User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: How fussy are you?

  1. #81

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 297,631, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    328118
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    52,617
    Points
    297,631
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,057
    Thanked 7,320x in 4,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Try a mirepoix of celery, carrot, onion plus a few slices of bacon all finely chopped. You can also add garlic if you wish. I don't add tomato - I find the flavor really rich without it, however, there are so many ways to make lentil soup. I just saw a recipe that uses both coconut milk and tomato with red lentils. It looks fantastic. See picture below:

    Attachment 25010

    2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 2½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
    1 tablespoon medium curry powder (such as S&B)

    ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    ¾ cup red lentils

    1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    ½ cup finely chopped cilantro, plus leaves with tender stems for serving
    Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cu...d-coconut-soup

    This is how I like my lentil soup to look, no tomatoes, Italian lentil soup mostly all recipes have tomato in it, I like thick lentil soup with onion carrots and scarole comes out brownish.

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (01-10-2019)

  3. #82

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 60,336, Level: 59
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    166992
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    15,126
    Points
    60,336
    Level
    59
    Thanks Given
    5,519
    Thanked 12,254x in 7,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Try a mirepoix of celery, carrot, onion plus a few slices of bacon all finely chopped. You can also add garlic if you wish. I don't add tomato - I find the flavor really rich without it, however, there are so many ways to make lentil soup. I just saw a recipe that uses both coconut milk and tomato with red lentils. It looks fantastic. See picture below:

    Attachment 25010

    2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 2½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
    1 tablespoon medium curry powder (such as S&B)

    ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    ¾ cup red lentils

    1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    ½ cup finely chopped cilantro, plus leaves with tender stems for serving
    Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cu...d-coconut-soup
    Looks excellent.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (01-10-2019)

  5. #83
    Original Ranter
    Points: 495,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    419905
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    150,406
    Points
    495,585
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    87,157
    Thanked 70,880x in 48,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    2184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't listed things that I don't like yet.

    I don't really like fish other than white fishes. Although once I did have salmon that was very good.

    I really don't like cow kidney. I was in Germany once waiting for a train. Went into a very nice German restaurant - I can read some German (and French, Italian and Spanish) - enough to know what is beef, lamb, chicken, pork, or horse (they eat horse in France). But I don't know enough to always know specifics. So I ordered the beef whatever. It was kidney. Most nasty thing that I ever had. It had a pungent taste to it that I can only describe as uric acid. I could only choke down about half of it, with lots of dark German beer to chase it down.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (01-10-2019)

  7. #84
    Original Ranter
    Points: 495,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    419905
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    150,406
    Points
    495,585
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    87,157
    Thanked 70,880x in 48,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    2184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    This is how I like my lentil soup to look, no tomatoes, Italian lentil soup mostly all recipes have tomato in it, I like thick lentil soup with onion carrots and scarole comes out brownish.

    That looks good. I too don't put tomatoes in my lentil soup.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  8. #85
    Points: 105,282, Level: 79
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,668
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79413
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    35,538
    Points
    105,282
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    5,292
    Thanked 11,378x in 8,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I haven't listed things that I don't like yet.

    I don't really like fish other than white fishes. Although once I did have salmon that was very good.

    I really don't like cow kidney. I was in Germany once waiting for a train. Went into a very nice German restaurant - I can read some German (and French, Italian and Spanish) - enough to know what is beef, lamb, chicken, pork, or horse (they eat horse in France). But I don't know enough to always know specifics. So I ordered the beef whatever. It was kidney. Most nasty thing that I ever had. It had a pungent taste to it that I can only describe as uric acid. I could only choke down about half of it, with lots of dark German beer to chase it down.

    When I was young and drunk my girlfriend's redneck uncle fed us something he claimed was cow brain. It was OK, but then again is there anything a drunk 19 year old won't eat? LOL I never believed that it was actually cow brains through.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (01-10-2019),Peter1469 (01-10-2019)

  10. #86
    Original Ranter
    Points: 495,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    419905
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    150,406
    Points
    495,585
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    87,157
    Thanked 70,880x in 48,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    2184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    When I was young and drunk my girlfriend's redneck uncle fed us something he claimed was cow brain. It was OK, but then again is there anything a drunk 19 year old won't eat? LOL I never believed that it was actually cow brains through.
    What did it look like? Assuming it wasn't diced up there is no mistaking it. I have seen people eat sheep's brain. I have not. There is a French Bistro across the street from Ford's Theater that serves it. They also serve escargot. I get that every-time that I go there.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  11. #87
    Points: 105,282, Level: 79
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,668
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79413
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    35,538
    Points
    105,282
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    5,292
    Thanked 11,378x in 8,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    What did it look like? Assuming it wasn't diced up there is no mistaking it. I have seen people eat sheep's brain. I have not. There is a French Bistro across the street from Ford's Theater that serves it. They also serve escargot. I get that every-time that I go there.
    Well it was a long time ago but it didn't look like anything familiar. But if this guy served me and my honey cow brains it would have been from his own cow he'd had to put down. LOL. If I remember right it was sliced and in one piece but without a hard consistency.
    BTW, you have now made me hungry for dead snail! That $#@! is good! I'm guessing that my garden snails would not be the same. But if it weren't for the prospect of parasites I'd probably try them. LOL

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (01-10-2019)

  13. #88
    Points: 117,953, Level: 83
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,697
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    860281
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    48,595
    Points
    117,953
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    2,594
    Thanked 2,540x in 1,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Well it was a long time ago but it didn't look like anything familiar. But if this guy served me and my honey cow brains it would have been from his own cow he'd had to put down. LOL. If I remember right it was sliced and in one piece but without a hard consistency.
    BTW, you have now made me hungry for dead snail! That $#@! is good! I'm guessing that my garden snails would not be the same. But if it weren't for the prospect of parasites I'd probably try them. LOL
    They could be the right variety of snail - you would have to check on what varieties live in your area. The typical kind people eat in Europe are actually common garden snails in France.
    https://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden...t-ze0z1211zsch
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/real...t-zmaz93jjztak
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #89
    Points: 105,282, Level: 79
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,668
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79413
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    35,538
    Points
    105,282
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    5,292
    Thanked 11,378x in 8,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    They could be the right variety of snail - you would have to check on what varieties live in your area. The typical kind people eat in Europe are actually common garden snails in France.
    https://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden...t-ze0z1211zsch
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/real...t-zmaz93jjztak
    Thanks. But I've watched one too many episodes of "Monsters Inside Me". LOL

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (01-10-2019)

  16. #90
    Points: 117,953, Level: 83
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,697
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    860281
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    48,595
    Points
    117,953
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    2,594
    Thanked 2,540x in 1,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Thanks. But I've watched one too many episodes of "Monsters Inside Me". LOL
    Meh, I wouldn't eat any of them.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    donttread (01-11-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO