User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A British view of President Trump?

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Don's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,934x in 2,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The British didn't have much use for George Washington or the other founders either. Not much has changed with those snooty rascals.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I wasn't trying to be cheeky (and I read it on an American forum), I am interested in what people here think about your President, and I'm looking for honest feedback. Is what this man writes correct, and if not - why not? And AFIK, not even all Americans support the way your President acts.

Anyway, this is just one person's opinion, and I think it's a bit OTT - but if what he is saying is totally untrue, it should be dead easy to refute it.
    Those who find Trump to be the most odious President in US history would agree with the description, but they would not, for the most part, represent the opinion of his supporters, who are quite willing to overlook his personality defects and methodology provided that he delivers on his campaign promises.

The US is a very politically divided country and those divisions are primarily both left/right and rural/urban with Trump's biggest support hailing from the rural right. The rural right and urban left constitute two very disparate solitudes in America. To the rural right, Trump's lack of any of the traditional qualities that one might expect in a President is actually a selling point. It is interpreted as sincerity. The rural right tends to distrust charming, well-spoken and obviously educated 'city slickers'. An apparently wealthy entrepreneur who is very rough around the edges, speaks simply and emotes a great deal, is the epitome of the self-made common man. The fact that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, notwithstanding.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-15-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is not just a British view but a majority view of him by the whole world. He only has a base of 35% of Americans. They are the only people on the planet who don't see what the rest of the entire world is seeing. Don't hold me to that 35% either it might be lower now. He is losing supporters daily. But the OP is pretty accurate.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (02-15-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I think it is not just a British view but a majority view of him by the whole world. He only has a base of 35% of Americans. They are the only people on the planet who don't see what the rest of the entire world is seeing. Don't hold me to that 35% either it might be lower now. He is losing supporters daily. But the OP is pretty accurate.
    I liked your old avatar better.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Saw this on another board where I sometimes lurk -

It's against the rules to link to another forum, but I guess we can find it on Quora.

In short, the British, or at least that person, and you admiringly, dislike Trump as a person.

I first saw politics as the cult of personality under Obama, where if you criticized his policies you were condemned for attacking his person. I'm sure it goes back further.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The reason many on the left hate him though is why many on the right love him.

"Trump was elected because he's a rule-breaker, a bit unpredictable, people wanted that from him, because he's a bit of a meanie, they wanted that from him, they wanted him to bully the people that we don't like and that have been harassing and making life miserable for us for a long time." --Eli Harmon
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump is a winning! doer who (I think unintentionally) makes a mockery of American politics because he belies the manipulative, self-serving deceit of entrenched politicians in both parties.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Yeah, it looks compressed or something.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    The Kook Avatar is compliments to Mr V I will alternate. Kook avatar will be back. I thought it was fun personally. I like the Kook avatar too.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Mister D (02-15-2019),MisterVeritis (02-15-2019),Peter1469 (02-16-2019)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,041
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    William's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    In short, the British, or at least that person, and you admiringly, dislike Trump as a person.

I first saw politics as the cult of personality under Obama, where if you criticized his policies you were condemned for attacking his person. I'm sure it goes back further.

I don't 'admiringly, dislike' Trump as a person. You can't 'admiringly dislike' anyone or anything - that's a contradiction in terms. So I don't know what you mean.

I don't know President Trump as a person - I only know the picture he chooses to present to the world, and I guess it depends on your values whether you find that an attractive personality or not. I don't, and I would not want to be represented in the world by someone like that. As a person and as a friend - he might be totally different, and I hope he is.

But we can only judge public figures by what they choose to show us, and we had a very good conservative PM in Australia until August last year. He spoke and behaved like a gentleman, and did not put forward extreme policies. But that wasn't good enough for the Australian conservatives - so they knifed him in the back, and appointed a religious loony who is totally slimy. For example - the day before he put his name forward to oust the PM, he was on TV putting his arm around the man and saying this was his Prime Minister.

So now we have someone who wants to re-open the refugee detention centres, brought a lump of coal into Parliament to show how great it is, and wants legislation to allow religious schools to expel gay teachers and kids. I'm not political in the political party sense, but I think the world is going mad with right wing extremism, and both our PM and your President are good examples of that. Why would any sensible person, American, Australian, or British want that?
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (02-15-2019),Just AnotherPerson (02-16-2019)

+ Reply to Thread