Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    I hope you remember this $#@!ry the next time you share a personal story about a health issue you have.
    Do you, too, have a government job?

If I could go find a better health outcome I would. Trish can find better job opportunities. She should. This is an opportunity to change her life trajectory for the better.

Trish appears to be competent enough to get a real job. I would not offer the same advice to you for the obvious reason.
    Last edited by MisterVeritis; 01-07-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (01-07-2019),Kalkin (01-07-2019),nathanbforrest45 (01-07-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I am not blaming any one party. My reference to the President's claims that federal workers understand and support him for shutting down the government for the wall.

As a civil servant I have the right to respond to being lumped into his claim. I do not support him in this and I would appreciate if he would not make broad statements. It's dishonest.
    Unfortunately, many civil servants long ago stopped serving.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Trish (01-07-2019)

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am not blaming any one party. My reference to the President's claims that federal workers understand and support him for shutting down the government for the wall.

As a civil servant I have the right to respond to being lumped into his claim. I do not support him in this and I would appreciate if he would not make broad statements. It's dishonest.

Ah, OK, got it. Thanks for clarifying.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Trish (01-07-2019)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I would hope nobody would attack you for sharing your story. That would be an assholish thing to do.

Did your agency provide any form letters to provide to creditors? If not PM me.

Be careful taking money out of your TSP. If you end up not paying it back on time you can get hit with heavy fees. Also that money is not growing (or not as the case may be) with the market.

You may be able to get a sizable loan from one of your banks that you have an account or credit card with. The interest will be fairly high, but as soon as you get paid, you can pay the loan back.

One question that I have with applying for unemployment is the tax issue: you will pay taxes on your unemployment benefits. You will have to pay your unemployment benefits back with your salary when you get it. So will you be taxed twice? Or when you pay back the unemployment will it not include the taxes you paid on it?
    Yes, the letters were distributed to me and my staff. I've elected not to have taxes taken out of my unemployment benefits so that I don't get hit twice on taxes when the furlough is lifted. I'll simply pay back in full the amount received.

I'm not touching my tsp. I've always pretending it didn't exist to avoid the temptation. I think I'll stay the course and not look to it as a temporary bailout.

Thank you for your offer. I have a back up plan (my parents) and will humiliate myself when the time comes. lol
    Last edited by Trish; 01-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-07-2019)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,517x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm worried about sharing my story because it reveals some things in my life that are personal but I want others to know that there are struggles people are facing through unexpected life situations. I hope I'm not judged to harshly for sharing some of how I've been impacted.

I had never filed for unemployment, last week I did. It was the most crushing thing I have had to do. I am independent and proud. I always pay my bills and I’ve never asked or needed handouts.

The house that I fell in love with and was going to make an offer on didn’t happen. The sellers were devastated. They are an older couple who have lived in that house for over 40 years. The husband was a retired fireman which I really connected with because my grandfather was a DC fireman too. They had raised their family in that house and I could feel the pride and love they had poured into it.

This will delay their move to warmer climates. I hope they find a buyer while simultaneously I’ll be sad if they do.
    I owe less than $2k on my car with only 4 payments remaining. Friday, I had to contact the financial department and request a deferment due to the furlough. They were very gracious and agreed. Of course, the loan had 0% finance, so they really aren’t losing anything, but I was still relieved that they were willing to work with me.

I took out a personal loan through my credit union last year to address a health issue. I contacted them about deferring my January payments. They were happy to accommodate me for a $35 fee applied to both payments. I was shocked and told them that I was disappointed they were using the furlough to make money. They quickly rescinded the fees.

My savings took a hit when I was faced with rehab and housing costs for one of my sons. I take care of my own problems and I’ve never applied for federal resources to offset those expenses. I’ve always thought federal resources should help those less fortunate than me. Now I have no resources to help him right now and I worry for his life. Generally, I would have a cushion, but the opioids epidemic has hit my family hard and has basically cleaned me out.

I’ve always been smart not to accumulate credit card debt but I’m worried that I may have to fall back on my credit cards to survive this furlough. I may have to ask my parents for a loan. I’ve only had to ask them for help on one other occasion and I was much younger, it was one of the most embarrassing times in my life. Now I’m in a situation where I may have to ask them for help again and I feel like a failure. They don’t know that my savings has been depleted from helping my son. It’s something I’ve never discussed with them because I wanted to handle it on my own and I didn’t want them to worry for me or my son.

I guess I could pull money from my TSP savings, but I don’t want to take any money out of my retirement accounts.
    I’m required to perform some activities for work without pay as an excepted employee and I do them without complaint because it’s who I am as a civil servant. My country comes first.

I do NOT support this President’s shut down as he claimed in a press conference yesterday. He is delusional if he thinks federal workers should carry the burden of these negotiations.

I need to be paid for the work I am performing during this furlough and I need to get back to work so that I can meet my financial obligations and responsibilities that I have to others. Creditors are not going to give me a pass because of a wall. Retailers and manufacturers who depend on federal workers to buy from them are not going to understand why they are not making profits because of a wall. Contractors and small businesses that the federal government does business with will also suffer from losing business or having current work performance stopped because of a wall. Senior Citizens that need social resources will not understand why they are not receiving the care or assistance because of a wall. These are just some examples of how everyday citizens and businesses are going to be impacted by this shutdown.

