Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Urban Agriculture Can Improve Food Security In US Cities

How Urban Agriculture Can Improve Food Security In US Cities

DC has some urban farming, but not nearly as much as it should.

During the partial federal shutdown in December 2018 and January 2019, news reports showed furloughed government workers standing in line for donated meals. These images were reminders that for an estimated one out of eight Americans, food insecurity is a near-term risk.

In California, where I teach, 80 percent of the population lives in cities. Feeding the cities of the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area, with a total population of some 7 million involves importing 2.5 to 3 million tons of food per day over an average distance of 500 to 1,000 miles.

This system requires enormous amounts of energy and generates significant greenhouse gas emissions. It also is extremely vulnerable to large-scale disruptions, such as major earthquakes.

And the food it delivers fails to reach 1 of every 8 people in the region who live under the poverty line – mostly senior citizens, children and minorities. Access to quality food is limited both by poverty and the fact that on average, California’s low-income communities have 32.7 percent fewer supermarkets than high-income areas within the same cities.

Many organizations see urban agriculture as a way to enhance food security. It also offers environmental, health and social benefits. Although the full potential of urban agriculture is still to be determined, based on my own research I believe that raising fresh fruits, vegetables and some animal products near consumers in urban areas can improve local food security and nutrition, especially for underserved communities.
    Read the rest at the link.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

donttread (02-14-2019),Ethereal (02-14-2019),jigglepete (02-14-2019)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,791x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall reading that Singapore (?) actually requires roof top gardens in the city...I agree with the premise of the article. I can't for the life of me see a downside to this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-14-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70% of Americans live in poor growing conditions six or more months a year. There will have to be greenhouses built for them unless they can their harvest and it lasts through the fall/winter/spring.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

+ Reply to Thread