Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,150x in 2,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I lived part time in Mexico for a number of years. I still visit there often. I've never had any negative experience, but I also don't temp fate and go to sketchy places and do things I know I should not do. It's not difficult or an inconvenience to avoid trouble.
    I agree I would say that 75% of the country is no problem, but the fact is that more Americans are killed there. Only been there a couple times and that was years ago before the drug trade took over so much of the place.
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,629x in 56,017 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    I agree I would say that 75% of the country is no problem, but the fact is that more Americans are killed there. Only been there a couple times and that was years ago before the drug trade took over so much of the place.
    Mexico is basically a country of disorder right on our border. Many Americans seem to believe they can visit and are allowed to be stupid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Cannons Front (12-17-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Mexico is basically a country of disorder right on our border. Many Americans seem to believe they can visit and are allowed to be stupid.
    That's sort of true of most places. People lack awareness or don't do the research about what is safe or not safe when they travel. A lot of people don't even know about the State Department advisories (or the Canadian equivalent, for Canadians). Add some alcohol...

A lot of deaths could probably be prevented if people just paid attention to warnings, visited a few websites on how to not be killed abroad, and exercised common sense. I went to Jamaica during the period they were basically under martial law due to gang violence but the country didn't want to lose tourism so they put extra security at the resorts and military security check points going into and out of certain parishes. Advisories said to not leave your resort without a tour guide or group, so we didn't. And wah-la - we were not murdered.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    That's sort of true of most places. People lack awareness or don't do the research about what is safe or not safe when they travel. A lot of people don't even know about the State Department advisories (or the Canadian equivalent, for Canadians). Add some alcohol...

A lot of deaths could probably be prevented if people just paid attention to warnings, visited a few websites on how to not be killed abroad, and exercised common sense. I went to Jamaica during the period they were basically under martial law due to gang violence but the country didn't want to lose tourism so they put extra security at the resorts and military security check points going into and out of certain parishes. Advisories said to not leave your resort without a tour guide or group, so we didn't. And wah-la - we were not murdered.
    Many people go to Mexico and think they can act as stupidly as they want with no accountability.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    That's sort of true of most places...
    Its not true of most places. People don't go on tourist adventures to European nations and act like a complete Jack-wad. When you have basically a third world country on the border of the most developed nation in the world, some people visit there and think there is no accountability for their actions.

+ Reply to Thread