My story isn’t unique. I am just one of many that are impacted by the furlough. I’m a real person who has always done the right thing financially and personally. I’ve never used social resources, but I may have to use them now because my livelihood has been cut off. This is heartbreaking and I’m angry to be forced into this situation.

I do feel badly for you but understand that there are risk in all of out lines of work that are beyond our control. Shutdowns being one of those for you. I am really sorry about the house and most importantly hope your son is doing well.
    But another way to look at it is that if filing one temporary unemployment claim is the most crushing thing you have ever had to do your life is going OK!

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Kalkin's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,788x in 2,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm worried about sharing my story because it reveals some things in my life that are personal but I want others to know that there are struggles people are facing through unexpected life situations. I hope I'm not judged to harshly for sharing some of how I've been impacted.

I had never filed for unemployment, last week I did. It was the most crushing thing I have had to do. I am independent and proud. I always pay my bills and I’ve never asked or needed handouts.

The house that I fell in love with and was going to make an offer on didn’t happen. The sellers were devastated. They are an older couple who have lived in that house for over 40 years. The husband was a retired fireman which I really connected with because my grandfather was a DC fireman too. They had raised their family in that house and I could feel the pride and love they had poured into it.

This will delay their move to warmer climates. I hope they find a buyer while simultaneously I’ll be sad if they do.
    I owe less than $2k on my car with only 4 payments remaining. Friday, I had to contact the financial department and request a deferment due to the furlough. They were very gracious and agreed. Of course, the loan had 0% finance, so they really aren’t losing anything, but I was still relieved that they were willing to work with me.

I took out a personal loan through my credit union last year to address a health issue. I contacted them about deferring my January payments. They were happy to accommodate me for a $35 fee applied to both payments. I was shocked and told them that I was disappointed they were using the furlough to make money. They quickly rescinded the fees.

My savings took a hit when I was faced with rehab and housing costs for one of my sons. I take care of my own problems and I’ve never applied for federal resources to offset those expenses. I’ve always thought federal resources should help those less fortunate than me. Now I have no resources to help him right now and I worry for his life. Generally, I would have a cushion, but the opioids epidemic has hit my family hard and has basically cleaned me out.

I’ve always been smart not to accumulate credit card debt but I’m worried that I may have to fall back on my credit cards to survive this furlough. I may have to ask my parents for a loan. I’ve only had to ask them for help on one other occasion and I was much younger, it was one of the most embarrassing times in my life. Now I’m in a situation where I may have to ask them for help again and I feel like a failure. They don’t know that my savings has been depleted from helping my son. It’s something I’ve never discussed with them because I wanted to handle it on my own and I didn’t want them to worry for me or my son.

I guess I could pull money from my TSP savings, but I don’t want to take any money out of my retirement accounts.
    I’m required to perform some activities for work without pay as an excepted employee and I do them without complaint because it’s who I am as a civil servant. My country comes first.

I do NOT support this President’s shut down as he claimed in a press conference yesterday. He is delusional if he thinks federal workers should carry the burden of these negotiations.

I need to be paid for the work I am performing during this furlough and I need to get back to work so that I can meet my financial obligations and responsibilities that I have to others. Creditors are not going to give me a pass because of a wall. Retailers and manufacturers who depend on federal workers to buy from them are not going to understand why they are not making profits because of a wall. Contractors and small businesses that the federal government does business with will also suffer from losing business or having current work performance stopped because of a wall. Senior Citizens that need social resources will not understand why they are not receiving the care or assistance because of a wall. These are just some examples of how everyday citizens and businesses are going to be impacted by this shutdown.

My story isn’t unique. I am just one of many that are impacted by the furlough. I’m a real person who has always done the right thing financially and personally. I’ve never used social resources, but I may have to use them now because my livelihood has been cut off. This is heartbreaking and I’m angry to be forced into this situation.
    What do you expect when working for an employer with the highest debt in human history? Smooth sailing?
    If you don't want your income to be at the mercy of incompetent bureaucrats, don't work for incompetent bureaucrats.
    That being said, I hope things turn out well for you. There are positive lessons to be learned from trying situations.
    "An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time.
    One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition
    across a period of many years if he is
    to have a chance of succeeding"

~RZ67~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalkin For This Useful Post:

Trish (01-07-2019)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I do feel badly for you but understand that there are risk in all of out lines of work that are beyond our control. Shutdowns being one of those for you. I am really sorry about the house and most importantly hope your son is doing well.
    But another way to look at it is that if filing one temporary unemployment claim is the most crushing thing you have ever had to do your life is going OK!
    True dat. hahahahaha

but that was only in relation to my job. There are things far more difficult that I've had to face but I chose not to share those as they are not relevant to this situation.

You did make me smile and your words are a good reminder.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,579x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Where do unemployment benefits have to be paid back?

Trish, I hope this ends soon.
    It is based on state law. But for DC, Maryland,and VA, federal employees who file for unemployment and are later paid retroactively, they have to pay the money back to the office that paid them. I can get links for more information if anyone cares.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Trish (01-07-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,579x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones who have it worse are the federal contractors. They will not get retroactive pay like the federal employees most likely will. I know of some contractors who are giving employees part of their pay, but that can't last for long.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    It is based on state law. But for DC, Maryland,and VA, federal employees who file for unemployment and are later paid retroactively, they have to pay the money back to the office that paid them. I can get links for more information if anyone cares.
    Well, yes., if they get their pay. I wasn't thinking of that.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

+ Reply to Thread