Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,466x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I think we're in a recession right now. I'm looking at these new consumer confidence numbers that just came in recently, showing a steep 7.7% drop-off just since the government shutdown began. That's very worrying because consumer confidence levels are considered predictive of consumer spending levels; consumer spending accounting for the vast majority of economic activity. To judge by the stock markets, Wall Street foolishly doesn't seem worried yet, but they also don't yet have firm numbers on the on-the-ground impact until the start of next month at least and don't know what the duration of this shutdown will be yet. I may be "going out on a limb" to say that this is the start of a recession, but the last time I predicted that we were in one (which was in December 2007 on the old Matrix Fans Network forums), I was "going out on a limb" then too and proved to be right: a subsequent report released in 2009 revealed that the Great Recession had, in fact, begun in December of 2007.

My gut tells me that we are in a recession right now because everyone knows that our economy is being driven by debt (governmental, corporate, and individual) and that 40% of Americans don't have $400 to spare in case of an emergency, and under such conditions anything that reduces the influx of additional money into circulation, such as a new round of tariffs, an increase in the Federal Reserve's interest rate, or...a government shutdown...could touch one off. Any sudden shock could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. My gut tells me this is it: this is the straw. For now, consumer confidence, which is now at the lowest level it's been since before Trump was elected, remains high compared to the worst points of the Great Recession, but it also took some time to reach the lows before, not just one month. The linked Quartz article in the first paragraph optimistically reassures us that "If the politicians in Washington, DC can manage to fully reopen the government, optimism could quickly return." The thing is that I don't see that happening, do you? This particular shutdown very much appears to be indefinite. Nobody believes that the two bills scheduled to for a vote in the Senate on Thursday will pass, so we'll definitely conclude a fifth week with a closed government, no solution, and no end in sight. The shutdown is already becoming much less "partial" and more all-out disastrous than it originally was. I think this shutdown is indefinite for at least the duration of tax season and maybe even the rest of the Trump presidency, and that, accordingly, you're going to see consumer confidence continue to drop and observe a reduction in consumer spending with it, businesses (especially those contracted by the government) start to shutter, and the unemployment rate and rates of homelessness and bankruptcy rise in accordance with all these other things. I don't see any reason for optimism in the current situation and feel that the stock market too is about to get a rude awakening when the first hard data starts to come in in a couple weeks. What do you think?

We won't know officially if this is the start of recession for most of the year, of course, given what the definition of a recession is (at least six months of negative growth), but my gut tells me that it is. What say you?
    and yet you wont actually deal with some young Congressperson's economic plans for America's future ............shame on you
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polly's gut needs emptied.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Polly's gut needs emptied.
    she gives 0 f's about AOC economic policies, just as long as she's a SJW...........
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did I know she would run from her own thread........................
    - Thucydides

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,825x in 13,706 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I think we're in a recession right now. I'm looking at these new consumer confidence numbers that just came in recently, showing a steep 7.7% drop-off just since the government shutdown began. That's very worrying because consumer confidence levels are considered predictive of consumer spending levels; consumer spending accounting for the vast majority of economic activity. To judge by the stock markets, Wall Street foolishly doesn't seem worried yet, but they also don't yet have firm numbers on the on-the-ground impact until the start of next month at least and don't know what the duration of this shutdown will be yet. I may be "going out on a limb" to say that this is the start of a recession, but the last time I predicted that we were in one (which was in December 2007 on the old Matrix Fans Network forums), I was "going out on a limb" then too and proved to be right: a subsequent report released in 2009 revealed that the Great Recession had, in fact, begun in December of 2007.

My gut tells me that we are in a recession right now because everyone knows that our economy is being driven by debt (governmental, corporate, and individual) and that 40% of Americans don't have $400 to spare in case of an emergency, and under such conditions anything that reduces the influx of additional money into circulation, such as a new round of tariffs, an increase in the Federal Reserve's interest rate, or...a government shutdown...could touch one off. Any sudden shock could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. My gut tells me this is it: this is the straw. For now, consumer confidence, which is now at the lowest level it's been since before Trump was elected, remains high compared to the worst points of the Great Recession, but it also took some time to reach the lows before, not just one month. The linked Quartz article in the first paragraph optimistically reassures us that "If the politicians in Washington, DC can manage to fully reopen the government, optimism could quickly return." The thing is that I don't see that happening, do you? This particular shutdown very much appears to be indefinite. Nobody believes that the two bills scheduled to for a vote in the Senate on Thursday will pass, so we'll definitely conclude a fifth week with a closed government, no solution, and no end in sight. The shutdown is already becoming much less "partial" and more all-out disastrous than it originally was. I think this shutdown is indefinite for at least the duration of tax season and maybe even the rest of the Trump presidency, and that, accordingly, you're going to see consumer confidence continue to drop and observe a reduction in consumer spending with it, businesses (especially those contracted by the government) start to shutter, and the unemployment rate and rates of homelessness and bankruptcy rise in accordance with all these other things. I don't see any reason for optimism in the current situation and feel that the stock market too is about to get a rude awakening when the first hard data starts to come in in a couple weeks. What do you think?

We won't know officially if this is the start of recession for most of the year, of course, given what the definition of a recession is (at least six months of negative growth), but my gut tells me that it is. What say you?
    You forgot, please please please please please please please please please please please please please.....
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    You forgot, please please please please please please please please please please please please please.....
    followed by free free free free free free free...............but neither one, Polly or AOC, will tell anyone where the money is going to come from, much less how much it will cost..........must be their stock in trade
    - Thucydides

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (01-23-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    this is a good thing if you're a globalist, isn't it?
    - Thucydides

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A global recession will most likely be triggered by China's various economic bubbles popping. China's bubbles dwarf any bubble in history.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread