User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled veteran in wheel chair get locked up for screaming at walmart clerk

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,300x in 4,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disabled veteran in wheel chair get locked up for screaming at walmart clerk

I showed this one to my daughter around 3 days ago. Wanted her reaction. Background, the guy is paralyzed in one leg, they went shopping at Walmart, his wife and two young children. There was beer in his buggy when they reached the counter. Most likely his wife put the beer on the counter getting the groceries out of the buggy. The cashier asked for her ID. He says it's for him, and that is where the argument went. She wasn't going to settle for just his ID. If he had ever worked in any store he would have know the person who puts the item on the counter is the one they want. Or another example if I were in a store and turned around to a young man and said "what type of cigs do you want" they won't be happy with my ID, they will want his too. My conclusion was he was wrong but he was leaving without the beer, so I think also the cops were wrong.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this a few days ago, too. They were all in the wrong, in my estimation.
    You are wrong about police.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-06-2019),roadmaster (01-05-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was cool seeing one disabled guy give them hell.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,868
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    I showed this one to my daughter around 3 days ago. Wanted her reaction. Background, the guy is paralyzed in one leg, they went shopping at Walmart, his wife and two young children. There was beer in his buggy when they reached the counter. Most likely his wife put the beer on the counter getting the groceries out of the buggy. The cashier asked for her ID. He says it's for him, and that is where the argument went. She wasn't going to settle for just his ID. If he had ever worked in any store he would have know the person who puts the item on the counter is the one they want. Or another example if I were in a store and turned around to a young man and said "what type of cigs do you want" they won't be happy with my ID, they will want his too. My conclusion was he was wrong but he was leaving without the beer, so I think also the cops were wrong.

That policy sounds a bit weird. What if one of his kids was unloading the basket? The man was clearly disabled. If proof of age was needed and he was purchasing the alcohol, then only his ID should be relevant but it doesn't sound as if the store wanted his ID at all.

The officers' rough treatment of him may have caused complications to his existing injury, for which they would certainly be liable. There was no reason to subject him to such abuse for such a trivial incident. At the end of the day, they just created another person who will always distrust and feel animus toward the police along with many others who watched the video.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-06-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Police were actually far more patient than they needed to be. The guy was being an ass and brought the incident on himself.

They were polite. They were professional. I don't think there were any procedural violations on their part.

It is in fact Walmart policy that if someone is purchasing alcohol and has another person with him who appears to be under the age of 40, the other person is also required to show ID. I actually saw a similar incident a few days ago in which a guy was buying alcohol and the clerk asked for both his ID and that of his wife. When the guy asked why, it was explained to him that it was the corporate policy. Fortunately the guy did not get belligerent like this clown and the whole thing was resolved in about 30 seconds.

If Oklahoma has a "must identify" statute, and it appears they do, the guy violated the law and did in fact obstruct the officers in the performance of their duty.

It was all his fault. No sympathy.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,579x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That policy sounds a bit weird. What if one of his kids was unloading the basket? The man was clearly disabled. If proof of age was needed and he was purchasing the alcohol, then only his ID should be relevant but it doesn't sound as if the store wanted his ID at all.
    Most check out clerks are average IQ at best. We can't expect them to get into weighing the check list that they are given with the policy reasons behind the laws. Their checklist says to check the ID of the apparent consumer of the restricted item. Asking them to go beyond that analysis is perhaps asking too much.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The Police were actually far more patient than they needed to be. The guy was being an ass and brought the incident on himself.

They were polite. They were professional. I don't think there were any procedural violations on their part.

It is in fact Walmart policy that if someone is purchasing alcohol and has another person with him who appears to be under the age of 40, the other person is also required to show ID. I actually saw a similar incident a few days ago in which a guy was buying alcohol and the clerk asked for both his ID and that of his wife. When the guy asked why, it was explained to him that it was the corporate policy. Fortunately the guy did not get belligerent like this clown and the whole thing was resolved in about 30 seconds.

If Oklahoma has a "must identify" statute, and it appears they do, the guy violated the law and did in fact obstruct the officers in the performance of their duty.

It was all his fault. No sympathy.
    The problem began with the employee's misapplication of Walmart's corporate policy regarding alcohol sales:

Brian Nick, director of national media relations for the chain said, "The company's ONLY policy-for booze and cigarettes- is to check the ID of the person MAKING the purchase. In the case of alcohol, policy requires that workers card BUYERS who don't look at least 40 years old." That doesn't include everyone who accompanies the purchaser.
    https://www.change.org/p/walmart-cha...-it-s-enforced

As the disabled gentlemen indicated, the only reason that he was still in the store, as he had volunteered to leave without his alcohol purchase, is that the Walmart clerk was supposed to produce a printed copy of Walmart's corporate policy, which she didn't - instead, she called the police. (Did she go to get a copy of the corporate policy and discover that she was wrong, so rather than have to apologize, called the police?)

Oklahoma is not a must identify state. In fact, it has no identification regulations one way or another. The disabled gentleman stated he was from Ohio and as he correctly indicated with regard to his own state, police can only ask for ID if the individual being asked is suspected of a crime. Therefore these officers had no legal basis to demand his ID and therefore no basis to charge him with obstruction and further subject him to brutal treatment.

It may have been simpler to accept unacceptable treatment, but the man was within his legal rights. As I have observed in many cases of late, younger ex-military personnel seem to be particularly sensitive to having their rights abrogated by the whims of police officers. Perhaps it's because they sacrificed their own peace of mind and/or their own physical health to protect such rights at the direction of their country only to find themselves being subjected to having their own rights disregarded when they return home.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy should have complied with the police regardless. There is a mechanism in place that he could have used to address his issue which would have resolved it one way or another.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (01-06-2019),Peter1469 (01-06-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Most check out clerks are average IQ at best. We can't expect them to get into weighing the check list that they are given with the policy reasons behind the laws. Their checklist says to check the ID of the apparent consumer of the restricted item. Asking them to go beyond that analysis is perhaps asking too much.
    Actually, it's only the buyer's ID that they require. No doubt the corporate policy has been miscommunicated or misinterpreted during training.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    The guy should have complied with the police regardless. There is a mechanism in place that he could have used to address his issue which would have resolved it one way or another.
    That may well be, but if people always voluntarily abrogate their own rights so as not to make a fuss, they will eventually find that they don't have any.

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread