User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on the best kind of pan to use (non toxic)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,722x in 4,214 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Thank you for that. That is good information. I also don't buy boxed sets. So the pans I bought say PFOA free I also linked the pans I bought in the OP. But I was concerned because I thought the pans I bought were not Teflon, but then I realized they were. Of course the label said non toxic PFOA free so I was pleased. But after investigating a bit, I feel uneasy about it.

So, they stopped using the PFOA in the Teflon making process in 2015 but they just changed what....well here let me just copy and paste and link it.
    http://www.berkeleywellness.com/heal...u-stick-teflon

Excerpt:
    But the coatings contain very little or no PFOA, according to the American Cancer Society, since the chemical is burned off during the manufacturing process. And as of the end of 2015, PFOA is no longer being used in cookware production (with a few exceptions, it is no longer being used at all in the U.S.). Still, PFOA persists in the environment, including some drinking water, and in our bodies.

As an alternative to PFOA, which is a long-chain perfluorinated compound, manufacturers are using short-chain perfluorinated compounds. But as is often the case when companies replace one chemical with another, there’s no evidence that the new ones are any safer. In a 2014 paper in Chemo*sphere, scientists from Boston University and several European institutions expressed concern that little is known about the toxicological profile of these short-chain fluorochemicals, and that these chemicals also can accumulate in the environment and in the human body.
    I dont know if foreign made brands are PFOA free, I like ceramic pans, costco from time to time has a two pack a 12 inch and 8 inch and they are excellent.

People ruin their pots and pans 2 ways, they use High heat, you dont use high heat with pans that are coated, use medium, and take care that dont use metal utensils.

No matter how you take care of any coated pans theres a lifespan, its not like cast iron and a good stainless set that last forever.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

GROUCHO MARX,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-11-2019)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,390x in 3,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went all stainless last year except for one non-stick griddle pan and one silicone spatula for eggs and pancakes. I got tired of using steel utensils and realizing too late that I was cooking in a coated pan.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-11-2019)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,026x in 4,765 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use coated pans and always have. I won't use one that is scratched but otherwise I use them with no fear. I don't have any metal utensils.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our freedom and our society and our morals.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 69,511x in 47,319 Posts
    Mentioned
    2178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    There are all different levels of quality with greenpan, several models, I have middle of the road pan and I like it.

Ive had a full set of Wusthof Kitchen knives for over 20 yrs. I stole the beginning of the set from SamsClub Auction the first couple of days after it started, they had 7 piece sets on auction and I got it for 80 bucks. That was an incredible steal.

I added to it for next 5 yrs and now I have alot of them they hang by magnet next to my cutting board. I a couple of them daily sometimes a few times daily and I only have to sharpen them once a year. I steel them every other time I used them
    My knives are Wusthof too.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

+ Reply to Thread