Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISIL leader believed to have fled coup attempt

Trouble in the 'Caliphate?' Within a week or so, the Caliphate will be no more. The day after the Caliphate was announced to the world, in 2014, I said it would not last long. I was correct.

ISIL will not go away, they will transform into an international terrorist organization and return to the shadows- as I said when I predicted the Caliphate's demise. That brings up a couple of questions. First, al Qaeda told ISIL that their plans for a Caliphate were not ripe. So will al Qaeda absorb ISIL fighters who may be disappointed at ISIL's failure? Second, will ISIL remain focused mainly on the Middle East, or will it expand its operations to focus elsewhere?

The Isis leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, survived a coup attempt last month launched by foreign fighters in his eastern Syrian hideout, intelligence officials believe, and the terrorist group has since placed a bounty on the main plotter’s head.

The incident is believed to have taken place on 10 January in a village near Hajin in the Euphrates River valley, where the jihadist group is clinging to its last sliver of land. Regional intelligence officials say a planned move against Baghdadi led to a firefight between foreign fighters and the fugitive terrorist chief’s bodyguards, who spirited him away to the nearby deserts.

Isis has offered a reward to whomever kills Abu Muath al-Jazairi, believed to be a veteran foreign fighter, one of an estimated 500 Isis fighters thought to remain in the area. While Isis did not directly accuse Jazairi, placing a bounty on the head of one of its senior members is an unusual move and intelligence officials believe he was the central plotter.

“They got wind of it just in time,” an intelligence official said. “There was a clash and two people were killed. This was the foreign fighter element, some of his most trusted people.”
    Last edited by Peter1469; 02-09-2019 at 05:27 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (02-09-2019)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,010x in 10,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

Trouble in the 'Caliphate?' Within a week or so, the Caliphate will be no more. The day after the Caliphate was announced to the world, in 2014, I said it would not last long. I was correct.
    You were absolutely correct Peter. ISIS didn't last long.

You did hit some nails on the head. Outcomes in Syria never reached a level of vital national interests to the United States. US covert military operations were never required in proving you correct. In fact 6 months before the Islamic State unleashed it's terror attacks in Paris, your claim that they were hardly any threat at all and that there were many other terror groups we should focus on turned out to be spot on. You were also correct when standing me corrected. You'll remember, I tried to link to investigations in each of every one of our 50 united States of America of ISIS activity right here in this country.....and you correctly reminded me that these intelligence agencies often must inflate the threat matrix to ensure their full funding. You were the Member here who taught me, Pete, that these heads of agencies coming to Congress warning us that the Islamic State was indeed a threat....was merely a funding agenda.

ISIL will not go away, they will transform into an international terrorist organization and return to the shadows- as I said when I predicted the Caliphate's demise. That brings up a couple of questions. First, al Qaeda told ISIL that their plans for a Caliphate were not ripe. So will al Qaeda absorb ISIL fighters who may be disappointed at ISIL's failure? Second, will ISIL remain focused mainly on the Middle East, or will it expand its operations to focus elsewhere?
    Too fluid to tell. As we know, many 'affiliate' or declare allegiance to ISIS but doesn't really mean ISIL coordinates or controls events within or outside the ME. Terror cells often take credit for jihadist attacks, it aids a great deal in recruitment. You'll remember ISIS had a quite successful recruitment campaign even right here in the US much of it due to their success on the battlefields in the ME. Actually, I don't know if you'll remember that or not. You'll remember, you never took their recruitment abilities seriously, intel concerning such threats had 'full funding' at its' source.

I'm just so sorry Peter. The entire ISIS issue, our level of involvement, the threat matrix they presented.....was your biggest swing and miss on this forum. To date,

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    You were absolutely correct Peter. ISIS didn't last long.

You did hit some nails on the head. Outcomes in Syria never reached a level of vital national interests to the United States. US covert military operations were never required in proving you correct. In fact 6 months before the Islamic State unleashed it's terror attacks in Paris, your claim that they were hardly any threat at all and that there were many other terror groups we should focus on turned out to be spot on. You were also correct when standing me corrected. You'll remember, I tried to link to investigations in each of every one of our 50 united States of America of ISIS activity right here in this country.....and you correctly reminded me that these intelligence agencies often must inflate the threat matrix to ensure their full funding. You were the Member here who taught me, Pete, that these heads of agencies coming to Congress warning us that the Islamic State was indeed a threat....was merely a funding agenda.

Too fluid to tell. As we know, many 'affiliate' or declare allegiance to ISIS but doesn't really mean ISIL coordinates or controls events within or outside the ME. Terror cells often take credit for jihadist attacks, it aids a great deal in recruitment. You'll remember ISIS had a quite successful recruitment campaign even right here in the US much of it due to their success on the battlefields in the ME. Actually, I don't know if you'll remember that or not. You'll remember, you never took their recruitment abilities seriously, intel concerning such threats had 'full funding' at its' source.

I'm just so sorry Peter. The entire ISIS issue, our level of involvement, the threat matrix they presented.....was your biggest swing and miss on this forum. To date,
    That is almost entirely made up. You feel OK?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a lot of resources and energy to create and run a state. That will prevent IS from seriously taking on a serious international terror role. More traditional terrorist groups are attempting that, and are a greater danger to the US. - Peter1469 May of 2015

No, sadly this self created monster wasn't strong enough to whip the sheep into a war supporting frenzy . But the next one "BAFHA" just might be, as sheep are very stupid creatures and cannot discern patterns over time very well. - donttread May of 2015

In response to the question, how much does ISIS threaten America.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WASHINGTON — In a dramatic assessment of the domestic threat posed by the Islamic State, FBI Director James Comey said Thursday there are "hundreds, maybe thousands" of people across the country who are receiving recruitment overtures from the terrorist group or directives to attack the U.S.
    Comey said the Islamic State, also known as ISIL, is leveraging social media in unprecedented ways through Twitter and other platforms, directing messages to the smartphones of "disturbed people'' who could be pushed to launch assaults on U.S. targets.
    "It's like the devil sitting on their shoulders, saying 'kill, kill, kill,''' Comey said in a meeting with reporters.

James Comey May 2015

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.cnn.com/2015/02/16/afric...-north-africa/

While Peter and donttread are telling us no international threat, you can see in this article from Feb 2015...from CNN even.

ISIS is under pressure in parts of Iraq and battling a variety of adversaries in Syria, but it's metastasizing at warp speed elsewhere, most dangerously in Egypt and Libya.It also has support in Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan. And the leader of the group ravaging northern Nigeria, Boko Haram, has expressed his admiration of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
    Again....ISIL metastasizing at warp speed while Peter told us all in May of this same year that ISIL wasn't a threat. At all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ISIS has been consistently underestimated. We're ignorant to the threats posed because it hasn't yet been thrown into our faces here in the US. Yet.

As I have been saying...writing.....this threat will have to be confronted. And by these United States. Either today......yesterday...tomorrow...or later....we're going to have to confront ISIS. Ain't gonna be Italy or India. Ain't gonna be the Chinese nor Russians.

It must be the US, and it must be savage. -Ransom June 2015.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a lot of resources and energy to create and run a state. That will prevent IS from seriously taking on a serious international terror role. More traditional terrorist groups are attempting that, and are a greater danger to the US. - Peter1469 May of 2015

No, sadly this self created monster wasn't strong enough to whip the sheep into a war supporting frenzy . But the next one "BAFHA" just might be, as sheep are very stupid creatures and cannot discern patterns over time very well. - donttread May of 2015

In response to the question, how much does ISIS threaten America.
    Comprehension is an enemy of yours, I see.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Comprehension is an enemy of yours, I see.
    The record showing your previous statements on ISIL clearly an enemy of yours, you see.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The record showing your previous statements on ISIL clearly an enemy of yours, you see.
    No, they don't. My position has been clear and consistent on ISIL and the Caliphate as well as the difference between running a proto-state and running a transnational terrorist organization.

Your characterizations of what I said above are purely and deliberately fiction.

I am going to bump the OP to try to get this thread on track. You f'ed it up.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread