User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disabled veteran in wheel chair get locked up for screaming at walmart clerk

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    If the gentleman is suffering from anxiety issues, well let's just say some degree of PTSD, he may well lack the emotional stability to put these things into perspective. That's something that the officers should have been able to pick up on. It's not all that unusual in vets.
    You make a compelling statement there; in this case, as you mentioned, it's quite possible the gentleman is suffering from PTSD and thus unable to put things into perspective. Not sure if it can be mandated, but perhaps some training for officers might be in order if they already haven't had it.

That being said, for those who don't suffer from any type of emotional issue(s), I will stand by my position. Comply and deal with it through the legal system if you think you've been wronged.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,275
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    You make a compelling statement there; in this case, as you mentioned, it's quite possible the gentleman is suffering from PTSD and thus unable to put things into perspective. Not sure if it can be mandated, but perhaps some training for officers might be in order if they already haven't had it.

That being said, for those who don't suffer from any type of emotional issue(s), I will stand by my position. Comply and deal with it through the legal system if you think you've been wronged.
    I am of a mixed mind about this. Most of the time it's not worth the expense to go to court, so if you go, you are basically penalizing yourself financially for the principle of the thing.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cashier didn't like being yelled at for doing what she thought was her job. He asked, most likely very impolitely, for a copy of the policy. He thought they were getting it, she decides to call the cops instead. This all could have been avoided if he shrugged it off and went elsewhere to buy alcohol. But no, everyone involved decided to dig in and show their asses.
    You are wrong about police.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I am of a mixed mind about this. Most of the time it's not worth the expense to go to court, so if you go, you are basically penalizing yourself financially for the principle of the thing.
    You can always go to small claims court for walmart and at least where I live there is only a $25 filing fee; as for wrongful arrest, you can file a complaint with the DA's office which should be no charge and if they decide there was wrongdoing on behalf of the police i suspect there would be either a settlement or prosecution.

But like you say, if the person feels its not worth the expense to go to court and you feel you'd be penalizing yourself financially for the principal of the thing, then I feel they have other options to consider.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,275
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    The cashier didn't like being yelled at for doing what she thought was her job. He asked, most likely very impolitely, for a copy of the policy. He thought they were getting it, she decides to call the cops instead. This all could have been avoided if he shrugged it off and went elsewhere to buy alcohol. But no, everyone involved decided to dig in and show their asses.
    I wonder where the store manager was while all of this was transpiring?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread