User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Are the Most Powerful People in America?

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The people are not the government. Again, you are shifting away from constitutional government to your preferred majoritarian democracy, the worst form of dictatorship.

One problem you will have to deal with is rational ignorance. The fact that most people have better things to do than keep up with the mess of current politics and would rather just be left alone.

So I see you define anarchy as chaos. I defined it as rules without rulers. You're talking right past me.
    I didn't define anarchy as chaos please re read what I said. I said riots are chaos. You said earlier that the solution was what is happening in France and OWS...……

Well we disagree for sure here. That is just the way it is. We can't all agree on everything, it is simply not possible.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,549x in 55,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I didn't define anarchy as chaos please re read what I said. I said riots are chaos. You said earlier that the solution was what is happening in France and OWS...……

Well we disagree for sure here. That is just the way it is. We can't all agree on everything, it is simply not possible.
    Yellow Vests are protesting. Where do you see riots?

So you can't address rational ignorance?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yellow Vests are protesting. Where do you see riots?

So you can't address rational ignorance?
    Explain yourself, and I will address it you were too vague.....
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,549x in 55,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Explain yourself, and I will address it you were too vague.....
    Rational ignorance, if that's what you don't understand, has to do with the following.

1 For most of us, the cost of keeping up with political issues far exceeds the reward when we get only one ineffective vote.
    2 For rent seekers, that is, businesses, the cost of lobbying to be heard over voters is put off on consumers.
    3 For politicians, well, I'll let Walter Williams explain, from Rational Ignorance: "To gain a fuller understanding, we must disabuse ourselves of our high school civics lessons where we're led to believe that when people assume political office, or receive bureaucratic appointments, they're somehow a changed person and motivated by the public interest. No such thing happens. When a person becomes a politician or bureaucrat, he's still motivated by self-interest, he's simply in a different market with different restraints. Buyers in that market seek favors and privileges from government. Politicians are suppliers of those favors and privileges - and the prices are campaign contributions and votes."

You were vague before, but your long post clarified enough what you mean.

Generally, I agree that the more the people get involved the better. We have discussed this before and I have explained the political system I would prefer: One that is local, based on subsidiarity, bottom-up. The current system is central, authoritarian and top-down.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread