Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Ok - where do I begin? Prager begins by oversimplifing the distinction between the left and Liberals as if they are two entirely different categories, which is false. People are not that neatly categorized. There is a spectrum between classical liberals and the far left. The rest starts to fall apart if there are no neat categories. There are people who support capitalism but don't support the notion that their nation is always right. There are people who don't believe in segregation of any kind but still acknowledge that racism exists and that some speech crosses the line into incitement to hate. Hate propaganda. There are some people that believe that capitalism is not necessarily the best way to lift people out of poverty because it requires a degree of poverty in order to sustain the model and yet are not willing to move to a communist model but will not declare that capitalism is the most perfect economic model. There is also the fact that Prager's video is propagandizing American nationalism, in that if you don't believe the old slogans, you hate America. You can't love America and care about the rest of the world. His attitude is decidedly unChristian in that the American Christian should not feel that he is a citizen of the world - not his brother's keeper beyond the borders of America. If you view America's role in the geopolitics of the last 50 years somewhat unfavorably, you are not just a thinking person with a conscience and a sense of wrong and right, but you are a leftist nut.
    I'll bite, Safety.

Your first point is valid and I said the same thing myself but your reasoning is odd. Categorization is fine. Prager's problem is that his categorization makes no historical or philosophical sense. I'm on my phone so I will just engage one additional point for now: race. It's the first example he uses. You clearly have something to say but how it applies to anything Prager said in this video isn't clear. Prager argues that race is anything but insignificant for the left and he's obviously right. Race plays a strong role in leftist discourse and leftists see many issues through the prism of race. What exactly do you find objectionable about that observation? He does imply that it's racist to acknowledge the reality and impact of race.
    That goofy insinuation is worthy of the progressives he despises. I'll grant you that but the real objection here is that he engages in the very behavior he condemns. You know, the same tit for tat stupidity that makes this forum unreadable at times. Beyond that, what's the problem? What is this about hate propaganda?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,707x in 54,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    ^

Not using ad homs
    Arguing from ignorance is a logical fallacy. Who is doing just that. It's not a criticism of her personally but her argument. So, no, not using ad homs.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didn't say that video was about economics, only that most of those posted on this forum are about economics, since no one but you posts them. I responded to the video in question. So what's your point? That I don't like PU videos and in particular those that you post? Too right. PU videos are highly partisan and rarely offer any documentary evidence to substantiate their POV. It's not worth the effort to respond to them. PU isn't a university, it's a political platform. It has no credibility as a source of information.
    Yes, you did say it was about economics. It wasn't.

And you continue to argue from ignorace, the ignorance of not having watched them, because few of PragerU videos are about economics. So you have no valid reason to make your claims.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,020x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Arguing from ignorance is a logical fallacy. Who is doing just that. It's not a criticism of her personally but her argument. So, no, not using ad homs.
    Save the bull$#@! for whoever you may find who's actually stupid enough to believe, Prager-boy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alexa For This Useful Post:

Safety (01-16-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok - where do I begin? Prager begins by oversimplifing the distinction between the left and Liberals as if they are two entirely different categories, which is false. People are not that neatly categorized. There is a spectrum between classical liberals and the far left. The rest starts to fall apart if there are no neat categories. There are people who support capitalism but don't support the notion that their nation is always right. There are people who don't believe in segregation of any kind but still acknowledge that racism exists and that some speech crosses the line into incitement to hate. Hate propaganda. There are some people that believe that capitalism is not necessarily the best way to lift people out of poverty because it requires a degree of poverty in order to sustain the model and yet are not willing to move to a communist model but will not declare that capitalism is the most perfect economic model. There is also the fact that Prager's video is propagandizing American nationalism, in that if you don't believe the old slogans, you hate America. You can't love America and care about the rest of the world. His attitude is decidedly unChristian in that the American Christian should not feel that he is a citizen of the world - not his brother's keeper beyond the borders of America. If you view America's role in the geopolitics of the last 50 years somewhat unfavorably, you are not just a thinking person with a conscience and a sense of wrong and right, but you are a leftist nut.
    Prager begins by oversimplifing the distinction between the left and Liberals as if they are two entirely different categories, which is false. People are not that neatly categorized. There is a spectrum between classical liberals and the far left. The rest starts to fall apart if there are no neat categories
    That is the only thing in your post that addresses what Prager said.

It is odd that you engage in the same oversimplification in categorizing: "There is a spectrum between classical liberals and the far left." Putting a spectrum between them does not minimize the two categories.

It is also odd in that Prager says nothing about classical liberalism or the far left. It is his assumption about liberalism, but he doesn't say it. He makes no such assumption about the left.

Then, as it your habit posting you drift off topic and into capitalism, the economics that Prager said nothing about.

His first point wasn't even categorizing but saying the left has been racist, liberalism not. Liberalism, classical liberalism, after all, came up with all men are created equal.
    Last edited by Chris; 01-16-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is buzzing around in the negative on the forum putting your opinion in the forefront for consideration. Or is it meant to snipe and roll for your own gratification?
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-17-2019)

Achievements:
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^
    Still not using ad homs.

Just ask him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexa For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (01-16-2019),Safety (01-16-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^
    Still not using ad homs.

Just ask him.

Weak response. Are you in this for laughs?
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Save the bull$#@! for whoever you may find who's actually stupid enough to believe, Prager-boy.
    Words without substance. Irritated, you try to be irritating, try to say irritating things. But like I said earlier today, you fail even at that.

Achievements:
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Weak response. Are you in this for laughs?
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm in it for the glamour, actually.

+ Reply to Thread