User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: There is a crisis at the border

  1. #1

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 296,834, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    328048
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    52,494
    Points
    296,834
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,020
    Thanked 7,250x in 4,548 Posts
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    There is a crisis at the border

    Washingpost has even acknowledged theres a crisis at the border.

    The truth is theres been a crisis for years at the border.

    Top White House officials were delighted last weekend when a Washington Post story, a reported piece from the paper's immigration and national security reporter, said there is "a bona fide emergency on the [U.S.-Mexico] border" and that "record numbers of migrant families are streaming into the United States, overwhelming border agents and leaving holding cells dangerously overcrowded with children."

    That is precisely the point the administration has been trying to make lately. Could anyone in the White House have said it better?


    The problem is, as much as officials from President Trump on down proclaim a "crisis" on the border, the Democrats who control the House don't believe it. Nor do the Democrats who control enough of the Senate to block the president's border barrier proposal and other initiatives.



    Now, with his address to the nation and efforts in the next few days, Trump must convince Americans that the crisis exists. The president will argue that there is a two-part crisis at the border, a humanitarian crisis and a national security crisis. If Trump can make the case, he will have a chance of winning the shutdown standoff with congressional Democrats. If he can't, he'll lose.


    To win, the administration must convince Americans that the situation at the border has changed dramatically and that the Democrats' solutions, rooted in an out-of-date understanding of the problem, will not work.

    To do that, officials will have to begin by explaining that the most frequently cited statistics about illegal border crossings simply do not tell the story of what is happening today. At a White House meeting Monday, Vice President Mike Pence and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen tried to do just that.


    Nielsen handed out a chart from the Border Patrol on border apprehensions each fiscal year since 2006. In the first year, agents caught 1,071,972 people trying to cross into the United States illegally. The next year, the number went down to 858,638. Then 705,005. After that, the numbers bounced around. There were 327,577 apprehensions in 2011, and then 479,371 in 2014. The number fell to a low of 303,916 in 2017, Trump's first year in office. It rose to 396,579 in 2018. Nielsen's chart included a dotted line which projected the number to rise dramatically to 600,000 in 2019.



    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...isis-at-border






    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (01-08-2019)

  3. #2
    Points: 9,539, Level: 23
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1332
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,710
    Points
    9,539
    Level
    23
    Thanks Given
    887
    Thanked 1,322x in 835 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the information Nancy Pelosi was not interested in hearing at the White House recently.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

    Common (01-08-2019)

  5. #3
    Points: 262,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    exotix's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    537206
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Starz Fall on Alabama !
    Posts
    44,157
    Points
    262,824
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    6,487
    Thanked 8,119x in 6,581 Posts
    Mentioned
    880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Washingpost has even acknowledged theres a crisis at the border.


    The truth is theres been a crisis for years at the border.


    Top White House officials were delighted last weekend when a Washington Post story, a reported piece from the paper's immigration and national security reporter, said there is "a bona fide emergency on the [U.S.-Mexico] border" and that "record numbers of migrant families are streaming into the United States, overwhelming border agents and leaving holding cells dangerously overcrowded with children."

    That is precisely the point the administration has been trying to make lately. Could anyone in the White House have said it better?


    The problem is, as much as officials from President Trump on down proclaim a "crisis" on the border, the Democrats who control the House don't believe it. Nor do the Democrats who control enough of the Senate to block the president's border barrier proposal and other initiatives.



    Now, with his address to the nation and efforts in the next few days, Trump must convince Americans that the crisis exists. The president will argue that there is a two-part crisis at the border, a humanitarian crisis and a national security crisis. If Trump can make the case, he will have a chance of winning the shutdown standoff with congressional Democrats. If he can't, he'll lose.


    To win, the administration must convince Americans that the situation at the border has changed dramatically and that the Democrats' solutions, rooted in an out-of-date understanding of the problem, will not work.

    To do that, officials will have to begin by explaining that the most frequently cited statistics about illegal border crossings simply do not tell the story of what is happening today. At a White House meeting Monday, Vice President Mike Pence and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen tried to do just that.


    Nielsen handed out a chart from the Border Patrol on border apprehensions each fiscal year since 2006. In the first year, agents caught 1,071,972 people trying to cross into the United States illegally. The next year, the number went down to 858,638. Then 705,005. After that, the numbers bounced around. There were 327,577 apprehensions in 2011, and then 479,371 in 2014. The number fell to a low of 303,916 in 2017, Trump's first year in office. It rose to 396,579 in 2018. Nielsen's chart included a dotted line which projected the number to rise dramatically to 600,000 in 2019.



    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...isis-at-border






    Has been since Reagan ...



    'How and Why ?' ~ Einstein

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to exotix For This Useful Post:

    Agent Zero (01-08-2019)

  7. #4
    Points: 28,708, Level: 41
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Agent Zero's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    18912
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4,881
    Points
    28,708
    Level
    41
    Thanks Given
    1,659
    Thanked 1,077x in 871 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Washingpost has even acknowledged theres a crisis at the border.

    The truth is theres been a crisis for years at the border.

    Top White House officials were delighted last weekend when a Washington Post story, a reported piece from the paper's immigration and national security reporter, said there is "a bona fide emergency on the [U.S.-Mexico] border" and that "record numbers of migrant families are streaming into the United States, overwhelming border agents and leaving holding cells dangerously overcrowded with children."

    That is precisely the point the administration has been trying to make lately. Could anyone in the White House have said it better?


    The problem is, as much as officials from President Trump on down proclaim a "crisis" on the border, the Democrats who control the House don't believe it. Nor do the Democrats who control enough of the Senate to block the president's border barrier proposal and other initiatives.



    Now, with his address to the nation and efforts in the next few days, Trump must convince Americans that the crisis exists. The president will argue that there is a two-part crisis at the border, a humanitarian crisis and a national security crisis. If Trump can make the case, he will have a chance of winning the shutdown standoff with congressional Democrats. If he can't, he'll lose.


    To win, the administration must convince Americans that the situation at the border has changed dramatically and that the Democrats' solutions, rooted in an out-of-date understanding of the problem, will not work.

    To do that, officials will have to begin by explaining that the most frequently cited statistics about illegal border crossings simply do not tell the story of what is happening today. At a White House meeting Monday, Vice President Mike Pence and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen tried to do just that.


    Nielsen handed out a chart from the Border Patrol on border apprehensions each fiscal year since 2006. In the first year, agents caught 1,071,972 people trying to cross into the United States illegally. The next year, the number went down to 858,638. Then 705,005. After that, the numbers bounced around. There were 327,577 apprehensions in 2011, and then 479,371 in 2014. The number fell to a low of 303,916 in 2017, Trump's first year in office. It rose to 396,579 in 2018. Nielsen's chart included a dotted line which projected the number to rise dramatically to 600,000 in 2019.



    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...isis-at-border






    There sure is a crisis. This is why:

    There are places that need better fences or better walls; no one denies that,” said Anthony Earl Wayne, a U.S. diplomat who served as ambassador to Mexico from 2011 to 2015. “But I don’t know how you get to that, while explaining to the public that we need to increase border security while meeting the human needs that are there.”[Trump threatens shutdown of ‘months or even years’ over border wall, says he could declare national emergency to get it built]
    Instead, the policy debate has been overshadowed by an engineering project imbued with partisan emotion, with Trump fighting for billions of dollars in taxpayer funding and threatening to invoke emergency powers to build a wall without congressional approval. After failing to reach a deal with Democratic leaders, Trump seesawed Friday between characterizing the current border crisis as a “dangerous horrible disaster” and warning that the shutdown could stretch for “months or years.”
    Oh. And Nielsen's chart?

    It's a lie.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.8139316d64d4
    How crazy alt righties got pwnd by a conervative web site:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#3b7ecb78e9b5
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;


  8. #5
    Points: 47,587, Level: 53
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,263
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7047
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,597
    Points
    47,587
    Level
    53
    Thanks Given
    2,077
    Thanked 3,189x in 2,466 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those liberals don't want their drugs and sex trafficking to stop. They don't care how many get killed, rapped, ect on both sides of the border, it's all about money.

  9. #6
    Points: 13,771, Level: 28
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3084
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    13,771
    Level
    28
    Thanks Given
    233
    Thanked 3,075x in 2,051 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    Those liberals don't want their drugs and sex trafficking to stop. They don't care how many get killed, rapped, ect on both sides of the border, it's all about money.
    They also don't care about those dying in the desert or the women getting raped trying to cross.
    The Green New Deal is the Fyre Festival of legislative proposals. Everyone spends all their money on what's promised to be an amazing destination only to get there and find yourself sleeping in a tent and selling your soul for a bottle of Evian.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

    roadmaster (01-08-2019)

  11. #7
    Points: 28,708, Level: 41
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Agent Zero's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    18912
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4,881
    Points
    28,708
    Level
    41
    Thanks Given
    1,659
    Thanked 1,077x in 871 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us libbrals dont want no rapping goin on either.
    How crazy alt righties got pwnd by a conervative web site:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#3b7ecb78e9b5
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;


  12. #8
    Points: 47,587, Level: 53
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,263
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7047
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12,597
    Points
    47,587
    Level
    53
    Thanks Given
    2,077
    Thanked 3,189x in 2,466 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    They also don't care about those dying in the desert or the women getting raped trying to cross.
    Correct and there is no use debating with them.

  13. #9

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 296,834, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    328048
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    52,494
    Points
    296,834
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,020
    Thanked 7,250x in 4,548 Posts
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    Has been since Reagan ...



    Im well aware of that and I was against it then and that has nothing to do with the crisis at the border 46 yrs later
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  14. #10
    Points: 88,333, Level: 72
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,417
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    41192
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    30,428
    Points
    88,333
    Level
    72
    Thanks Given
    5,003
    Thanked 8,195x in 6,072 Posts
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Us libbrals dont want no rapping goin on either.
    Except if it's a Supreme Court Nominee's career or reputation or Bernie Sander's chances of being nominated by the Liberal National Committee.
    People who enter the US without our permission are illegal aliens and illegal aliens should not be treated the same as people who entered the US legally

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (01-08-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO