Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,523x in 14,782 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    At most Gov't cleanup sites, I have been to several sad to say we trained at a couple, this is a huge issue that will not go away anytime soon. This is why the American people have to watch what the Gov't does.
    Just to play devils advocate, maybe the waste is in the specs to change the classification, I don't know, but personally I do not think that is the case. @Just AnotherPerson, I think you are right to be concerned and I think you should push your state Gov't to continue the fight, along with that I suggest that you push all of your states members of congress in both houses on this as well. Then of course the courts are always an option for locals, not an easy one but that is why they are there.
    The only problem I see with you post is the attempt to say Trump is doing this, while yes he is the POTUS, this process was going on for years and this kind of thing has happened the entire time as well, A great many more sights have been downgraded than cleaned up completely, and the number of sites continue to grow.
    In perspective do you think Clinton was guilty of environmental crimes when in 1995 funding for cleanups dropped significantly after taxes on the industries that create the sites expired. If so Bush Jr and Obama would also be as they did little to nothing to reinstate that. To his Credit Obama did weakly try to reinstate them in 2009 and did fund some cleanup in his stimulus but that was a trickle compared to the original funding. I will also add that it is now up to Trump to push Congress to better fund cleanup, but it is also up to every American to do the same.

Are we to believe that in yet another instance the government does not honor the rules they impose on others?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    At most Gov't cleanup sites, I have been to several sad to say we trained at a couple, this is a huge issue that will not go away anytime soon. This is why the American people have to watch what the Gov't does.
    Just to play devils advocate, maybe the waste is in the specs to change the classification, I don't know, but personally I do not think that is the case. @Just AnotherPerson, I think you are right to be concerned and I think you should push your state Gov't to continue the fight, along with that I suggest that you push all of your states members of congress in both houses on this as well. Then of course the courts are always an option for locals, not an easy one but that is why they are there.
    The only problem I see with you post is the attempt to say Trump is doing this, while yes he is the POTUS, this process was going on for years and this kind of thing has happened the entire time as well, A great many more sights have been downgraded than cleaned up completely, and the number of sites continue to grow.
    In perspective do you think Clinton was guilty of environmental crimes when in 1995 funding for cleanups dropped significantly after taxes on the industries that create the sites expired. If so Bush Jr and Obama would also be as they did little to nothing to reinstate that. To his Credit Obama did weakly try to reinstate them in 2009 and did fund some cleanup in his stimulus but that was a trickle compared to the original funding. I will also add that it is now up to Trump to push Congress to better fund cleanup, but it is also up to every American to do the same.
    As to the part about me saying Trump did all this, totally not where I was going with this. The Op is about him reclassifying the level of danger of the radioactive wastes in the ground. Yes he is trying to do that, it is true. Trump didn't create the waste problem at Hanford. I totally didn't say that at all. What I am saying is that the waste at Hanford is a serious hazardous issue. The waste is super deadly. For him to reclassify some of the most dangerous waste in the world as not so harmful, makes it so it wont get attention and cleaned up and will continue to leak into the water supply. It is serious.

What we need is more oversight. All presidents have dropped the ball when it comes to Hanford. But it is not their fault they only know what they are told. The contractors at Hanford have not been doing clean up properly for years. They are not trying to get it cleaned up they are spinning it round and round to keep the money coming in. They are constantly getting busted for making money vanish. They spend 2 billion per year in cleanup with not much progress to show. They just need someone to make sure they are not making money vanish into thin air, and are actually doing cleanup.

But trump deregulating everything falls squarely on his shoulders. I am blaming the new harm that will come from his decisions on him, not the harms of the past. But if there is even less cleanup because of his decision many people will get sick and that will be his fault. I do not agree with his lack of concern for the citizens of this nation.

And yes as sites get cleaned up they get reclassified of course. But that is not what he is doing here. It is different. He wants to reclassify without the work of cleanup. He should know at some point it will end up on his children's dinner plate. That is the way of it. Just because I mention something about Trump does not mean I am excusing every crime of everyone else in the past.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    As to the part about me saying Trump did all this, totally not where I was going with this. The Op is about him reclassifying the level of danger of the radioactive wastes in the ground. Yes he is trying to do that, it is true. Trump didn't create the waste problem at Hanford. I totally didn't say that at all. What I am saying is that the waste at Hanford is a serious hazardous issue. The waste is super deadly. For him to reclassify some of the most dangerous waste in the world as not so harmful, makes it so it wont get attention and cleaned up and will continue to leak into the water supply. It is serious.

What we need is more oversight. All presidents have dropped the ball when it comes to Hanford. But it is not their fault they only know what they are told. The contractors at Hanford have not been doing clean up properly for years. They are not trying to get it cleaned up they are spinning it round and round to keep the money coming in. They are constantly getting busted for making money vanish. They spend 2 billion per year in cleanup with not much progress to show. They just need someone to make sure they are not making money vanish into thin air, and are actually doing cleanup.

But trump deregulating everything falls squarely on his shoulders. I am blaming the new harm that will come from his decisions on him, not the harms of the past. But if there is even less cleanup because of his decision many people will get sick and that will be his fault. I do not agree with his lack of concern for the citizens of this nation.

And yes as sites get cleaned up they get reclassified of course. But that is not what he is doing here. It is different. He wants to reclassify without the work of cleanup. He should know at some point it will end up on his children's dinner plate. That is the way of it. Just because I mention something about Trump does not mean I am excusing every crime of everyone else in the past.
    I favor government oversight. It is done often in the government contract world- typically accounting oversight.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,150x in 2,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Are we to believe that in yet another instance the government does not honor the rules they impose on others?
    Never have never will
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,150x in 2,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post

Again I am on your side of the issue generally but your focus on blaming Trump is misplaced. There are many things Trump has done but he has not changed a single reg that affects the Hanford site.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-reversed.html
    https://www.bna.com/26-environmental...-n73014477330/
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-environment/

The real problem is a to big unmanageable Gov't that is a bureaucratic nightmare. Fight for less of that and you will get much more accomplished, faster, safer, better and cheaper.
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cannons Front For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-10-2019)

+ Reply to Thread