User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does Diversity Have to Do with Science?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Oh God not another brain washng PragerU cartoon...... for the love of God will the wilks bros knock it off with the misinformation vids.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...-with-our-kids
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    It seems to me that encouraging people to take up careers in STEM is a good thing.

Prager continues to excel at building straw men for the weak-minded.

I gave a clear trigger warning.

When you get over it maybe you can comment on what Heather Mac Donald had to say.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a reason butchers leave some of the fur on whole rabbits on display

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    It is unfortunate that you don't have the openness of mind to actually view and consider the video. Prager U videos are things that would have been taught in any normal American University even 20 years ago, but are now considered to be non mainstream.
    God Bless America, God Bless Donald Trump and God Bless Prager U.
    Yah, but

"PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American non-profit organization that creates videos on various political, economic and philosophical topics from a conservative or right-wing[1] perspective. The videos are posted on YouTube and usually feature a speaker who lectures for about five minutes.[2] PragerU is not an academic institution, does not hold classes, and does not grant certifications or diplomas.[3]"

(My emphasis - From Wikipedia, under PragerU.)

They style themselves PragerU, because of course they're not a university. So they allude to the idea of university, but they're not. The best of all possible worlds, in some respects. But there's some question of whether they meet truth in advertising requirements.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    Yah, but

"PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American non-profit organization that creates videos on various political, economic and philosophical topics from a conservative or right-wing[1] perspective. The videos are posted on YouTube and usually feature a speaker who lectures for about five minutes.[2] PragerU is not an academic institution, does not hold classes, and does not grant certifications or diplomas.[3]"

They style themselves PragerU, because of course they're not a university. So they allude to the idea of university, but they're not. The best of all possible worlds, in some respects. But there's some question of whether they meet truth in advertising requirements.

And they're upfront about all that. Are we all to disqualify them because they lean conservative? No. We should listen to the speakers. And comment on the content.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (01-09-2019)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,020x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I gave a clear trigger warning.

When you get over it maybe you can comment on what Heather Mac Donald had to say.
    I did.

Perhaps you should have someone explain it to you.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    I did.

Perhaps you should have someone explain it to you.
    You said "It seems to me that encouraging people to take up careers in STEM is a good thing."

That has nothing to do with the message of Heather Mac Donald.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (01-10-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yah, but

Seriously ?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not the best, if that's what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And they're upfront about all that. Are we all to disqualify them because they lean conservative? No. We should listen to the speakers. And comment on the content.
    Prager himself is an interesting guy - but I think there are blind spots in his worldview. PragerU is advocacy from a right-wing perspective - which I can easily get from Fox News or a dozen other sites. That's my criticism of Prager's product - it's very lopsided, & only pushes for that one POV. It doesn't help that by attaching U to the product's factory, they're invoking humanist & intellectual traditions that they don't actually intend (from what I've seen) to honor, let alone forward.

Since the advent of Limbaugh & Savage & Fox & Breitbart, more-or-less-conservative media outlets are a dime a dozen in the US. It's a kind of bandwagon effect - but I don't see any worthwhile purpose to put my shoulder to his (Prager's) wheel.

As opposed to Wm. F. Buckley, Charles Krauthammer, sometimes George Will (he goes on about baseball) - it was usually a pleasure to read their articles or books; you could admire the language & the thought & work that went into their efforts, even if you disagreed with their conclusions. I don't get that from Prager's output - it strikes me as a pure selling job, going through the motions & hitting their marks on cue.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Prager himself is an interesting guy - but I think there are blind spots in his worldview. PragerU is advocacy from a right-wing perspective - which I can easily get from Fox News or a dozen other sites. That's my criticism of Prager's product - it's very lopsided, & only pushes for that one POV. It doesn't help that by attaching U to the product's factory, they're invoking humanist & intellectual traditions that they don't actually intend (from what I've seen) to honor, let alone forward.

Since the advent of Limbaugh & Savage & Fox & Breitbart, more-or-less-conservative media outlets are a dime a dozen in the US. It's a kind of bandwagon effect - but I don't see any worthwhile purpose to put my shoulder to his (Prager's) wheel.

As opposed to Wm. F. Buckley, Charles Krauthammer, sometimes George Will (he goes on about baseball) - it was usually a pleasure to read their articles or books; you could admire the language & the thought & work that went into their efforts, even if you disagreed with their conclusions. I don't get that from Prager's output - it strikes me as a pure selling job, going through the motions & hitting their marks on cue.

PragerU published videos by Prager himself along with numberous other speakers. I don't listen to Prager, especially his religious views. But I do listen to the other speakers who do preset topic with a generally conservative cultural or political view.

Prager doesn't speak here. Mac Donald does. She speaks about identity politics infiltrating the universities. Did you have comment oin that topic.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh God not another brain washng PragerU cartoon...... for the love of God will the wilks bros knock it off with the misinformation vids.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...-with-our-kids
    This is an expression of dislike of material.

However it is not a refuting argument against the source of information.

Use your intellect not your feelings.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-09-2019),Chris (01-09-2019)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL you wont convince me to watch that brain washing vid. By the time I am done watching I would be a moron. No thanks.
    You watch brainwashing videos all the time. You post them here. I can't say anything about the moron part.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread