User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas...

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas...

Like "Silent Sam," Hogg is being returned to campus, just a new location.

Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas after being taken down last year

A statue of a segregationist politician is returning to the University of Texas campus in Austin less than two years after it was removed.

The statue of James Hogg, the son of a Confederate general, will be relocated to another part of campus later this month, University of Texas president Gregory Fenves announced in a letter to the community Thursday.

James Hogg was governor of Texas from 1891 to 1895; while serving in that role signed the state’s first Jim Crow bill into law, according to the Dallas News.

When the statue was first removed from the south mall on campus in August of 2017, along with three statues of confederate generals, Fenves wrote that “events make it clear, now more than ever, that Confederate monuments have become symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism.”

UT spokesman J.B. Bird told the Dallas News that “there are definitely parts of [Hogg’s] history that are disturbing and there are parts worth celebrating."

Fenves said when the statue was originally removed that it was always the intention that Hogg’s statue would come back to campus, albeit in a different location.

The other three monuments, including one of Robert E. Lee, all are being housed in the school’s Dolph Briscoe Center for American History.

In the letter sent out Thursday, Fenves wrote that Hogg has a “complicated and nuanced legacy," but defended his positives, including Hogg’s advocacy for public and higher education.

“Governor Hogg and his descendants made many contributions to UT Austin and to the state. His statue has been part of the campus for more than 80 years and will continue to represent the legacy of the Hogg family in its new location,” Fenves wrote.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,618x in 14,840 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Like "Silent Sam," Hogg is being returned to campus, just a new location.

Statue of former governor returning to University of Texas after being taken down last year
    I almost get their point with some statues, including this guy. But what kids have to understand that you must judge people , in part, based upon the times they lived in and that you can throw darts at any leader. Even black and female leaders.
    It's never about the man, it's about what he accomplished and of course about what he donated. Real world 101 kids.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's like saying we should only judge Hitler based upon the time he lived in....except in that case, even at that time, Hitler was an $#@!. No, I think people should judge the actions of people, based upon the actions those people took, regardless of the time they lived in.

It's like when people say, "well, he used the n-word, but that's ok because it was a different time". No, that is not ok, because even during that time, there were decent people who knew that word was derogatory and chose not to use it, so the excuse of weak minded people being weak, won't fly.
    Last edited by Safety; 12-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    That's like saying we should only judge Hitler based upon the time he lived in....except in that case, even at that time, Hitler was an $#@!. No, I think people should judge the actions of people, based upon the actions those people took, regardless of the time they lived in.

It's like when people say, "well, he used the n-word, but that's ok because it was a different time". No, that is not ok, because even during that time, there were decent people who knew that word was derogatory and chose not to use it, so the excuse of weak minded people being weak, won't fly.

I don't think the point has anything to do with how we judge this Democrat and how he supported institutional racism, we should judge him. The point is we should not, no matter how sensitive some are, hide him from history as if he and it never existed.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the point has anything to do with how we judge this Democrat and how he supported institutional racism, we should judge him. The point is we should not, no matter how sensitive some are, hide him from history as if he and it never existed.
    No, that is exactly the point, just like you made it a point to highlight his party affiliation. The only difference is that with your point, you are being intellectually dishonest because Hogg would be 100% compatible with the GOP today than the Democratic Party. But, as usual, that is the only argument you are able to make, so I understand why you try so hard to change history.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,537x in 55,960 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I completely agree that our history should not be ignored or erased. However, I don't see anything wrong with relocating these statues. But as usual, Saftey misses the mark with his comment.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I completely agree that our history should not be ignored or erased. However, I don't see anything wrong with relocating these statues. But as usual, Saftey misses the mark with his comment.
    Evidently I did not miss the mark, it was hit so hard that I am imprinted on your mind.

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    They seem to be relocating these statues to more historical sites or museums, so it's a good move.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (12-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving a statue to a museum is not "erasing" history. If you want to see it everyday as a reminder of how the good ol days were, then take a picture.

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    No, that is exactly the point, just like you made it a point to highlight his party affiliation. The only difference is that with your point, you are being intellectually dishonest because Hogg would be 100% compatible with the GOP today than the Democratic Party. But, as usual, that is the only argument you are able to make, so I understand why you try so hard to change history.
    Nice twisting of what I said and of history to boot.

The point of preserving history is, well, simply that, to preserve it.

+ Reply to Thread