Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many things we dont need

I was thinking how we have so many things that we dont really need. About three years ago I thinned my stuff out majorly. I was sick of the junk. The house can get so filled up. I mean you get so many gifts from others and they become sentimental and you dont want to get rid of them. But about three years ago I put my house up for sale and I got rid of almost everything. I kept my favorite things, just a stack of my most treasured books, and my clothes. I try not to keep or get anythign that I know I wont use.

But I was thinking on this and remembered how when i used to go camping. I would take my backpack, and my backpack size SAS survival handbook my militariy grade water purifier, my compass. The car would be filled with so much crap just for a weekend camping trip. LoL, like you need a compass to go to the campground you have been going to since you were a child, or to navigate the hiking trails that you could walk blindfolded. This made me laugh so much when I thought about it. Talk about being geared up like a navy seal just to go camping. LoL

If you stop and think about it we have so so so much stuff that we really don't need. We were hunter gatherers for so long. Now we don't have to do that, but we are still gathering.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I echo your OP. In 2011 I basically purged myself of everything but some half ass art and some things my father gave me. I even tossed out some furniture. It was so liberating that every couple of years since I throw nearly everything out and start over. I love the feeling of tossing drawers full of things, boxes etc without even looking at what it is. If I looked I'd think of some reason to keep most of it
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-31-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I echo your OP. In 2011 I basically purged myself of everything but some half ass art and some things my father gave me. I even tossed out some furniture. It was so liberating that every couple of years since I throw nearly everything out and start over. I love the feeling of tossing drawers full of things, boxes etc without even looking at what it is. If I looked I'd think of some reason to keep most of it
    Well you are way more brave than I could ever be. I could never just toss drawer without looking what is in it first. LoL I meticulously go though every little thing. Like why the hell are there marbles in this drawer and what is this key for and these coins, maybe I saved them for a special reason. It is so silly when you think about it.

About 14 years ago or so, I lived in an apartment that burned down. Yeah it was traumatizing in a way, but it was liberating also. I was freed of all of my junk and all of my attachments all at once.

This time when I liberated myself from my junk. I just thought to myself. You cant take any of this with you when you die. And, if you ever do die, this stuff only means something to you, you don't want to leave this much stuff behind for others to clean up. Get rid of it now, liberate now while you are still alive. It is actually really pleasant once you do get rid of the things. My biggest problem is being overly sentimental with things that others have given me. I still have a lot of stuff but I try to only keep just what I know that I will use or need for sure. Or if it is a decoration it has to be something I will look at often, not something that I never see in another room.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,369x in 94,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every now and then I go through my stuff and get rid of a lot. I should do that again.

JAP- I wouldn't have gotten rid of the camping gear (store it in a closet- you might need it one day although I agree you don't need it for the camping that you describe.)
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-01-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    ... Like why the hell are there marbles in this drawer...

I'll take them if you don't want them! As long as they aren't plastic.
    You are wrong about police.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking how we have so many things that we dont really need. About three years ago I thinned my stuff out majorly. I was sick of the junk. The house can get so filled up. I mean you get so many gifts from others and they become sentimental and you dont want to get rid of them. But about three years ago I put my house up for sale and I got rid of almost everything. I kept my favorite things, just a stack of my most treasured books, and my clothes. I try not to keep or get anythign that I know I wont use.

But I was thinking on this and remembered how when i used to go camping. I would take my backpack, and my backpack size SAS survival handbook my militariy grade water purifier, my compass. The car would be filled with so much crap just for a weekend camping trip. LoL, like you need a compass to go to the campground you have been going to since you were a child, or to navigate the hiking trails that you could walk blindfolded. This made me laugh so much when I thought about it. Talk about being geared up like a navy seal just to go camping. LoL

If you stop and think about it we have so so so much stuff that we really don't need. We were hunter gatherers for so long. Now we don't have to do that, but we are still gathering.
    Agreed. We're a consumerist society and have been pounded daily that only people who have a lot of stuff are happy and successful. Freeing ourselves from that would be a great relief. I have a ways to go when it comes to cutting down on the clutter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....About 14 years ago or so, I lived in an apartment that burned down. Yeah it was traumatizing in a way, but it was liberating also. I was freed of all of my junk and all of my attachments all at once.....
    A divorce will have a similar effect but there is a bit more choice involved.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,577x in 25,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking how we have so many things that we dont really need. About three years ago I thinned my stuff out majorly. I was sick of the junk. The house can get so filled up. I mean you get so many gifts from others and they become sentimental and you dont want to get rid of them. But about three years ago I put my house up for sale and I got rid of almost everything. I kept my favorite things, just a stack of my most treasured books, and my clothes. I try not to keep or get anythign that I know I wont use. But I was thinking on this and remembered how when i used to go camping. I would take my backpack, and my backpack size SAS survival handbook my militariy grade water purifier, my compass. The car would be filled with so much crap just for a weekend camping trip. LoL, like you need a compass to go to the campground you have been going to since you were a child, or to navigate the hiking trails that you could walk blindfolded. This made me laugh so much when I thought about it. Talk about being geared up like a navy seal just to go camping. LoL

I have been purging -- giving away, donating and discarding for a few years now. I had 3 circular saws, 5 cordless drills etc. All from the days of building decks, fences etc. for friends, neighbors, family, etc. Someone would call and ask for help, I'd go to the basement and had left it at X's house so I'd go get another one and they'd pile up. I practice law. Kept one each. I really like things gone, the house decluttered, the basement simpler - and my Son in Law, Stepson etc. have all enjoyed the tools I've given away.

Same with clothes, family historical stuff, all kinds of crap that the kids or St. Vincent De Paul Society will appreciate.

Simplify, de-clutter.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-01-2019)

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 771
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,764x in 13,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    I'll take them if you don't want them! As long as they aren't plastic.
    They make great slingshot ammo.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

16. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Helena (02-01-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    A divorce will have a similar effect but there is a bit more choice involved.
    I am loving your sense of humor. We need more of that here.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread