Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why some people like animals and others don't

I've been drawn to animals since I was old enough to observe them and have a hard time understanding people who say they 'hate animals'. I do realize that some people are allergic which can make it difficult to have a relationship with animals, but for those who are not, it has been my impression of such people, that they tend to be rather more self-centered and interested in perfect order than empathetic toward others. It doesn't necessarily mean that they endorse or advocate cruelty to animals, but they simply don't relate to them. I have read articles that suggest that those who are drawn to animals are more in touch with the planet and our origins as a species.

I like animals; I'm not afraid of insects or rodents, I don't hate snakes, I think animals are beautiful and while I am not silly enough to try to pet wild animals, I think that they are fascinating. Am I unusual or are those who hate animals unusual?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (12-12-2018),FindersKeepers (02-14-2019),Helena (12-13-2018),MisterVeritis (12-13-2018),ODB (12-13-2018),Peter1469 (12-13-2018),William (12-13-2018)

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ODB's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 440x in 295 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those who hate animals are mentally impaired.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ODB For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-14-2019),Helena (12-13-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,859
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    Those who hate animals are mentally impaired.
    I'm trying not to make such conclusions but I can't help but think that you may be right. Very unscientifically it seems like those who hate animals are missing something significant in their relationship with life.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-14-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard this one. I have never met a person who didnt like animals, at least in some way. For instance my father does not like to have them as pets, but he still loves them. Everyone I have ever met has liked animals. I am alergic to cats, and dogs, but I still love them. I have a bird, I am alergic to him, but I love him, and dont mind dealing with my allergies. I don't have a cat, just because of the litter box issue. But all my neighbors have cats, so I get to pet them daily. I like all animals really. I see all beings as the same, no mater they be an insect, and animal, or a human.

I feel that we all share the same emotions. We all feel fear, and joy, and comfort. There is no difference. We all share life, and we all fight to preserve our lives no matter we be a human or insect. I wont even kill an insect, I have a cup that I catch them in and release them. When you go to catch them it is plain as day, that they feel the same kind of fear, as you, and me. They will either run for their lives, or curl up and play dead.

Animals all have their own unique personalities. They are no different than us.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-13-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been bitten, clawed, kicked, whatever more times than you can imagine.

I don't fear critters, I respect them. I taught my kids to never kill things needlessly, like spiders. Mice, the cat takes care of them or he's out of a household.

I have an unusual way with animals, I go to them and they seem to kind of understand me. Dogs, cats - I had a wild squirrel climb up my leg once on a Boy Scout event, the scout master was calling me the squirrel whisperer after that.

Animals need respect and they need to respect you. Might be an alpha male thing with me but that's the mindset you need when dealing with animals. I've always said that nothing lives under my roof that I can't outrun or kick it's ass. Haven't strayed from that policy but there's responsibility there too with being an alpha male. Care, attention, domestic critters need it, they rely on you for it or they drift to their instinct and become undomesticated.

It's the peeve I have with owners and dogs, especially pit bulls, those owners just want cool, dangerous dogs, not companions, mostly. They don't want to be responsible, they just want the trailer trash bling that comes with having a pit bull.

Being the dominant apex predator on the planet I think we as that species have a responsibility for all things including critters. We are in charge and we have responsibility because we have understanding and should have compassion but you know that whole $#@! capitalism "gotta die with the most toys and biggest bank account" thing sometimes makes me wonder if we really are the apex predator given our faults.
    my junk is ugly

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-13-2018),FindersKeepers (02-14-2019),Lummy (12-13-2018),The Xl (12-13-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know it's weird I have heard of mean pitbulls all my life, but every pitbull I have ever met has been the kindest most gentlest beings.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-13-2018),FindersKeepers (02-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I have never heard this one. I have never met a person who didnt like animals, at least in some way. For instance my father does not like to have them as pets, but he still loves them. Everyone I have ever met has liked animals. I am alergic to cats, and dogs, but I still love them. I have a bird, I am alergic to him, but I love him, and dont mind dealing with my allergies. I don't have a cat, just because of the litter box issue. But all my neighbors have cats, so I get to pet them daily. I like all animals really. I see all beings as the same, no mater they be an insect, and animal, or a human.

I feel that we all share the same emotions. We all feel fear, and joy, and comfort. There is no difference. We all share life, and we all fight to preserve our lives no matter we be a human or insect. I wont even kill an insect, I have a cup that I catch them in and release them. When you go to catch them it is plain as day, that they feel the same kind of fear, as you, and me. They will either run for their lives, or curl up and play dead.

Animals all have their own unique personalities. They are no different than us.
    I'm not sure that insects are capable of emotions, but they do have the instincts to preserve their lives. Mammals in particular, do have emotions and birds can be quite intelligent. We do all share life. I won't kill spiders. I catch and release. Mosquitos, not so much, but they carry disease. I tend not to kill insects unless they are plaguing a plant that I am trying to grow.

Mahatma Gandhi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (12-13-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I've been bitten, clawed, kicked, whatever more times than you can imagine.

I don't fear critters, I respect them. I taught my kids to never kill things needlessly, like spiders. Mice, the cat takes care of them or he's out of a household.

I have an unusual way with animals, I go to them and they seem to kind of understand me. Dogs, cats - I had a wild squirrel climb up my leg once on a Boy Scout event, the scout master was calling me the squirrel whisperer after that.

Animals need respect and they need to respect you. Might be an alpha male thing with me but that's the mindset you need when dealing with animals. I've always said that nothing lives under my roof that I can't outrun or kick it's ass. Haven't strayed from that policy but there's responsibility there too with being an alpha male. Care, attention, domestic critters need it, they rely on you for it or they drift to their instinct and become undomesticated.

It's the peeve I have with owners and dogs, especially pit bulls, those owners just want cool, dangerous dogs, not companions, mostly. They don't want to be responsible, they just want the trailer trash bling that comes with having a pit bull.

Being the dominant apex predator on the planet I think we as that species have a responsibility for all things including critters. We are in charge and we have responsibility because we have understanding and should have compassion but you know that whole $#@! capitalism "gotta die with the most toys and biggest bank account" thing sometimes makes me wonder if we really are the apex predator given our faults.
    I think that the whole Pitbull thing is down to people who shouldn't own animals (and shouldn't have children) and people from the same group who deliberately breed for aggression.

Animals can feel who cares and who doesn't. Yes, as the dominant species on the planet we have a responsibility not to destroy what we didn't create. The planet is a very complex balance of plant and animal life to which we owe our existence. Arrogant ignorance will take us down as well. Mother Earth has no use for money.

Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (12-13-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I'm not sure that insects are capable of emotions, but they do have the instincts to preserve their lives. Mammals in particular, do have emotions and birds can be quite intelligent. We do all share life. I won't kill spiders. I catch and release. Mosquitos, not so much, but they carry disease. I tend not to kill insects unless they are plaguing a plant that I am trying to grow.
    Oh God, I forgot about mosquitos.... ha ha.. so true about diseases. Ok I don't hate them, but I don't want to hang with them either.....

I have had some encounters with insects that gave me pause.
    I once watched some ants. There was a chunk of Dorito on the sidewalk, and ants surrounded it, and one of the ants got on top of the Dorito, and started directing them, it was like he said heave ho, and they all lifted the Dorito at once in unison. It was pretty amazing. It made me think, there is more to these little guys than I ever knew. I had never thought they could have that kind of intelligence.

Not only that the way they seem to care for one another, and care for their dead even, as far as ants go. And, the way bees take care of the babies it is quite amazing. I really feel that they do have emotions, that are a lot like ours. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen that is my conclusion.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-13-2018)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,300x in 4,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like animals and take care of my pets, yes they are part of the family. But I was raised on a small farm and you don't get attached to farm animals because they will become meat on the table. I was one of them dad sent out to do this.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to roadmaster For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-13-2018)

+ Reply to Thread