Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Fann View Post
    If I wanted to do things the way those savages do I would be killing every Englishman I ran across. This is the 21st century, it's high time they grew up and got over it and high time you quit apologizing for them.
    I offer no apologies for anyone. Understanding the various factors that contribute to creating a certain situation is not "apologizing".
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

William (02-04-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    I wonder how you cloak atheism? I wonder why you would. As a good Catholic, I'd like everyone to be Catholic. I don't actually care though. This isn't a team sport or something of that nature. What others believe has no effect on me.
    Nor should it.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (02-04-2019)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I offer no apologies for anyone. Understanding the various factors that contribute to creating a certain situation is not "apologizing".
    I do understand. So what, how does that change anything?

Achievements:
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    I wonder how you cloak atheism? I wonder why you would. As a good Catholic, I'd like everyone to be Catholic. I don't actually care though. This isn't a team sport or something of that nature. What others believe has no effect on me.
    Until they start persecuting you.

Achievements:
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Lots of deviations from the OP from the OP.

Okay, I'm going to go on the assumption that you are a Christian. What flavor of Christian, I can't tell. But as with Christians, so with atheists. Lots of flavors. Not one-size-fits-all, as I'm sure you're discovering.

In Christianity, the flavor I'm most familiar with is Evangelical (Independent Biblical Fundamentalists) There are terms such as "baby Christian", and "newborn babes, desiring the sincere milk of the word", moving on to more mature Christians who are able to chew meat, so to speak. The idea is that you grow as a Christian, in your Christian walk.

And so it is with atheists. All flavors, some babies, some mature.

Some militant and fanatical, some reserved with a more conservative approach to ideas.

I know for myself, I am not the same atheist I was some years back. Still an atheist, albeit I have grown up some.

So, a "new" atheist you might encounter today, might not be the same atheist you might encounter years down the road. Or, he very well might be.

This is the human condition, regardless. Some grow, change and mature with wisdom and experience; a lot of that is dependent on factors that not everyone around them will have experienced or understand.
    Good post, I'll get back to this when I have a minute.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until they start persecuting you.
    I have never been persecuted. I don't care what people believe.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,642x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    What bigotry would that be?

I have no problem with you practicing your religion. I have no problem with Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, Jains, Animists or believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster practicing theirs. It is all pretty much the same to me. As I said earlier, if it beings people comfort and helps them find peace and strength, it is a good thing. It is when people like you get hold of it and accuse others who don't share your particular beliefs of being bigots for no reason other that their refusal to embrace your beliefs, that it becomes a problem. Even then, it isn't the religion itself that is the problem. It is the practitioner.

You just accused me of bigotry because I don't embrace your religion, so I would say... today. It doesn't really matter because you don't matter, but it does highlight the sort of intolerance and mindset that leads to thousand year conflicts.
    May you be touched by his noodlie appendage... just sayin'...

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm talking to you - the ones who piss and moan about God ordering the Hebrews to exterminate the Cannanites. Or Job's family getting killed. Or kids getting cancer. Or any number of things you pretend to be outraged about.
    I never piss and moan about mythical characters. Do you piss and moan about the Easter Rabbit?
    Why aren't you outraged about the third term abortion laws in New York if you are so worried about kids getting killed? Oh, they're not kids for another minute or two, you say? How about the people who were slaughtered in the Middle East by a certain violent religion we all know? Or how about the deaths from illegal drugs or sex trafficking of minors?
    I'm not happy whatsoever about the new NY law and I expressed my disgust in letters to various congressmen. What have you done? I mean, besides piss and moan?

The truth is that you couldn't care less about violence and injustice because you are more concerned about things that may or may not have really happened in a book revered by Christians. Isn't that right?
    One thing is certain -- you have no clue as to what atheists think.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I never piss and moan about mythical characters. Do you piss and moan about the Easter Rabbit?

I'm not happy whatsoever about the new NY law and I expressed my disgust in letters to various congressmen. What have you done? I mean, besides piss and moan?

One thing is certain -- you have no clue as to what atheists think.
    No, I don't miss and moan about the Easter bunny, nor the Loch Ness monster. And after 20 years of reading their screed in places like this I may not know what atheists think but I sure as hell know what they say.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't miss and moan about the Easter bunny, nor the Loch Ness monster. And after 20 years of reading their screed in places like this I may not know what atheists think but I sure as hell know what they say.
    I don't think so. The only reason I responded is because you missed the mark so far on the NYC abortion thing.

Plus, I've been an atheist for a very long time and I've seen no screed. Care to share it with me? The atheists I know have never mentioned it, nor have they mentioned a screed. I suppose it's possible I've missed it. You see, atheism doesn't follow a pattern or set belief. Rather, it's a non-belief in superstitionism.

I have seen newer atheists who are angry at religion and they lash out. I've seen that and I think that's common, but it fades quickly as they realize people of faith are just doing the best they can do. I think atheists feel let down when they finally admit organized religion is bogus, but that's probably just human nature.

You also should understand that atheism does not mean the person thinks there's "nothing out there." Atheism simply means the person doesn't believe in an almighty "entity." Most folks don't realize that. I know many atheists and they have varying views. Many are conservative and pro-life, others are liberal and pro-choice.

Religious folks are not the enemies of atheists, and I hope you will one day come to understand that atheists are not the enemies of religious folks. We can all get along if we have compassion and empathy.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

+ Reply to Thread