Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we all be normal?

So I am thinking tonight about how we are all acting in this forum. Is it possible for us all to just be normal? Can we have a conversation like adults without insulting one another? I have noticed that the 10 members or less on this forum who are hard core trolls have worked so hard trolling and insulting people, that the only way for you to be able to stay here and post is to take a tougher stance. But I am not liking that tougher stance. I am finding it quite distasteful, I am talking about even my own posts.

If we argue back politely we are called whiny babies. If we get tougher and become obnoxious in order to be able to post. Then we have become just as low as the trolls. Cant we all just grow up? Could the trolls just calm down? Could we all just post like adults?

I am reading through the threads and it just seems appalling. The way that we have all ended up talking to one another. It is non productive and very distasteful. I don't know I feel like this is not who I am. I think we are all better than this. It would be nice if we could all try to be decent human beings to one another. There is no need for us to tear one another down. We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. There are a few people here who are very decent posters, like @Trish, and @Dr. Who. You are not the kind of people I am talking about here. But we all know who we are. We can all afford to grow up a little, myself included.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 01-10-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019),Kalkin (01-10-2019),midcan5 (01-10-2019),Peter1469 (01-10-2019),William (01-13-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,473x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the thing... you don't actually discuss issues. You publish long screeds and anyone who disagrees with you is automatically classified as a "troll".

That does nothing to promote the kind of civility, you keep claiming you want.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019),countryboy (01-10-2019),Kalkin (01-10-2019),Lummy (01-10-2019),MisterVeritis (01-10-2019),Tahuyaman (01-10-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Here is the thing... you don't actually discuss issues. You publish long screeds and anyone who disagrees with you is automatically classified as a "troll".

Disagreeing by using personal insults is trolling. When you argue your point with that person and they decide that they don't like your stance and they follow you from thread to thread insulting every OP you make is trolling. Your post here is a fine example you are not trying to discuss like normal, you come at it with insults right off the bat. That is what makes people have to become obnoxious in order to post.

Why should the "so called" Left have to take down the "so called" right just to earn the right to make a post without being insulted? That is what is happening. I think there is room for all of us. We can disagree without being A-holes to one another. This behavior is childish and for an adult it is unacceptable. Out of the 70 or so people who post here, there are only less than 10 to 15 people who are trolls. I have disagreed with many people and not called them trolls. But there are 10 to 15 who are disrupting this whole forum.

I think we are better than this all of us.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,539x in 55,961 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's pretty much it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Disagreeing by using personal insults is trolling. When you argue your point with that person and they decide that they don't like your stance and they follow you from thread to thread insulting every OP you make is trolling. Your post here is a fine example you are not trying to discuss like normal, you come at it with insults right off the bat. That is what makes people have to become obnoxious in order to post.
    You just proved my point. I said nothing insulting to you. I pointed out that I have never seen you actually debate a point on any subject in this forum.

You haven't. You do exactly what you did here. You accused me of insulting you and said I was trolling.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just proved my point. I said nothing insulting to you. I pointed out that I have never seen you actually debate a point on any subject in this forum.

You haven't. You do exactly what you did here. You accused me of insulting you and said I was trolling.
    The part that I said to you personally was this
    Your post here is a fine example you are not trying to discuss like normal, you come at it with insults right off the bat. You instantly came out with an insult, telling me am posting long screeds is meant to be an insult, not a compliment. If someone dislikes another members posting style, is it really necessary for them to continuously click on that persons threads, and always say stuff like this? If you don't like a persons posts it is easy, don't click on them. If you disagree with what they said, it can be argued without baiting without trolling and without insults.

trolls who insult are not looking to discuss a topic they are looking to tear down. My long screeds are investigative threads. I spend time researching topics sometimes for days. I put the information together many times that you will not find elsewhere, for those who may be interested. If a person does not want to read something long and informative they can easily bypass those threads posted by that person.

We don't need to constantly tear one another down. We are all better than this.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The part that I said to you personally was this
    Your post here is a fine example you are not trying to discuss like normal, you come at it with insults right off the bat. You instantly came out with an insult, telling me am posting long screeds is meant to be an insult, not a compliment. If someone dislikes another members posting style, is it really necessary for them to continuously click on that persons threads, and always say stuff like this? If you don't like a persons posts it is easy, don't click on them. If you disagree with what they said, it can be argued without baiting without trolling and without insults.

What I said was neither an insult nor a compliment.

screed

/skrēd/
    noun
    noun: screed; plural noun: screeds
    a long speech or piece of writing, typically one regarded as tedious.

It was an accurate description of your posting style... long and often tedious.

If you keep looking for excuses to be insulted, you will of course find them, whether they actually exist or not.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019),Lummy (01-10-2019),MisterVeritis (01-10-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From whence sprouts "normal" in your question, JAPerson? How is anyone suppose to answer that? You want some sort of schedule or what? It's annoying, as usual.

Now, whine that my response is mean, "appalling", disruptive, or whatever your flavor today. It's absurd.

Please, kind madam, more eplanation.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,312x in 4,617 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should the "so called" Left have to take down the "so called" right just to earn the right to make a post without being insulted? That is what is happening. I think there is room for all of us. We can disagree without being A-holes to one another. This behavior is childish and for an adult it is unacceptable. Out of the 70 or so people who post here, there are only less than 10 to 15 people who are trolls. I have disagreed with many people and not called them trolls. But there are 10 to 15 who are disrupting this whole forum.

I think we are better than this all of us.
    The reason why we haven't clashed is because you don't claim to be a Christian. I am hard on ones who claim this and spreading false doctrine.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refuse to conform to someone's odd standard of normal. I'd be insulted if I were the type to get insulted easily.
    You are wrong about police.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-10-2019)

+ Reply to Thread