Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama ruined medical care

I wanted to start this thread. I am not sure if any of you out there share my view. But I feel that our medical care is near non existent. This kind of began under Bush but it really went into full bloom under Obama. It used to be, that if you were sick and went to the Er, that they would hook you up on an IV, and run some blood tests, and really check you out. If you needed it they would give you a cat scan or xray what ever.

It is not like that anymore. Now even if you are deathly ill, they just look at you funny and send you home. They wont even do any tests. It is pretty off the hook. I have been to the Dr on many occasions and there is just no care. So under Obamas plan they say every one gets care, and it looks like that on the outside, because the dr will see you, but will he treat you is the question. What is the point of being able to go to the Dr, if they will just look at you without even checking you out, and say you are fine.

Seriously, I got sick some years ago. I lost my hearing overnight, and I was so scared, I went to the Er. They liteally said why did you come here? What did you think we could do for you? I was upset, and embarrassed. I was like well I looked online it said if you have sudden hearing loss to seek medical care. It is not just me. Everyone I know is having the same type of experiences.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...report/533634/

Also I have seen tons of stories that are telling of how more women are dying during childbirth than ever before. That used to be a thing of the past but not anymore. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/am...ing-childbirth I belive it too, because I have a step sister, and she almost died becasue of a Dr error. She had an undeveloped twin, the dr's knew about it in advance and explained to her that after she gave birth to her baby, that she would also have to deliver the undeveloped baby. The Dr's forgot to remove the other baby. She developed septicimia. She kept going back to the Er begging for help, they would just send her back home saying she was just fine. She had great medical coverage too. I went with her and made them keep her. Then they found out she was literally on the verge of death and why.
    https://jezebel.com/more-mothers-are...-th-1827889479

Not only is the medical care non existent for most of us, many are paying astronomical fees for that medical coverage, and not even receiving any real care. Like my aunt pays over 1,000 per month for her medical. She has a 10,000 dollar deductible, so she does not even get to use that medical care. I mean that is just absurd. Under Obama that was mandatory to pay for non medical care. That is one good thing that Trump did taking away the part about it being mandatory. But still he didn't work to fix the mess that our insurance is in. It is still in the same mess that Obama care made it in.

It seems to me that all we have now for medical care is the internet. We can look up natural remedies, God forbid you get really sick and find that there is no real care. Anyways I wanted to rant on this subject, because I find it to be absurd!
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...-in-childbirth

Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 01-18-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Helena (01-19-2019),Marcus Aurelius (01-19-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also want to say that Trump is further endangering our health when it comes to medical care. He deregulated the FDA or whatever that was where medicine can be passed through for human use with less testing. We already had major medical care issues this could take it even further over the edge. He is also making it so that we can get drugs from places the normally the US does not allow becaue they cant be verified as safe. So we have alot of problems when it comes to medical care, and who knows what else trump will deregulate next becaue it is good for business. I just wanted to add that to be fair. But I am serious about the Obama rant on medical care. I guess they are all ruining it in their own ways. They are all bad.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Helena (01-19-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me give you a few reasons for this, Obamacare did ALOT of things negative to healthcare. Think about it, to cover 30 million whatever the number is for FREE the money had to come from somewhere and it came from alot of sources. Medicare got shafted big time, there are so many changes to medicare I cant begin to explain them.

Hospitals before Obamacare had charity care which was subsidized by the federal govt, state govt and in some places by local taxs.

Obamacare cut the payments to hospitals so deeply that they had to find away to survive and where did it come from ? free testing and charity care.

Obamacare was pushed through by the very much an idiot Nancy Pelosi, she and obama wanted one thing and one thing only TO WIN and be able to say THEY were the ones who got universal health care, instead we got horse$#@! healthcare and the poor are no better off.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Helena (01-19-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Let me give you a few reasons for this, Obamacare did ALOT of things negative to healthcare. Think about it, to cover 30 million whatever the number is for FREE the money had to come from somewhere and it came from alot of sources. Medicare got shafted big time, there are so many changes to medicare I cant begin to explain them.

Hospitals before Obamacare had charity care which was subsidized by the federal govt, state govt and in some places by local taxs.

Obamacare cut the payments to hospitals so deeply that they had to find away to survive and where did it come from ? free testing and charity care.

Obamacare was pushed through by the very much an idiot Nancy Pelosi, she and obama wanted one thing and one thing only TO WIN and be able to say THEY were the ones who got universal health care, instead we got horse$#@! healthcare and the poor are no better off.
    Not just the poor either, even the middle class are in bad shape. I mean I have family that is middle class, and they pay a lot for their medical care and still get no care. Like the step sister I spoke of, she was on her mothers and fathers insurance. It is not just people on Medicare, or even Medicaid. I mean maybe if you are super wealthy and have some superior insurance that the rest of us don't have you can get some decent care. But the rest of us are dealing with non care. I have been noticing this trend every since Obama was president.

I think his care for all was a scam. Like now what good will Medicare for all do, if we don't really get care. The dr's have gotten so used to just sloughing patients off without even checking them out, that there almost is no point of even going to the Dr. Unless they do a system overhaul there is no point.

I am also not a fan of the Pelosi. She seems kinda like a bad guy to me.

I also will bust out my tin foil hat and say that there is even the possibility that it was done on purpose as part of population control. I remember there was a time when Bush was president and he did huge cuts to Medicaid, https://www.seattlepi.com/local/opin...al-1167632.php and Obama did it too. https://www.medpagetoday.com/publich...medicare/25905.

I mean can you imagine how many people would have died under those cuts. I remember one lady on the news who said that she was really ill I don't remember with what, and her insurance said they would not pay for her life saving surgery, but they would cover her suicide pill. I mean really, it seems like our medical industry has some real issues. I am not sure if they are all by mistake. I am not going to say that is a for sure thing. But the theory used to cross my mind here and there back in those Medicare cutting days. Not so much anymore, but I wont take it off the table.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found another article that kind of talks about what I am talking about here https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...one_on_it.html But I don't agree with what he says at the end. I don't think this is a democrat or republican issue. Like I said it was happening under Bush too. But there is an issue for sure. Trump is on course to make even more cuts. https://thinkprogress.org/trump-prom...-36a0e8a57ae0/ I am not a dem or repub so I don't really see through those eyes. I see it as a problem across all demographics. It is a real problem.

Ok I just found a crazy article it talks about how more people are dying under medicare. It is telling of how hosipitals are being fined if they readmit patients too many times even patients who have had a stroke serious things like that. No wonder the drs wont help you they don't want to get fined.https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/27/i...amacare-progra

Excerpt
    So the health law instituted a Medicare payment penalty for hospitals with too many readmissions for pneumonia, heart failure, and heart attack. Since 2012, Medicare has assessed about $2 billion in penalties on hospitals with too-high readmissions rates

Time for me to get the tinfoil hat back out of the closet and dust it off...….

Here is more on Obama cuts https://www.theatlantic.com/business...he-gop/274919/
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 01-19-2019 at 03:02 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Helena (01-19-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Helena (01-19-2019)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Marcus Aurelius's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 94x in 53 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll relate my Obamacare experience and I’ll try to keep it succinct, but it’s not a short story. When I first bought a policy on the ACA exchange, it was a so-called Silver Policy, and it was admittedly the best insurance policy I had ever had in my life, and at a very affordable cost. I thought, “Wow, great! Maybe the government is actually going to do something good for its citizenry for a change.”

The next year, however, the premium went up by 150% and the deductible went up by $500 per person. That was a bad omen, but it was still tolerable. The next year, premiums and deductibles went up again, and I began receiving letters from the insurance company detailing downgrades to my policy. The next year, more of the same, except our insurer dropped out of the exchange and we had to get a new one, which our health network did not accept. So we did not get to keep our doctor. Also, I had to cancel our dental insurance in order to keep up with the rising costs of the medical insurance premiums.

That year, my wife had major surgery (with a bunch of hospital visits for transfusions leading up to it), and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by way of several appointments with a cardiac clinic and two sleep studies. I was prescribed a CPAP machine. We are both well recovered now, so I can’t complain about our care – in fact I’m deeply grateful for everyone in the medical profession that helped us.

But then the insurance/penalty nightmare began. Our medical care was expensive, and our insurance policy (still a silver plan) didn’t do much to offset it. Fortunately, our health network is a not-for-profit outfit that offers generous financial aid. I applied for that, and we received a certain amount of aid according to our income, but I was still left with a hefty bill. I negotiated a payment plan with the hospital and our doctors, and managed to pay everything off within a year.

However, by this time, the insurance policy premium had gone up by 750%, the deductible was $5000 per person, and co-pays were $95! (If you didn’t have insurance, our clinic would charge you $50 to see a doctor, so it was actually cheaper to ask them not to file a claim for the visit.) In order to pay off our medical bills, I had to cancel our policy – there was no way around it. So I began accruing the penalties for not being insured. At the moment, I still owe the IRS $1400 for not having complete coverage throughout 2017, which I’m paying off at $200 per month, with interest and penalties attached monthly.

Once our medical bills were paid, I did get reinsured for about half a year, but that still proved to be a waste of money as the policy was essentially worthless. I canceled it yet again, and we are currently uninsured.

I generally support Trump, as much as anyone can reasonably support any fallible human leader, but I am not at all happy about the fact that if you didn’t have insurance during 2018, you still have to pay a penalty for that: 2.5% of your income. Are you all aware of that? The penalties don’t disappear until this year, 2019. So on top of the $1400 I have still to pay, I’m going to be assessed another chunk of several thousand dollars for not having insurance in 2018. There is no chance in hell I can afford any sort of health insurance while I'm paying the penalties for not having health insurance! This is Obama's legacy in my life.

Why didn’t Trump and the Republicans eliminate the penalties earlier than 2019? They’ve had several years to do it.

At any rate, I’m flushing less money down the toilet by paying the penalties than I would be paying for an exorbitant and useless insurance policy, but why do I have to flush any money down the toilet at all?

I have more to add, but this business makes me livid, and I need to calm down.
    Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 01-19-2019 at 11:16 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcus Aurelius For This Useful Post:

Helena (01-19-2019),Just AnotherPerson (01-19-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The ACA made the cost and access to healthcare poorer, the trend is sharply now shifting costs to the patient.

My youngest son is 15, I have two more sons in their 20's. I never paid a dime for their births or any of the pre and follow-up visits. Not a dime.

Today it would cost me between $5k and $10k. If it cost me that back then I might not have had children.

Quality of care is difficult to measure now, the industry is massively data driven. Everyone wants data, CMS, insurers, regulatory agencies. I spend more time in my shot drowning in data than I should be, it's become very cumbersome.

At the end of the day I don't think anyone knows exactly what quality trends are but I think they're increasing. Quality has always been good measures at the hospitals I've worked at including my current one. I think it's easy to cherry pick healthcare horror stories and with all the data out there you can almost make a case for anything but I really don't think we know exactly because of all the trees.

But, I really don't think quality of care in this nation is a big problem. The opposite actually.

Cost (of delivery and who pays) and access are the problems.
    my junk is ugly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-19-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    I generally support Trump, as much as anyone can reasonably support any fallible human leader, but I am not at all happy about the fact that if you didn’t have insurance during 2018, you still have to pay a penalty for that: 2.5% of your income. Are you all aware of that? The penalties don’t disappear until this year, 2019. So on top of the $1400 I have still to pay, I’m going to be assessed another chunk of several thousand dollars for not having insurance in 2018. There is no chance in hell I can afford any sort of health insurance while I'm paying the penalties for not having health insurance! This is Obama's legacy in my life.

Why didn’t Trump and the Republicans eliminate the penalties earlier than 2019? They’ve had several years to do it.

At any rate, I’m flushing less money down the toilet by paying the penalties than I would be paying for an exorbitant and useless insurance policy, but why do I have to flush any money down the toilet at all?
    Good question. And why have so many of his supporters forgotten about it?

I like a lot of what he ran on, but his promises were not kept and what he does accomplish is published in a very dishonest manner.

Fact is, he didn't deliver on this very important promise. His supporters didn't JUST vote for the damn wall. They voted for myriad promises and policies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...1b8_video.html
    You are wrong about police.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-19-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    I’ll relate my Obamacare experience and I’ll try to keep it succinct, but it’s not a short story. When I first bought a policy on the ACA exchange, it was a so-called Silver Policy, and it was admittedly the best insurance policy I had ever had in my life, and at a very affordable cost. I thought, “Wow, great! Maybe the government is actually going to do something good for its citizenry for a change.”

The next year, however, the premium went up by 150% and the deductible went up by $500 per person. That was a bad omen, but it was still tolerable. The next year, premiums and deductibles went up again, and I began receiving letters from the insurance company detailing downgrades to my policy. The next year, more of the same, except our insurer dropped out of the exchange and we had to get a new one, which our health network did not accept. So we did not get to keep our doctor. Also, I had to cancel our dental insurance in order to keep up with the rising costs of the medical insurance premiums.

That year, my wife had major surgery (with a bunch of hospital visits for transfusions leading up to it), and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea by way of several appointments with a cardiac clinic and two sleep studies. I was prescribed a CPAP machine. We are both well recovered now, so I can’t complain about our care – in fact I’m deeply grateful for everyone in the medical profession that helped us.

But then the insurance/penalty nightmare began. Our medical care was expensive, and our insurance policy (still a silver plan) didn’t do much to offset it. Fortunately, our health network is a not-for-profit outfit that offers generous financial aid. I applied for that, and we received a certain amount of aid according to our income, but I was still left with a hefty bill. I negotiated a payment plan with the hospital and our doctors, and managed to pay everything off within a year.

However, by this time, the insurance policy premium had gone up by 750%, the deductible was $5000 per person, and co-pays were $95! (If you didn’t have insurance, our clinic would charge you $50 to see a doctor, so it was actually cheaper to ask them not to file a claim for the visit.) In order to pay off our medical bills, I had to cancel our policy – there was no way around it. So I began accruing the penalties for not being insured. At the moment, I still owe the IRS $1400 for not having complete coverage throughout 2017, which I’m paying off at $200 per month, with interest and penalties attached monthly.

Once our medical bills were paid, I did get reinsured for about half a year, but that still proved to be a waste of money as the policy was essentially worthless. I canceled it yet again, and we are currently uninsured.

I have more to add, but this business makes me livid, and I need to calm down.
    Thank you for sharing what you did. That really sucks, it sounds like your family has been through a lot. I am so sorry that you guys are left uninsured. That is such a bad deal. I understand why you are livid. I felt that the mandatory insurance was criminal from the moment that it was implemented. The cost for the insurance for many is more than they pay for all of their bills combined. There is an extreme absurdity to it.

I thought that Trump was going to fix it. I really believed it. I may not be a Trump fan but I did think that he would do this though. I think they should get to crackin' on ending the penalties, maybe even refund those who have paid them. I feel that would be the right thing to do. Perhaps we should write to our representatives requesting this. Even if nothing happens it only takes a few minutes to contact our reps and tell them what their constituents are facing.

That being said, I am glad that you and your wife were able to get the care you needed, and that you are both doing better. There are so many of us, who don't even get that. Everyone I know has been put through the ringer in one way or another, when it comes to medical care. May you and your wife stay in good health. I have hope that things in our nation will get better. I don't know if it will, but I do have hope. Be well.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Marcus Aurelius (01-20-2019)

+ Reply to Thread