The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many things that $#@!ize the terms science and truth that exist because people in the science industry are payed off by the state or other businesses to push a narrative as fact in the name of science.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (12-18-2018)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,070x in 787 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Hockey stick, confirmed. You're a comedian.
    For an "anarchist", you're certainly a reliable parrot of nearly every right-wing-extremist conspiracy cult propaganda point. Anyways, here's a quick overview of some of the many hockey sticks.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/bro...ckey-stick.htm

Good grief. But that's not what the thread is about but more about the politicization of the hockey stick and the effects of that.
    So, the normal pattern. You start your trolling thread, I show up with some common sense, your thread is no longer a conservative echo chamber, and you're suddenly not so keen on discussing your own thread topic. Eventually, you'll call me a troll as an excuse to evade further discussion.

Me, I'd prefer to now do what you hate most, which is get back on topic.

What's your beef with tax subsidies here, since it's SOP for government to use tax subsidies/penalties to encourage beneficial behavior and discourage harmful behavior? If that general policy is what offends you, you should be attacking that general policy, and not its use here.

I don't think it's debatable that increased green energy is beneficial. The fossil fuel will run out someday, and it we simply wait for the last moment to do something about it, the world will be left shivering in the dark. Infrastructures take decades to build up, so they have to be started now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mamooth For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-19-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,575x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    For an "anarchist", you're certainly a reliable parrot of nearly every right-wing-extremist conspiracy cult propaganda point. Anyways, here's a quick overview of some of the many hockey sticks.

So, the normal pattern. You start your trolling thread, I show up with some common sense, your thread is no longer a conservative echo chamber, and you're suddenly not so keen on discussing your own thread topic. Eventually, you'll call me a troll as an excuse to evade further discussion.

What's your beef with tax subsidies here, since it's SOP for government to use tax subsidies/penalties to encourage beneficial behavior and discourage harmful behavior? If that general policy is what offends you, you should be attacking that general policy, and not its use here.

I don't think it's debatable that increased green energy is beneficial. The fossil fuel will run out someday, and it we simply wait for the last moment to do something about it, the world will be left shivering in the dark. Infrastructures take decades to build up, so they have to be started now.
    Green energy is on track to supply the earth with 80% of our energy needs by 2100. Relax- green energy is coming along just fine.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,902x in 54,719 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Troll.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-19-2018),stjames1_53 (12-19-2018)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it has an effect. The bribe money flows in massive quantities to the Republican party, on the condition that they oppose action. Follow the money.

None of that money goes to bribe climate scientists, so the actual science is unaffected by money. Scientists don't get paid to produce a certain result. They get paid the same no matter what. Scientists don't get additional money in their pocket if they get a grant. They have no monetary motivation to fix the results. I mean, the denier side tries to bribe them to lie, but they refuse those bribes, giving them even more credibility.

As far as tax breaks and studies go, it's the job of good government to prevent environmental catastrophe and plan for the far future, given that the free market fails so badly at such things.
    How old is the planet and how long has man been around? This planet will be here long after man has gone the way of the dinosaur. It will do what it will do, with or without Man around.
    Of course, what you are demanding we accept is that Man is immortal...........only a fool believes that. How are you going to stop the planet from changing? Tax people out of existence? Hang on for a couple more hundred years. A meteor will fix that..............
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You're good at making $#@! up--and some even thank you for that--birds of a feather.

The hockey schtick from your link:

]

Easiest way to debunk Mann's hockey schtick is use one of your recent posts:

What would you like? For example, Hansen's 1988 models were very good. The model ensemble cited by the IPCC was very good.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...-observations/

There was no pause, just a slight slowdown in the rate of warming.

Where's the hockey sctick?

You prove yourself wrong.

And both of your graphs show the warming hiatus.

And now can we get back to the topic of how money affects the science?
    Last edited by Chris; 12-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-20-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Wow. Did you really just try to compare graphs with wildly different time scales? You actually did.

Even middle-schoolers wouldn't pooch it that hard. But then, they haven't been spoon fed nonsense from conspiracy blogs. You shouldn't be annoying the grownups by trying to discuss topics you don't understand.
    And now can we get back to the topic of how money affects the science?
    I tried discussing that, by pointing out how the denier side pretty much runs entirely on bribe money, while the rational side rejects the bribe money. You really don't want to talk about it.

Take away the corrupting money, and your denier position would cease to exist, while the real science would keep humming along.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    How old is the planet and how long has man been around? This planet will be here long after man has gone the way of the dinosaur. It will do what it will do, with or without Man around.
    That's the "Climate change used to always be natural, so humans can't change climate!" argument.

It's every bit as stupid as saying "Forest fires used to always be natural, so humans can't cause forest fires!".

That inability to recognize bad logic is one reason why deniers were so easily hoodwinked by their conspiracy cult. People who can use logic properly instantly spotted the denier scam.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow. Did you really just try to compare graphs with wildly different time scales? You actually did.

Even middle-schoolers wouldn't pooch it that hard. But then, they haven't been spoon fed nonsense from conspiracy blogs. You shouldn't be annoying the grownups by trying to discuss topics you don't understand.

I tried discussing that, by pointing out how the denier side pretty much runs entirely on bribe money, while the rational side rejects the bribe money. You really don't want to talk about it.

Take away the corrupting money, and your denier position would cease to exist, while the real science would keep humming along.

+ Reply to Thread