Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    3/4 poodle 1/4 golden retriever.

5 months old. Showing some aggression towards the youngest member of family (2.5 year old daughter). Won't show aggression to any others in family.

I purposely put him (not neutered) in awkward situations and positions to test him for aggression. And if need be, correct it. Hasn't shown any signs of aggression towards me ever except during play where I bat at his paws and stuff. Play growling and such is fine but that business growling is cool only when done to an intruder.

But him growling at my daughter when I'm not near is a problem for me.

Open to suggestions. Dog savvy people welcome. Just remember I am on team people and this dog will either figure out his place in my pack (the bottom) or he will be likely euthanized.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    Sometimes children make animals very nervous because the animal doesn't know what the kid is going to do. It could also be a show of dominance. Dogs will hump each other to demonstrate dominance, so watch for that (dog language is really weird). It's good to correct the dog when it's doing that, not by yelling but by using your outstretched fingers, made stiff, formed in a bit of a circle and sort of "punch" between the neck and the shoulder, or hold it as mom would to move it: because that's what mom would do. Also, your baby may be hyper around the dog and that could be something to watch as well, which goes back to the trust issue.

Good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-12-2019)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,562
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,991x in 18,674 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The problem with wolf hybrids is that they are actually more instinctively fearful than dogs. (something I read about after the fact!) They make terrible guard dogs because they are more likely to run away, unless they are cornered. As to being escape artists, I'll take your word for it - we didn't keep ours more than a couple of weeks and she was almost always supervised when she was out of doors. I don't think I'll repeat the experiment. We had one dog that was a very proficient escape artist - he was a terrier/$#@!er spaniel cross. He was really smart and if he couldn't climb it he tunnelled under it. The crazy thing was, he didn't want to run away, he always wanted to get back into the house. He hated being outside by himself. So he would 'escape' and show up at the front door. We should have known because when he was six-weeks-old he climbed out of a 2.5 foot tall wooden box so that he could come and sleep with us. He was about as big as an overgrown guinea pig at the time.
    We had ours for 12 years, until he died from liver cancer....the vet was always quite the experience...muzzled, my husband had to hold the leash because 'Winston' was too strong for me...we even hired a professional dog trainer, who came to the house...he came twice and, never came back, no phone call, nothing.

My husband and I were experienced dog owners and had trained several dogs before that, but, we weren't equipped to handle a hybrid.

That dog got up on the dining room table, the kitchen counters, he went through a window, he stole a German chocolate cake from the counter.

We kept him because, he wasn't anyone else's problem, we are the ones who went and got him.... the good thing was, he wasn't aggressive to us, my son was his companion, he could do anything with that dog and, it was tolerated... probably why we didn't get rid of him. (My son was a teenager at the time.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-12-2019)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... All this speculation and such...

Anyways. We've had this dog for two months (ish?) or so. We got him when he was 12 weeks old - plenty of time to develop bite control within his previous pack.

That being said, he's been fine for the most part. But he did take a swipe at the same child a while ago towards her face and scratched her up a bit - nothing serious and pending further investigation it didn't warrant it axing the dog. The toddler in question was simply going to rough on the young puppy. He reacted and the rest is history. That one was on us for not being attentive enough. Lesson learned.

Been teaching him who is who and what is what. Short amount of turf early on, now he has access to most of the house. He's had some relapses with housebreaking - but that goes with the territory of dog ownership. Had other dogs in the past, but it has been a while.

He doesn't growl at any of the other children, just the youngest and smallest. The dog is plenty smart and knows when he is getting watched and behaves accordingly.

I'm going to try some supervised good rewards with said child and dog and try to build some positive associations there. She may have rubbed him wrong in the past and he's holding a grudge that needs to be gotten over. Regardless if he gets over it, he needs to change that behavior.

I see. He's growling because he's a little afraid of the toddler. Yeah, they need a redo, but this time the toddler needs to know what hurts the dog and not to do that i.e. no biting, ear pulling, fur pulling, nose pinching, tail pulling, eye gouging ... Toddlers can be painful to their older siblings who are old enough to make allowances or escape.

I remember my year-old Shiba Inu hiding behind a chair in the corner in order to avoid a grabby persistent toddler. We shut that down pretty quickly. I didn't want the dog developing a bad attitude toward small children.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

ODB (03-13-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My grandmother's poodles didn't like my siblings and I. They were older dogs though.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,753x in 1,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... All this speculation and such...

Anyways. We've had this dog for two months (ish?) or so. We got him when he was 12 weeks old - plenty of time to develop bite control within his previous pack.

That being said, he's been fine for the most part. But he did take a swipe at the same child a while ago towards her face and scratched her up a bit - nothing serious and pending further investigation it didn't warrant it axing the dog. The toddler in question was simply going to rough on the young puppy. He reacted and the rest is history. That one was on us for not being attentive enough. Lesson learned.

Been teaching him who is who and what is what. Short amount of turf early on, now he has access to most of the house. He's had some relapses with housebreaking - but that goes with the territory of dog ownership. Had other dogs in the past, but it has been a while.

He doesn't growl at any of the other children, just the youngest and smallest. The dog is plenty smart and knows when he is getting watched and behaves accordingly.

I'm going to try some supervised good rewards with said child and dog and try to build some positive associations there. She may have rubbed him wrong in the past and he's holding a grudge that needs to be gotten over. Regardless if he gets over it, he needs to change that behavior.

All good news. Kudos.

This is the point where we need you to post a picture!

Volvo

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Sometimes children make animals very nervous because the animal doesn't know what the kid is going to do. It could also be a show of dominance. Dogs will hump each other to demonstrate dominance, so watch for that (dog language is really weird). It's good to correct the dog when it's doing that, not by yelling but by using your outstretched fingers, made stiff, formed in a bit of a circle and sort of "punch" between the neck and the shoulder, or hold it as mom would to move it: because that's what mom would do. Also, your baby may be hyper around the dog and that could be something to watch as well, which goes back to the trust issue.

Good luck.
    Canine correction. Yeah I pretty much roll the way dogs do - I mimick teeth around their neck and put them on their back when the cross the threshold of behavior warrants it or when voice doesn't work. Or it is simply not fast enough. Dogs do it to dogs and it works pretty well.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

Never used shock/vibration collars before. But they are awesome. Haven't hooked up the shock function yet, but plan to self administer later... For science...

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out you can crank up those collars pretty good. Not exactly something I'd want stuck to my neck.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out you can crank up those collars pretty good. Not exactly something I'd want stuck to my neck.

I think that they are a good way to create a fearful, anxious dog.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,562
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,991x in 18,674 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think that they are a good way to create a fearful, anxious dog.
    Oh, pffft.... they are a good way to teach a dog not to run into the street and get hit by a car.... they're a good way to get a dog to respect a horse, not to chase it and, either get shot by the horse owner or, kicked in the head by the horse.

I prefer the few minutes it takes to teach the dog those things aren't acceptable, to the alternative.

If used properly and, I know we've had this discussion before, a TRAINING collar is harmless, more often than not, the shock setting doesn't have to be used, because either the tone or, vibrate settings do the trick.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (03-13-2019)

+ Reply to Thread