting our government. Would you not question the motives of any other country in this situation?
    We aren't banning these cell phones for political reasons. We are banning them because they are platforms for industrial espionage.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO