User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Street Strategically Isolating Women

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Okay, then what should be done, guys? People who are treated this way should just sit there and take stalking, groping, even rape without complaint, you're suggesting? Seriously, if being allowed to say that you have experienced $#@! like this is the problem here, then I assume that somehow imposing silence in the internet age is the solution you'd propose?
    I think that's been answered: Don't take accusations as evidence of guilt. Personally, I think it's good that women feel they can speak out and make accusations, they should, that's fine, but accusations alone are not enough to ruin another person's life. What I saw in the Kavanaugh case, for example, went way over the line.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-08-2018),Common (12-08-2018),Peter1469 (12-08-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said during the Kavanaugh fiasco that the #Metoo movement was now in trouble.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-08-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Report rape, assault, and hostile work environment, etc as immediately as practical.
    Or, in other words, be ye therefore perfect and never traumatized or fearful of the consequences at all! That's NOT a reasonable expectation, sorry! I'm telling you as a rape survivor myself, it's not.

Seriously, why IS there a statute of limitations specifically for sexual offenses (like rape, for example)? There's no statute of limitations attached to other crimes, like murder! Why only the one wherein women are the most one-sidedly the victims?

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I said during the Kavanaugh fiasco that the #Metoo movement was now in trouble.
    I think its more like its dead for all intents
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-08-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, in other words, be ye therefore perfect and never traumatized or fearful of the consequences at all! That's NOT a reasonable expectation, sorry! I'm telling you as a rape survivor myself, it's not.

Seriously, why IS there a statute of limitations specifically for sexual offenses (like rape, for example)? There's no statute of limitations attached to other crimes, like murder! Why only the one wherein women are the most one-sidedly the victims?
    Can you stick to your own topic Polly ? the topic is wallstreet, weve been trying to address the reason for this happening.

You want a remedy, at this point there is no remedy until theres trust put back in the equasion.

Right now men have every right not to trust any allegations at all at surface value. Men have been fired without trials and without any due process just on allegations some of these men were powerful media men. Im not saying they arent guilty, im saying they were fired before they were even proven guilty.

For a guy thats working and NEEDS the job to support his family and cant readily go out and get another, this crap scares the crap out of him.

Like I said polly and I know you HATE to hear it, women did this to themselves.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-08-2018),Cthulhu (12-08-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of states don't have a statute of limitations on rape. Others do.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-08-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most rape cases don't wind up using hard evidence to render verdicts, it boils down to he said she said. A lot of men are afraid of being put in those predicaments. It's not just the nature of the metoo movement, it's also the nature of how the courts handle these cases in many respects and how the media covers them

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Most rape cases don't wind up using hard evidence to render verdicts, it boils down to he said she said. A lot of men are afraid of being put in those predicaments. It's not just the nature of the metoo movement, it's also the nature of how the courts handle these cases in many respects and how the media covers them
    In the end, it's what a jury decides, sure, but it's up to a prosecutor to bring the case to trial. Both the jury and the prosecutor deciding, hopefully, on the basis of a preponderance of the evidence. That's how I understand it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,409
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,217x in 6,440 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recent investigation into new policies of financial corporations reacting to the Me Too movement has unearthed a rapidly expanding trend toward discriminatory policy responses designed to segregate workplaces based on sex (more, I mean) and thereby cut women off from plausible access to promotions as punishment for the existence of this movement. In fact, one wealth adviser interviewed went as far as to claim that simply hiring women is "an unknown risk" that should be embarked upon minimally in the future.

The problem with these new policies of imposed isolation for women?

I think this consequence is intentional. It's collective punishment by powerful men for the existence of a climate wherein calling out predatory sexual behavior is now more acceptable than it has been in the past.

It also shows you that once more that, in a capitalist system, people are viewed in monetary terms, not in human terms. This is occurring because women are not being viewed as assets, but now as potential legal, or at least PR, liabilities. Were we thought of as people, then maybe the natural response would be to, you know, just don't demand that a colleague get on the desk and spread her legs for you or threaten to fire a subordinate if she doesn't have sex with you. I don't feel that these are difficult or unreasonable lifestyle changes to make. There is no need for this kind of hyperbolic, juvenile drama.

As people here know by now, I'm a proponent, and defender, of exclusive spaces for women. BUT what I'd point out here is the contrast of logic between this trend on Wall Street and say the highly popular women-only rail cars that were introduced in Tokyo, Japan back in 2000. The latter is something that was, and is, demanded by women, to which end participation is optional. Single-sex rail cars were introduced in Tokyo to protect women against pervasive groping on rail cars by predatory men and nearly 70% of women who live in Tokyo still support them because having that option makes them feel safer. Wall Street's segregation of financial workplaces by sex right now, by contrast, is occurring for the exact opposite reason: to protect predatory men from women, to which end participation is not optional and is occurring within the framework of almost exclusively male-owned institutions wherein men one-sidedly control the hiring and promotion levers. (e.g. 85% of Wall Street executives and 74% of senior financial managers are male, as are 63% of even just ordinary, low-level managers. These stats can be found in the article at the first link above.)

As the first article above also points out, this trend isn't limited to the financial sector either. It's happening more broadly across corporate America to varying degrees. During the summer, I pointed to a similar development in a space that I frequent even, gaming, wherein the internet's most prominent profession video game streamer revealed that he refuses to stream with women on the grounds that
    "If I have one conversation with one female streamer where we’re playing with one another, and even if there’s a hint of flirting, that is going to be taken and going to be put on every single video and be clickbait forever. The only way to avoid [the rumors] is to not play with them at all." He wants to shield his wife from rumors of infidelity, he explained. Problem is that the effect is the same as it is in the area of finance: female pro gamers are few and far between (too few and low-profile to have the plausible option of gaining visibility and success by only ever playing with other women) and could really use visible platforms like Ninja's, and if other prominent male streamers begin to follow his example and cut off female gamers from gaining more visibility and success in streaming, the consequences for female pro gamers could be significant. So I mean this phenomenon of powerful men shutting off women on the grounds of potential sexual rumors or claims is becoming pervasive, even existing in spaces like professional gaming.

The claim that men are losing their careers (or marriages or whatever applies) over petty things like sexual jokes made in poor taste, complimenting a woman's dress, and bull$#@! like that is exactly that: bull$#@!. And you know it. No one here can produce a single example of that happening. The claims we're talking about in connection to Me Too and such are of real sexual harassment and/or abuse: of stalking, groping, requiring sex as a condition for advancement, occasionally even rape, that sort of thing. It's not difficult to avoid those types of behaviors. That's what people should do. What corporate America should NOT do is react by childishly using the Me Too movement to justify a straightforward, unambiguous power grab by men revolving around cutting women off from the corporate latter systematically for being female.
    Guilty until proven innocent. A direct response to the movement. Of course it is intentional. It’s called protection from a very bad situation caused by the #MeToo movement. It’s not anti-woman, it’s pro freedom.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-08-2018)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may not be the #metoo movement that is causing ructions, but the class action suits against the likes of Goldman Sachs for systemic gender discrimination, pay equity issues and sexual harassment.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-in-the-making
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread