User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Women's Studies Must Die

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Students have a surprising amount of free will when it comes to investigating areas of study at the upper levels. Just because I was curious, I took a look at some journals last night to see what academics are talking about in relation to women's studies and yes, many articles are politically motivated but an interesting amount are not. Even some that appear to follow the "SJW" dialogue veer off into thoughts and ideas that you would not hear a "SJW" talk about.

Have you ever actually looked at articles in various journals related to women's studies or gender studies, or simply the ones that make the mainstream news? The perception of the field may be highly influenced by what is cherrypicked from academic resources. It is no different than other fields, simply more sensational perhaps because of the nature of the content being cherrypicked.

No, I've just listened to postmoderns and counter-postmoderns argue about it.

I wouldn't necessarily associate SJW and postmodern, though they are related, so I wouldn't be surprised to see ideas you wouldn't expect from SJWs. The point that counter-postmoderns make is not about the topics written about so much as the methos used and lack of reasoning behind them. We have seen our fair share of that style here on the forum, the sort of re-interpretive narrative that sees everything from a different view, a narrative that fits together, narrative that's interesting though divorced from reality and reason, trying to knock down old heirarchies only to replace them with new power structures. The arguments that, say, gender is just a social construct come to mind.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Marcus Aurelius's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 94x in 53 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Students have a surprising amount of free will when it comes to investigating areas of study at the upper levels. Just because I was curious, I took a look at some journals last night to see what academics are talking about in relation to women's studies and yes, many articles are politically motivated but an interesting amount are not. Even some that appear to follow the "SJW" dialogue veer off into thoughts and ideas that you would not hear a "SJW" talk about.

Have you ever actually looked at articles in various journals related to women's studies or gender studies, or simply the ones that make the mainstream news? The perception of the field may be highly influenced by what is cherrypicked from academic resources. It is no different than other fields, simply more sensational perhaps because of the nature of the content being cherrypicked.
    Which journals exactly? I'd like to read them myself.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    Which journals exactly? I'd like to read them myself.
    "Women's Studies", "European Journal of Women's Studies", "Gender, Work and Organization," and "Signs" were the ones I took a look at.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Marcus Aurelius (01-18-2019)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "Women's Studies", "European Journal of Women's Studies", "Gender, Work and Organization," and "Signs" were the ones I took a look at.
    This issue of European Journal of Women's Studies is heavily weighted toward gender and intersectionality politics:

Prince Charming, rolling heads and the tales of hope and despair
    Identity politics revisited: On Audre Lorde, intersectionality, and mobilizing writing styles
    Gender as a multi-layered issue in journalism: A multi-method approach to studying barriers sustaining gender inequality in Belgian newsrooms
    Wind from the North, don’t go forth? Gender equality and the rise of populist nationalism in Finland
    User-generated reality enforcement: Framing violence against black trans feminine people on a video sharing site
    Book review: Gender, Power and Political Speech: Women and Language in the 2015 UK General Election by Deborah Cameron and Sylvia Shaw

I have only access to abstracts as I'm not enrolled at university.

It's what I expected to find.

It's not what I would expect to find under the rubric "Women's Studies."
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another feminist talks about women's studies in academia. Christina Hoff Sommers is a compatriate of Camille Paglia, so trigger warning!!!

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Marcus Aurelius's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 94x in 53 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This issue of European Journal of Women's Studies is heavily weighted toward gender and intersectionality politics:

Prince Charming, rolling heads and the tales of hope and despair
    Identity politics revisited: On Audre Lorde, intersectionality, and mobilizing writing styles
    Gender as a multi-layered issue in journalism: A multi-method approach to studying barriers sustaining gender inequality in Belgian newsrooms
    Wind from the North, don’t go forth? Gender equality and the rise of populist nationalism in Finland
    User-generated reality enforcement: Framing violence against black trans feminine people on a video sharing site
    Book review: Gender, Power and Political Speech: Women and Language in the 2015 UK General Election by Deborah Cameron and Sylvia Shaw

I have only access to abstracts as I'm not enrolled at university.

It's what I expected to find.

It's not what I would expect to find under the rubric "Women's Studies."
    The Women's Studies journal online wasn't any better. Here is the link. You can only access first-page previews of the articles for free - I read half a dozen of them at random. It was a small sample, granted, but what I found was heavily steeped in Social Marxist rhetoric: class warfare, intersectionality, the nefarious patriarchy to blame for everything, oppression, oppression, oppression, etc. The whole thing is dripping with victimhood mentality. I'll keep looking though, and if I find anything out of the 3rd-wave feminist rubric, I'll report back. But I'm not optimistic.
    Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 01-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcus Aurelius For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-19-2019)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    This prof gives a succinct analysis of the ideologically-driven, non-rational approach of Women's and Gender Studies...

Another bull$#@! class parents and governments are paying for. Go to a science or math class instead girls!

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    slackercruster's Avatar Senior Member
    Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 543x in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it interests em, let em study what they like.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    MissMollyMee's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15x in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well look at it this way. We need ppl to remember the past...the rights that our ancestors fought for so we do not make the same mistake

+ Reply to Thread