Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,215x in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    There are two problems that are the main cause of the backlog, and they are linked. There are not enough trained analysts/scientists that work for law enforcement because they don't get competitive salary offers in that sector of the workforce and not enough lab equipment. Law enforcement also lacks appropriate funding, which then means they can't afford the analysts/scientists and also can't afford to send evidence to a private lab.
    Bodes well for government run healthcare. LOL
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-09-2018),ODB (12-09-2018),Peter1469 (12-09-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,540x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    Bodes well for government run healthcare. LOL
    That is a likely outcome.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-09-2018)

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,522x in 55,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On women's isolation...

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-09-2018)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    A recent investigation into new policies of financial corporations reacting to the Me Too movement has unearthed a rapidly expanding trend toward discriminatory policy responses designed to segregate workplaces based on sex (more, I mean) and thereby cut women off from plausible access to promotions as punishment for the existence of this movement. In fact, one wealth adviser interviewed went as far as to claim that simply hiring women is "an unknown risk" that should be embarked upon minimally in the future.

The problem with these new policies of imposed isolation for women?

I think this consequence is intentional. It's collective punishment by powerful men for the existence of a climate wherein calling out predatory sexual behavior is now more acceptable than it has been in the past.

It also shows you that once more that, in a capitalist system, people are viewed in monetary terms, not in human terms. This is occurring because women are not being viewed as assets, but now as potential legal, or at least PR, liabilities. Were we thought of as people, then maybe the natural response would be to, you know, just don't demand that a colleague get on the desk and spread her legs for you or threaten to fire a subordinate if she doesn't have sex with you. I don't feel that these are difficult or unreasonable lifestyle changes to make. There is no need for this kind of hyperbolic, juvenile drama.

As people here know by now, I'm a proponent, and defender, of exclusive spaces for women. BUT what I'd point out here is the contrast of logic between this trend on Wall Street and say the highly popular women-only rail cars that were introduced in Tokyo, Japan back in 2000. The latter is something that was, and is, demanded by women, to which end participation is optional. Single-sex rail cars were introduced in Tokyo to protect women against pervasive groping on rail cars by predatory men and nearly 70% of women who live in Tokyo still support them because having that option makes them feel safer. Wall Street's segregation of financial workplaces by sex right now, by contrast, is occurring for the exact opposite reason: to protect predatory men from women, to which end participation is not optional and is occurring within the framework of almost exclusively male-owned institutions wherein men one-sidedly control the hiring and promotion levers. (e.g. 85% of Wall Street executives and 74% of senior financial managers are male, as are 63% of even just ordinary, low-level managers. These stats can be found in the article at the first link above.)

As the first article above also points out, this trend isn't limited to the financial sector either. It's happening more broadly across corporate America to varying degrees. During the summer, I pointed to a similar development in a space that I frequent even, gaming, wherein the internet's most prominent profession video game streamer revealed that he refuses to stream with women on the grounds that
    "If I have one conversation with one female streamer where we’re playing with one another, and even if there’s a hint of flirting, that is going to be taken and going to be put on every single video and be clickbait forever. The only way to avoid [the rumors] is to not play with them at all." He wants to shield his wife from rumors of infidelity, he explained. Problem is that the effect is the same as it is in the area of finance: female pro gamers are few and far between (too few and low-profile to have the plausible option of gaining visibility and success by only ever playing with other women) and could really use visible platforms like Ninja's, and if other prominent male streamers begin to follow his example and cut off female gamers from gaining more visibility and success in streaming, the consequences for female pro gamers could be significant. So I mean this phenomenon of powerful men shutting off women on the grounds of potential sexual rumors or claims is becoming pervasive, even existing in spaces like professional gaming.

The claim that men are losing their careers (or marriages or whatever applies) over petty things like sexual jokes made in poor taste, complimenting a woman's dress, and bull$#@! like that is exactly that: bull$#@!. And you know it. No one here can produce a single example of that happening. The claims we're talking about in connection to Me Too and such are of real sexual harassment and/or abuse: of stalking, groping, requiring sex as a condition for advancement, occasionally even rape, that sort of thing. It's not difficult to avoid those types of behaviors. That's what people should do. What corporate America should NOT do is react by childishly using the Me Too movement to justify a straightforward, unambiguous power grab by men revolving around cutting women off from the corporate latter systematically for being female.
    That is a lot of words to say to simply outline the point that regardless or the status of Left wing political trends, human nature will never change. This means people will always protect themselves from danger and BS.

BTW this is why Muslims have always keep the sexes separated. This is not some evil move by corporations to punish women. They are doing in fact what the women's movement is asking for and that is totally safe spaces to work.

Corporate America is saying simply " For sure lets do that".

Me Too Movement is really and evil terrible thing in our society.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,540x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    That is a lot of words to say to simply outline the point that regardless or the status of Left wing political trends, human nature will never change. This means people will always protect themselves from danger and BS.

BTW this is why Muslims have always keep the sexes separated. This is not some evil move by corporations to punish women. They are doing in fact what the women's movement is asking for and that is totally safe spaces to work.

Corporate America is saying simply " For sure lets do that".

Me Too Movement is really and evil terrible thing in our society.
    Segregation of the sexes is a Sunni thing more than Shiite.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Admiral Ackbar (12-09-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,480x in 15,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the whole thing is hilarious.

What did women like Polly think was going to happen, especially after what was done to Justice Kavanaugh? What is happening is not an attempt to punish or control women. It is an attempt by men to protect themselves from the kind of abuse Justice Kavanaugh and his family had to endure.

This is a self inflicted wound and I really hope Polly and those like her realize just how much they have hurt their sisters with their fanatical hatred of men.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-09-2018),ODB (12-09-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I think the whole thing is hilarious.

What did women like Polly think was going to happen, especially after what was done to Justice Kavanaugh? What is happening is not an attempt to punish or control women. It is an attempt by men to protect themselves from the kind of abuse Justice Kavanaugh and his family had to endure.

This is a self inflicted wound and I really hope Polly and those like her realize just how much they have hurt their sisters with their fanatical hatred of men.
    Even though I understand the reasons that businesses would do this and discriminate against women as a result, that does not mean that it should be excused. It seems like you might be excusing it.

Let's consider the reality that sexual harassment in the workplace has been ignored for a very long time. If you make a complaint, you are more likely to be the one that gets treated like $#@! and forced out eventually. Complaints have not been taken seriously and in some industries and/or companies it creates a culture that ends up basically enabling people. Sure, there are complaints that are not legit. Generally, they have all just been ignored unless there were significant reasons not to ignore it (publicity, lawsuits, etc.). The #Metoo movement is forcing certain industries to not be able to ignore it... and in this case, the result is that women employees seem like a liability.

The sort of ironic thing about women being seen as the libaility is that it is the people (men, also women) who do act inappropriate in the workplace who are the liability, but it is the potential recipients of that behavior who might file a complaint that are being iced out instead. It is not the person who is sexually harassed that is going to cost a company money or resources, it is the person who does the sexual harassment.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-09-2018)

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two problems that are the main cause of the backlog, and they are linked. There are not enough trained analysts/scientists that work for law enforcement because they don't get competitive salary offers in that sector of the workforce and not enough lab equipment. Law enforcement also lacks appropriate funding, which then means they can't afford the analysts/scientists and also can't afford to send evidence to a private lab.
    Law enforcement has more than enough funding, generally speaking. They just waste much of it on authoritarian horse shit.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

ODB (12-09-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,480x in 15,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I understand the reasons that businesses would do this and discriminate against women as a result, that does not mean that it should be excused. It seems like you might be excusing it.

I am not excusing it. I understand it.

Cause and effect.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-09-2018),ODB (12-09-2018)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,615x in 56,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reason I asked the question
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    How do you weed out the women who are looking for a reason to falsely claim victimhood?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I would hope that if an organization is screening for personality defects, they would be alerting for traits like dishonesty, lack of ethics, sense of entitlement etc. In either gender, you would be looking for a candidate with a strong work ethic, self-confidence, who can work well under pressure and is goal oriented.
    The reason I asked the question is because your original diatribe was only about how predatory men are the problem. You seem to be of the mind that a woman is always an innocent victim of a male suffering from “toxic masculinity”.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 12-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread