Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright Big Event Coming 2019 01 01

For the First Time in More Than 20 Years, Copyrighted Works Will Enter the Public Domain
    Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...IjReUkqobOY.99

"Whose woods these are, I think I”—whoa! We can’t quote any more of Robert Frost’s “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening,” because it is still under copyright as this magazine goes to press. But come January 1, 2019, we, you, and everyone in America will be able to quote it at length on any platform.

At midnight on New Year’s Eve, all works first published in the United States in 1923 will enter the public domain.

It has been 21 years since the last mass expiration of copyright in the U.S.

This looked very interesting.

"
    That deluge of works includes not just “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening,” which appeared first in the New Republic in 1923, but hundreds of thousands of books, musical compositions, paintings, poems, photographs and films."

I wonder what new things will be created as a result.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-22-2018),Helena (12-22-2018),Peter1469 (12-22-2018),stjames1_53 (12-22-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post

..."Whose woods these are, I think I”—whoa! We can’t quote any more of Robert Frost’s “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening,” because it is still under copyright as this magazine goes to press. ...

Was that just for commercial application? Hasn't this poem has been re-printed and copied and pasted all over the internet without too much regard for copyright? How would it have been enforced or has it, with regard to non-commercial application?
    You are wrong about police.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Was that just for commercial application? Hasn't this poem has been re-printed and copied and pasted all over the internet without too much regard for copyright? How would it have been enforced or has it, with regard to non-commercial application?
    Those who violate copyright laws can get big surprises.

Hundreds of thousands of books, articles, photographs, and other works will all become public domain in less than two weeks. I am always looking for new images to use in my blogs. I use quotes in my books. This will give me more options where I do not have to seek a copyright holder's permission.

"To get new ideas, read old books."

I have committed to publishing two books in 2019. This new material may inspire me to write more.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-22-2018),Helena (12-22-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    You have to protect your copyright or you can lose it. Frost has many works with the copyright in the public domain now.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,033x in 24,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just settled a case where my clients designed this beautiful house. A couple walked through it and then had their builder go to the Medina County Building Department to get a copy of the plans. My clients hadn't copyrighted their plans and learned the hard way that they had zero protection. I was brought in to defend the defamation claim filed after my clients ran all over Medina County saying these folks "stole" their design. Which, they did but legally they could.

Copyright it folks -- $35.00
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I just settled a case where my clients designed this beautiful house. A couple walked through it and then had their builder go to the Medina County Building Department to get a copy of the plans. My clients hadn't copyrighted their plans and learned the hard way that they had zero protection. I was brought in to defend the defamation claim filed after my clients ran all over Medina County saying these folks "stole" their design. Which, they did but legally they could.

Copyright it folks -- $35.00
    Zero protection against what? Someone designing a home like theirs?

Who cares? Seriously, stop and think about that, what's the point?

This is the $#@! that just... makes me want to give up on this nation, who $#@!ing cares?

The issue here is that someone with a boatload of money is annoyed that someone else with a boat load of money one-upped them on... their $#@!ing million dollar house design?

And lawyers....

Meanwhile someone in some war torn ridden part of this god forsaken ball of mud is some poor soul lucky to have a cardboard box to live in because we're part of some $#@! design to protect our "interests" by bombing the $#@! out of their nation so these $#@!sticks can sue each other over $#@! like this?

I really hope there is a god, there will be some justice if so.
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 12-24-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    my junk is ugly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

ODB (12-24-2018)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One benefit of this event for readers is that characters and whole literary worlds that were previously set in stone and unchanging - or else vey tightly protected by a deceased author's estate - will be up for grabs and grist for new writers' imagination and storytelling.

A few years ago, due to a quirk in Canadian copyright law, the character of James Bond fell into the public domain in that country, and the result was a very uneven but entertaining volume of short stories called 'License Expired'. An acquaintance of mine sued the Arthur Conan Doyle estate in 2014 and the case went all the way to the U.S. Seventh Circuit (affirmed by the SCOTUS), where the court noted that the estate had been guilty of "extortion" (their word) for demanding payment for any use of the Sherlock Holmes character when they, in fact, had no legal basis for doing so.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (12-24-2018),MisterVeritis (12-24-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Zero protection against what? Someone designing a home like theirs?

Who cares? Seriously, stop and think about that, what's the point?

This is the $#@! that just... makes me want to give up on this nation, who $#@!ing cares?

The issue here is that someone with a boatload of money is annoyed that someone else with a boat load of money one-upped them on... their $#@!ing million dollar house design?

And lawyers....

Meanwhile someone in some war torn ridden part of this god forsaken ball of mud is some poor soul lucky to have a cardboard box to live in because we're part of some $#@! design to protect our "interests" by bombing the $#@! out of their nation so these $#@!sticks can sue each other over $#@! like this?

I really hope there is a god, there will be some justice if so.
    A social justice warrior makes a brave stand on behalf of the world. Good job Social Justice Warrior.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    A social justice warrior makes a brave stand on behalf of the world. Good job Social Justice Warrior.
    Diaper a little itchy this morning?
    my junk is ugly

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Diaper a little itchy this morning?
    Diaper? LOL.

Maybe you should crap in someone else's thread.

+ Reply to Thread