User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazon's Lord of the Rings Series Confirms Its Setting, in the Vaguest Sense Possible

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazon's Lord of the Rings Series Confirms Its Setting, in the Vaguest Sense Possible

Amazon's Lord of the Rings Series Confirms Its Setting, in the Vaguest Sense Possible

Fans of Tolkien's Middle Earth understand that The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings is only a small part of Tolkien's history of Middle Earth. These books, and the resulting movies, take place at the end of the Third Age. (The defeat of Sauron ushers in the Fourth Age.) The Amazon project will be set somewhere during the Second Age. Fans recall that the Second Age ended with Eldendil defeating, temporarily, Sauron. Mortally wounded the One Ring passed to his son, Isldur who refused to destroy the One Ring and was slain by Orcs at Gladden Fields. The One Ring lay hidden until Smeagol discovers it during the Third Age, setting the stage for The Hobbit. Aragorn is Isldur's descendant.

So the Amazon series will be set in the Second Age. Will it be at the end to give the back story to the Last Alliance between Elf and Man? Or will it be prior to that? I guess we will have to watch to find out.

Last week, Amazon started quietly teasing just where its massive Lord of the Rings TV show would take place in the Middle-earth timeline. Now, the speculation has been confirmed: We’re heading back into the Age of Númenor.

The launch of Amazon’s social channels for the upcoming series last month gave us a map—because all good Middle-earth stories start with a nice map, honestly. It was pretty undetailed, but that didn’t stop it from giving us some vague hints of speculation as to just when the show could be set.

But today, the company launched a new version of the interactive map that added a pretty significant landmass, before indeed confirming what many LotR fans had theorized: The show will be set in the Second Age, and the isle of Númenor will play an important role.

For those fans unfamiliar with the vast complexities of Middle-earth history, there are basically four main “Ages” in the timeline: The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are set in the Third Age (with the former heralding the Fourth Age with the defeat of Sauron), for example, after the battle of the Last Alliance in Mordor and Sauron’s momentary defeat marked the conclusion of the Second Age. So we’re essentially seeing a build-up to that process from the Lord of the Rings movie saga’s opening—which gave us the Last Alliance’s climactic assault and the death of Elendil, the King of Gondor, with the One Ring passing to his son, Isildur—in this new show.

Or at least, we might. The Second Age lasted a very long time (nearly 3,500 years), so while the formation of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men and Sauron’s rise occurs at the tail end of the Age, the addition of Númenor to Amazon’s map at least suggests the show could potentially not follow that—which would’ve been a way to tie the series more directly into the lineage and iconography of the Peter Jackson saga—but instead chronicle the downfall of the fabled civilization of Man that Aragorn’s bloodline was descended from.

The map of Middle-earth revealed by Amazon so far. Plenty of space to fill out!
    Image: Amazon
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,265x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of Sauron being the bad guy, they'll weave Trump into it, somehow. Pelosi will be Isldur, and AOC will be the gallant Strider..............
    I hate remakes and this might be an attempt to issue in a newer more modern writing of LotR.
    Take to heart, the originals are still in print. Huzzah!!
    (humor for todays' liberals who can't read)
    It takes nerve to add to the story of a deceased author and this is all about making more money. Can we say Star Wars?
    I had read Brook's Shannara Series, then they made into a movie. I thought it was more PC than anything else. Made me sick to watch the second installment
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-09-2019),Peter1469 (03-09-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tolkien started, and his son finished, the Slimarillion which was a collect of short stories set in the First and Second Age, so maybe Amazon will use that as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Instead of Sauron being the bad guy, they'll weave Trump into it, somehow. Pelosi will be Isldur, and AOC will be the gallant Strider..............
    I hate remakes and this might be an attempt to issue in a newer more modern writing of LotR.
    Take to heart, the originals are still in print. Huzzah!!
    (humor for todays' liberals who can't read)
    It takes nerve to add to the story of a deceased author and this is all about making more money. Can we say Star Wars?
    I had read Brook's Shannara Series, then they made into a movie. I thought it was more PC than anything else. Made me sick to watch the second installment
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (03-09-2019)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,265x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Tolkien started, and his son finished, the Slimarillion which was a collect of short stories set in the First and Second Age, so maybe Amazon will use that as a guide.
    One can certainly hope. But it is still a quest for more money, IMHO
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-09-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    One can certainly hope. But it is still a quest for more money, IMHO
    Of course it was. Without the quest for money we wouldn't have TV.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (03-09-2019),MisterVeritis (03-09-2019)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAAAAHHHHHHH - I'm sooooooo excited!!!!!! Wooooooo Hooooooo.......Yippee.........

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. hehehehehe

I think it will be a little of both. I just hope and pray that the production and acting is an equivalent to the quality of GOT.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (03-09-2019),MisterVeritis (03-09-2019),Peter1469 (03-09-2019)

+ Reply to Thread