Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What was so great about them? And what makes them greater than the generation that founded America?

Actually, that will be the baby-boomers, the most hypocritical, conceited, and brainwashed generation in US history. Under their watch, the US has become a shadow of its former self. All the major problems this country is facing today emerged while baby-boomers were badly mismanaging the political system. It wasn't millennials who threw away trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of American lives on disastrous wars in Vietnam and Iraq. It wasn't millenials who voted for massive expansions to government welfare programs. It wasn't millenials who crashed the economy with their reckless accumulation of debt. And it wasn't millenials who let a few Middle Easterners hijack planes and fly them into the World Trade Centers. Nope, that was all the baby-boomer generation. Most DC politicians are baby-boomers. Washington DC is a corrupt mess, naturally. But blaming someone else is the go-to boomer response, even if the ones they're blaming haven't been in charge of anything yet.
    From the least sensible person here.

My father's generation raised kids in a decade long depression. Then they fought a huge war. They were in their late thirties getting started. You would have been one living in a shack, drinking MD 20-20 and crying your self to sleep.

These young people, as a whole, are lazy, wrongly educated and believe $#@! that people like you preach. You're part of the problem and always will be.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I think it is more than that. As I said above, these cultural trends are cyclical. You are probably right about their college experience, to some degree. My college was somewhat diverse, but my law school was very diverse- Tulane is an international school.

What I think has more importance is their early years- how they are raised. That is where you see a big difference from our generations to the Millennials.
    The ones in my generation that didn't go to college worked around different people and cultures. I worked around refugees from all over Europe; I worked with blacks; I worked with Latinos. I worked with them and their cultures. i fail to see @Safety point. It isn't any more now than then.

Ethereal is forgetting that I worked hard to get what I have. I worked long hours and dirty jobs. They are both wrong.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-09-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    All this Generation talk made me think. The Boomers and the Millennials argee on absolutely nothing, but one thing!

They should get everything and the people in the generation between them should pay for it!
    I paid my way through life. That the feds screwed up isn't on me.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,519x in 14,779 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    All this Generation talk made me think. The Boomers and the Millennials argee on absolutely nothing, but one thing!

They should get everything and the people in the generation between them should pay for it!
    SS and Medicare were funded with earmarked money NOT general fund tax dollars. That is OUR MONEY and EVERYONE should be made whole with either a lump sum payout or their benefits as promised.
    EVERYONE includes me, you and even some teenager that made so little money they paid no general fund tax but still got hit for $100.00 in SS .
    We have no problem borrowing money for war, intervention, arming other nations, aiding other nations, welfare, corporate welfare and buy outs, holding huge tracts of land, sending AF 1 out on the campaign trail, special long term benefits for congressman plus a grab ass hush fund for them, grants , etc. We can also honor lifetime promises to our citizens. If we cannot do that while doing all that other stuff then we are not really worthy of the name America. I have long ago stopped calling us US because that simply isn't true. We are a federally dominated nation , but if we can't honor this we might as well start using the term : Unamerica
    Last edited by donttread; 12-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

ODB (12-09-2018)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HumblePi's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 47x in 34 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The social/societal evolution of the U.S. isn't unique to other developed nations around the world, we're all pretty much the same. The post WW2 baby-boomer generation aren't only 'years' behind us historically, they're now light-years behind us. I am a baby boomer and understand how much our country was influenced by the the post war years.

We were pretty much a Republican-minded country. We believed in an ideology which was founded on the creed that societal health is rooted in personal responsibility and actions. We were conservative. Our mothers wore white aprons and cooked, cleaned and raised children. Our fathers worked 2 jobs to modestly support a large family and maybe be able to afford a two week vacation at a lake cabin every summer. We didn't use credit cards or eat fast food. We were on a pay-as-you-go method of purchasing what we needed. If we didn't have the money to buy what we wanted, we didn't get what we wanted.

Fast forward to 1985 and to the advancements in automation and and advancing developments of computer hardware and software technologies. Computers enabled us to be more effective in our jobs, created a method of global outreach that was previously unknown and all that was available to the common person, not just reserved for the more privileged elite. We also saw the explosion of social media where with AOL's chat rooms you could talk with real people in real time and all from the comfort of home! It was pretty amazing.

Within a few short decades we went from one extreme to the furthest extreme imaginable. Women went to college and got good educations that prepared them for a 'man's world'. It was essential for women to become educated in order to compete on the same level as her male counterparts. Married couples started limiting their families and had less children, both parents work, kids go to daycare. Money became the obsession because there were more toys to buy, electronics to burn money on and children that want the same 'toys' that their classmates have. Watching my 3 year old nephew controlling a tablet with the flick of his little finger made me wonder what we've created and whether it will be a good thing or not.

So why is it a surprise to anyone how we got where we are now? We're a country of consumers who have to work longer and harder to afford those things we think we can't live without. Oh yeah, there were some good values 'back in the day' and some of us wistfully remember walking miles to school, now kids are driven the 1/2 mile in mom's Range Rover. We remember when fast food meant a PB&J on white bread. But progress brought us here and we basically have whatever we want if we can afford to pay for it. Millennials and baby boomers still want the same things basically. We want a safe place to live, enough food, a good job, health care and a country that stands for what we stand for and doesn't prioritize special benefits for the wealthy.
    Last edited by HumblePi; 12-09-2018 at 01:55 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HumblePi For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-09-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    SS and Medicare were funded with earmarked money NOT general fund tax dollars. That is OUR MONEY and EVERYONE should be made whole with either a lump sum payout or their benefits as promised.
    EVERYONE includes me, you and even some teenager that made so little money they paid no general fund tax but still got hit for $100.00 in SS .
    We have no problem borrowing money for war, intervention, arming other nations, aiding other nations, welfare, corporate welfare and buy outs, holding huge tracts of land, sending AF 1 out on the campaign trail, special long term benefits for congressman plus a grab ass hush fund for them, grants , etc. We can also honor lifetime promises to our citizens. If we cannot do that while doing all that other stuff then we are not really worthy of the name America. I have long ago stopped calling us US because that simply isn't true. We are a federally dominated nation , but if we can't honor this we might as well start using the term : Unamerica
    The politicians lied. They did it to increase your taxes.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting that theres millenials that say they cant wait till the baby boomers all die off. When we do they are in deep trouble, there will be no one to pay to give their lazy ass's everything for free.

More millenials live home with BABYBOOMER mommys and daddys than any other generation and since the economy improved they still havent moved out.

Millenials will be knowns as the WE know everything, video game, Cellphone failed generation
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (12-09-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I find it interesting that theres millenials that say they cant wait till the baby boomers all die off. When we do they are in deep trouble, there will be no one to pay to give their lazy ass's everything for free.

More millenials live home with BABYBOOMER mommys and daddys than any other generation and since the economy improved they still havent moved out.

Millenials will be knowns as the WE know everything, video game, Cellphone failed generation
    The social programs for the elderly will sputter out of cash as the Baby Boomers outnumber the workers.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (12-09-2018)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,987x in 55,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a baby boomer I must admit that I did not need to live with the hardships endured by my parents generation. However I was raised with a healthy respect for what previous generations did to make my life so comfortable. If the baby boomers are guilty of anything, it’s failing to instill that same level of respect in generation X and the millennials.

We developed entitlement generations.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 12-09-2018 at 03:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread