Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,312x in 898 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Weird Question on the Firing Squad

I know this sounds morbid, and perhaps it is. But something I was wondering, especially after watching the 1974 movie "The Execution of Private Slovik" and researching the backstory to it. If the aim of a firing squad were directed at the heart, wouldn't it be more effective for say one or two members of the squad to attempt a headshot as well?
    IT'S JUST BORIS!

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO a head shot is less practical than a heart shot and too prone to a miss or off target glance off of facial or skull bone. six rounds at the heart and into a softer chest is more apt to stop the heart and inflict trauma to the lungs if the heart is missed. The shock with several rounds to the chest cavity is a more humane way to expire IMO.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This video should explain it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (12-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a psychology to executions that I think one or two members attempting a head shot would interfere with. The gore created by a close range head shot and the fact that the shooter will know exactly what he did makes the killing a little too personal.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (12-14-2018),MisterVeritis (12-14-2018),Peter1469 (12-14-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    There is a psychology to executions that I think one or two members attempting a head shot would interfere with. The gore created by a close range head shot and the fact that the shooter will know exactly what he did makes the killing a little too personal.
    ^^^ Yes.

IIRC one member of the firing squad has his rifle chambered with a blank round (before they pick-up their rifle and aim) so that each member has plausible deniability in being the one with a live round.
    Last edited by jimmyz; 12-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-14-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Yeah, this is likely a major reason.

Also, a headshot is harder to make and if you do not do it exactly right it would be entirely possible for a person to still be alive but with obvious deficits, or alive for a while until succumbing. Aiming for the heart is easier, will definitely result in a quicker death even if you do not hit it dead on (pardon the pun), and even if you totally missed you might still hit things like the aorta which would cause massive catastrophic bleeding. If you aim for the head and basically give the guy a buzzcut, he might stop moving and eventually bleed out, but it will take a while. The rifle/bullet used in the old days may not have the accuracy or power to penetrate certain parts of the skull, which is thicker in places. The power of the bullet also determines how much of an impact it has on the brain - without enough energy, it might not do enough damage.

A lot of people think a headshot always means death, but it can also mean vegetable. It isn't predictable with the brain. If you narrowed it down to one specific area (brain stem is probably best), it would make the shot even harder.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Yeah, this is likely a major reason.

Also, a headshot is harder to make and if you do not do it exactly right it would be entirely possible for a person to still be alive but with obvious deficits, or alive for a while until succumbing. Aiming for the heart is easier, will definitely result in a quicker death even if you do not hit it dead on (pardon the pun), and even if you totally missed you might still hit things like the aorta which would cause massive catastrophic bleeding. If you aim for the head and basically give the guy a buzzcut, he might stop moving and eventually bleed out, but it will take a while. The rifle/bullet used in the old days may not have the accuracy or power to penetrate certain parts of the skull, which is thicker in places. The power of the bullet also determines how much of an impact it has on the brain - without enough energy, it might not do enough damage.

A lot of people think a headshot always means death, but it can also mean vegetable. It isn't predictable with the brain. If you narrowed it down to one specific area (brain stem is probably best), it would make the shot even harder.
    I am offended Adelaide lifted my post # 2, re-worded it and made it hers.

Rule 69: You may not use a members post to formulate one and imply original though.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    North Korea does it right, death by artillery shell.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread made me think of Breaker Morant which I only saw a small but relevant part of.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    I am offended Adelaide lifted my post # 2, re-worded it and made it hers.

Rule 69: You may not use a members post to formulate one and imply original though.
    Pft.

I think mine offered more medical information. The nice thing about center mass is that it bleeds fast and furious. That will kill you quicker than a lung injury, by the way. A hit to the aorta would cause death "immediately" in 90% of traumatic cases. The rest might make it to a modern emergency room but they die also.

+ Reply to Thread